U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:16 PM

238 posts, read 1,019,959 times

Advertisements

Have you been reading about the terrible flooding in Mexico? I suspect that this will cause huge financial loses and misery in that poor country. I suspect that America will start allowing many of the affected people to come to America, much like people in Central America were allowed to stay in the USA when they had a hurricane and earthquake.

Should America allow large numbers of immigrants to come to our country after huge natural disasters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 04:19 PM

14,341 posts, read 7,449,166 times
Is their country still there? If so, they should stay there and rebuild it.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:28 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,305,916 times
This happened in Villahermosa, Tabasco's capital, one of the wealthiest southeastern states, because of the huge oil activity going there, it was bad just like New Orleans

Global warming is starting to knock at our doors

Old 11-02-2007, 04:47 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,715,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Have you been reading about the terrible flooding in Mexico? I suspect that this will cause huge financial loses and misery in that poor country. I suspect that America will start allowing many of the affected people to come to America, much like people in Central America were allowed to stay in the USA when they had a hurricane and earthquake.

Should America allow large numbers of immigrants to come to our country after huge natural disasters?
NO. There are people from Honduras who came here after Hurricane Mitch in 1998 and have never left. Each time the US tries to return them to their home country, they come up with some new reason why they should be allowed to stay here. I am in favor of sending humanitarian aid to Mexico to help with disaster relief, but in all honesty I feel it would be a very big mistake to let 'refugees' into the US. Once here, they will never go home.

The idea should be to help the Mexicans in the hardhit areas get back on their feet. As much as the rest of the world despises us, we can be useful in the event of a natural disaster in other countries. And we typically help out first (or offer to) and ask questions later.

All of Mexico has not been devastated by these floods, I am sure there are safe areas in the country that the people who have lost their homes can be evacuated to. Having already suffered tragedies because of the floods, I would think it would be better for the victims psychologically to be around their fellow citizens who share their language and culture during these trying times.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:50 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,982,866 times
Nope. Send aid down there, but don't let them in here.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:51 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,823,206 times
sure,... we can take help many of their refugees as they helped Katrina victims.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:58 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,695,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post

Are you kidding me?

How many Katrina refugees or victims of the California wildfires has Mexico offered to take in?

They should stay in their own country and work to rebuild what was lost instead of heading for the nearest exit.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Are you kidding me?

How many Katrina refugees or victims of the California wildfires has Mexico offered to take in?

They should stay in their own country and work to rebuild what was lost instead of heading for the nearest exit.
Villahermosa residents aren't asking for asylum in the USA as far as I know.

People there is very proud of their roots and their origins and most people there earns a lot more money than the national standard because they work at PEMEX (Mexican state controlled oil company)

We sent help when Katrina happened though so it would be nice if we got some aid now

Old 11-02-2007, 05:27 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,695,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Villahermosa residents aren't asking for asylum in the USA as far as I know.

People there is very proud of their roots and their origins and most people there earns a lot more money than the national standard because they work at PEMEX (Mexican state controlled oil company)

We sent help when Katrina happened though so it would be nice if we got some aid now

And knowing our government and the generosity of the American people, I'm sure you'll get it.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
And knowing our government and the generosity of the American people, I'm sure you'll get it.
thank you very much from the bottom of my heart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or