U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:41 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,041,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean34597 View Post
And it shouldn't be. Personally, I think we'd all be a lot better off speaking Spanish. We'd be able to communicate better with our 600 million neighbors to the south. We'd probably stop meddling in their internal affairs as much. And we'd be able to travel there with much more confidence.

Hell, I mean, the Brits hate our guts anyway. What's the point with continuing with this "English" charade? Speaking Spanish would help us in our daily lives and represent a gigantic middle finger aimed at London. Folks, that's called a win-win.
So not only should illegals not have to learn English, but I should have to learn Spanish? Wow, that's interesting. Perhaps the Constitution should be thrown away and we'll translate it into Spanish. Sounds like a good plan to me. Maybe we could even convice everyone in Canada to learn Spanish, that way we all match. Or perhaps since English was the language of our founding fathers and the most widely used language (by far) for the last 200 years, immigrants, legal or not, should learn it so they can communicate with the majority of this country. Just a thought.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:57 AM

43 posts, read 138,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
So not only should illegals not have to learn English, but I should have to learn Spanish? Wow, that's interesting. Perhaps the Constitution should be thrown away and we'll translate it into Spanish. Sounds like a good plan to me. Maybe we could even convice everyone in Canada to learn Spanish, that way we all match. Or perhaps since English was the language of our founding fathers and the most widely used language (by far) for the last 200 years, immigrants, legal or not, should learn it so they can communicate with the majority of this country. Just a thought.
The way I see it, we could phase in Spanish over a 50 year period, with kids getting bilingual immersion. That way, my generation could pass without having to know Spanish, but the next generation would be well-prepared for the future. I don't see what people have against Spanish. Spain's a lovely country. And the Spanish are actually nice people.

As for Canada, they could remain English speaking, to absorb all the language refuseniks from here. Maybe that would help Canada's economy. Who knows?

Old 11-03-2007, 09:39 AM

43 posts, read 138,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
fyi: britain and america are allies...and most brits love americans....
Most? You sure you want to go there?

"Most" Brits call us "Septics," derived from "septic tank" which rhymes with "Yank." I know, verrrry creative. And these are the people whose language we're fighting to uphold here? Uh, no thanks.

Here's a lovely story which will clue you in to the "special relationship" between the UK and US:

Stop this racism | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited

Yep, 48 hours after 9/11, they were mocking and ridiculing us.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:44 AM

791 posts, read 1,980,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
Did you honestly know that English not the official language of the US.
Yes. And I will NOT vote for a candidate who uses Spanish at any point in his campaign for the purpose of appealing to a Spanish speaking audience.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:47 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
Yes. And I will NOT vote for a candidate who uses Spanish at any point in his campaign for the purpose of appealing to a Spanish speaking audience.
I take offense at that sort of 'ethnic pandering' as well------under most circumstances.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:51 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean34597 View Post
The way I see it, we could phase in Spanish over a 50 year period, with kids getting bilingual immersion. That way, my generation could pass without having to know Spanish, but the next generation would be well-prepared for the future. I don't see what people have against Spanish. Spain's a lovely country. And the Spanish are actually nice people.

As for Canada, they could remain English speaking, to absorb all the language refuseniks from here. Maybe that would help Canada's economy. Who knows?
For the record:

English is the lingua franca of the world as in aviation, diplomacy, science, etc.

Outside of most of Latin America and Spain; few people even speak Spanish.

Besides: the birthrate in Latin America is damn near replacement level------and, the 'dirty secret' is that in parts of Mexico, English, not Spanish (especially in some of the Indian enclaves due to so many of their people being here in the USA) is the language of choice.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:27 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,156,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post

George Bush did, and still lost California. LOL!

Old 11-03-2007, 11:21 AM

756 posts, read 1,756,050 times
Posted by" Willys

I agree-I made that decision too.If they speak any language other than english I will not be voting for them, the way I look at it is if they are not speaking english then they must not be talking to me and do not need my vote

Old 11-03-2007, 11:27 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,156,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
Posted by" Willys

I agree-I made that decision too.If they speak any language other than english I will not be voting for them, the way I look at it is if they are not speaking english then they must not be talking to me and do not need my vote
Wow.. so your criticizing people for speaking more than one language? Where has the U.S come to!

Old 11-03-2007, 12:48 PM

140 posts, read 79,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
Posted by" Willys

Agreed! And if the candidate wants to have a snowballs chance in hell they had better have a comprehensive immigration reform initiative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration