U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 02:46 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,049,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean34597 View Post
The way I see it, we could phase in Spanish over a 50 year period, with kids getting bilingual immersion. That way, my generation could pass without having to know Spanish, but the next generation would be well-prepared for the future. I don't see what people have against Spanish. Spain's a lovely country. And the Spanish are actually nice people.

As for Canada, they could remain English speaking, to absorb all the language refuseniks from here. Maybe that would help Canada's economy. Who knows?
Did you read my entire post? If you couldn't tell, I was being COMPLETELY sarcastic. I think wanting the US to speak Spanish is obsurd. If it ever comes to that I will move out of this country. This is NOT Mexico! If you're that interested in everyone speaking Spanish, move there.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:48 PM

23,065 posts, read 32,103,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Wow.. so your criticizing people for speaking more than one language? Where has the U.S come to!
nope i'm critical of accomdating people who have no interest in learning english. those in the US who refuse to learn english demonstrate the lack of respect they have for the US.

if you don't want to learn english, get your behind out of the US!!!!!!!!!! (the KINDEST words i could say)

Last edited by The Dissenter; 11-03-2007 at 03:05 PM..

Old 11-03-2007, 03:04 PM

756 posts, read 1,760,081 times
Posted by" ProLogic
Wow.. so your criticizing people for speaking more than one language? Where has the U.S come to!

I do not think I am criticizing anyone.I am saying that if you want to reach the voters in the U.S. you need to make them not only here you but also understand you. Most americans still only speak and understand english so that is where the votes are.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:58 PM

447 posts, read 707,313 times
[quote=Sean34597;1901990]The way I see it, we could phase in Spanish over a 50 year period, with kids getting bilingual immersion. That way, my generation could pass without having to know Spanish, but the next generation would be well-prepared for the future. I don't see what people have against Spanish. Spain's a lovely country. And the Spanish are actually nice people.

As for Canada, they could remain English speaking, to absorb all the language refuseniks from here. Maybe that would help Canada's economy. Who knows?

the pure fact of this being america and english is the common language is the reason people are opposed to being forced to learn another language...and the fact that most people are speaking of spanish as in mexico and not spain is because the majority of illegals come into this country from mexico, not spain.
spain may well be a beautiful country i have no doubt, but the issue isnt about spain. it is about our neighbor to the south.

seems there are alot of people insisting we americans are unwilling to communicate to immigrants, but what i really see is americans sick of millions of illegals coming here and demanding we do it in one language...spanish...what about the millions that have come here from other countries, should english speaking americans also be forced to speak every other language in the world too to accomadate every immigrant?
i dont think so...and the only ones i see b@@@@ing about us learning another language are spanish speakers themselves...get over it...i'm american and i am proud of it...i speak english.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean34597 View Post
Most? You sure you want to go there?

"Most" Brits call us "Septics," derived from "septic tank" which rhymes with "Yank." I know, verrrry creative. And these are the people whose language we're fighting to uphold here? Uh, no thanks.

Here's a lovely story which will clue you in to the "special relationship" between the UK and US:

Stop this racism | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited

Yep, 48 hours after 9/11, they were mocking and ridiculing us.

doesnt matter...i have met several brits myself, and none of them share the sentiment you are trying to make me believe they have.
you can beleive what you want, as it is your right and i respect that right...but please.........allow me to beleive what i choose to belive and know is true.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Did you read my entire post? If you couldn't tell, I was being COMPLETELY sarcastic. I think wanting the US to speak Spanish is obsurd. If it ever comes to that I will move out of this country. This is NOT Mexico! If you're that interested in everyone speaking Spanish, move there.

oops....maybe i should have read the posts a little further to see this response before i replied...
sorry...hope you accept my apology...i get a little caught up in this issue sometimes.....

Old 11-03-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
oops....maybe i should have read the posts a little further to see this response before i replied...
sorry...hope you accept my apology...i get a little caught up in this issue sometimes.....
No problem. Good to see so many on here with pride for this country. Some of the liberal ideas on here are pretty "out there".

Old 11-03-2007, 04:44 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,835,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
So not only should illegals not have to learn English, but I should have to learn Spanish? Wow, that's interesting. Perhaps the Constitution should be thrown away and we'll translate it into Spanish. Sounds like a good plan to me. Maybe we could even convice everyone in Canada to learn Spanish, that way we all match. Or perhaps since English was the language of our founding fathers and the most widely used language (by far) for the last 200 years, immigrants, legal or not, should learn it so they can communicate with the majority of this country. Just a thought.
Yeah great idea, while were at it, I would appreciate it if everyone would learn Italian too, oh and not just Italian, but the Sicilian dialect if possible, and the dialect of the people from the Palermo area preferably! Hey why not throw German in there also since I'm half Austrian too.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
Yeah great idea, while were at it, I would appreciate it if everyone would learn Italian too, oh and not just Italian, but the Sicilian dialect if possible, and the dialect of the people from the Palermo area preferably! Hey why not throw German in there also since I'm half Austrian too.
Guess we should find out why Mexicans deserve to be special. Any explainations?

Old 11-03-2007, 06:45 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,171,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
nope i'm critical of accomdating people who have no interest in learning english. those in the US who refuse to learn english demonstrate the lack of respect they have for the US.

if you don't want to learn english, get your behind out of the US!!!!!!!!!! (the KINDEST words i could say)
Why would not speaking English be Un-American? I know plenty of white people who speak Spanish with my dad. Even though both parties speak perfect English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration