Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:05 PM

447 posts, read 795,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
That isn't even true anyway. There is a huge demand here for office workers, mostly customer service telephone operators, who speak Spanish...and some of them speak ONLY Spanish.

I work in a large office building here in Dallas that also houses one of the area's larger insurance companies that deals with a lot of workman's comp cases. I see a lot of people walking around the building wearing ID badges from that company who can barely speak English.

i applied at verizon, the job sounded great, i got a phone interview, and thought it was going great, until the man asked if i was bilingual...i told him no, and that was the end of our interview....so who's the racist?

Old 11-06-2007, 06:39 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,864,235 times
when the spanish conquered mexico and the aztecs, did they learn to speak the aztec language, nahuatl? yet this particular group of illegal immigrations wants our country to accommodate them. how ironic is that?

Old 11-06-2007, 06:45 AM

646 posts, read 1,784,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
i applied at verizon, the job sounded great, i got a phone interview, and thought it was going great, until the man asked if i was bilingual...i told him no, and that was the end of our interview....so who's the racist?
Are you saying that the employer is racist just because they want someone with bilingual skills? Just like with any jobs, if you don't have the qualifications that they are looking for, they are unlikely to hire you.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:15 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,019,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
when the spanish conquered mexico and the aztecs, did they learn to speak the aztec language, nahuatl? yet this particular group of illegal immigrations wants our country to accommodate them. how ironic is that?
I catch your drift.........

Old 11-06-2007, 07:24 AM

447 posts, read 795,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
Are you saying that the employer is racist just because they want someone with bilingual skills? Just like with any jobs, if you don't have the qualifications that they are looking for, they are unlikely to hire you.
what i am saying is if people learned enough english after coming here there would be no need for the whole "are you bilingual?" thing.
i dont understand why spanish speaking people think they shouldnt have to learn english ...and i dont understand why employers cater to their demands...so yes, i guess in a way i think they are racist...against anyone who isnt spanish or anyone who doesnt speak spanish.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:13 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,439,378 times
Quote:
what i am saying is if people learned enough english after coming here there would be no need for the whole "are you bilingual?" thing.
i dont understand why spanish speaking people think they shouldnt have to learn english ...and i dont understand why employers cater to their demands...so yes, i guess in a way i think they are racist...against anyone who isnt spanish or anyone who doesnt speak spanish.
Well you must think a lot of employers are racist then, I call wanting multiple languages anti-racist because they are catering to more than just english speaking people, thus broadening their customer base.

Which race are they racist against that would require bilingual? Last time I checked there are many white people that know spanish and english.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:12 PM

43 posts, read 88,255 times
Quote:
Just to put this out there but i used to work for a company that ran payroll for many companies across the us. Some with 4 employees and some with over 1000. We received a huge deal and when you setup a companies payroll you have to setup their taxes as well. The company we setup dealt with almost all 50 states and Puerto Rico. So you have to call all of them to get the tax information such as rates at which employers pay for employees. When it came time to call Puerto Rico they figured out that they weren't getting anywhere with trying to speak enlgish because everyone spoke spanish. Being the only bi-lingual person in the office i was able to get the information we needed.

So did you ever think that maybe they have ties to other countries that they do business with like in this case.So they need someone to be able to communicate with other branches of there business.I know that some companies have there main offices in different countries all together. so just a thought.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,864,235 times
vivski, you don't want to work for verizon anyhow. you can go to verizonpathetic.com and see that they have had to pay over 300,000,000 in fines in less than 10 years in business. maybe they need to change the way that they do business!

Old 11-06-2007, 07:15 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,307,816 times
At least ATTEMPT to learn the English language, or learn to live with your self-imposed marginalization. Easy as that.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:45 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,364,650 times
What I don't understand is why there is no catering for other languages. There is no press 2 for Chinese, Japanese, French, Punjabi, etc., and most immigrants who speak these languages learn English. Why is it unfair to ask Spanish speaking people to do the same? In a way it's discrimination to those who exclusively speak any language other than Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration