U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:52 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,712,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Your long winded post did not say anything I already did not tell you.
......... You seem to think that expiration and becoming invalid are the same thing, they are not. SS numbers do become invalid at the expiration of work authorization. So in essence you told me lies, thinking you could get away with it. I suggest better research next time.

Quote:
As far as states and immigration laws , we will have to see the long term ramifications, economically speaking. I posted earlier in this thread how Major League Baseball has joined an already large group of those lobbying for immigration reform. Arizona keeps going the way they are, spring training baseball will eventually be no more, as far as Az is concerned.
I see, you're one of those that make claims, and then when refuted go on a tangent to make it look like you think you know what you are talking about.

Long term ramifications to states? Hell its been a few years now in AZ, a couple in GA, etc. Very Little "ramifications" at all. Your argument sounds as though its coming from a few years ago. What's funnier is I can't find a single story of MLB joining in wanting CIR passed. I did find a movethegame.org with 4 players speaking out from 2010 for the 2011 All-Star game.

You seem to be thinking that info from 3 - 5 years ago is still relevant, most of which isn't and has been de-bunked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 12:11 PM

2,546 posts, read 1,778,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
......... You seem to think that expiration and becoming invalid are the same thing, they are not. SS numbers do become invalid at the expiration of work authorization. So in essence you told me lies, thinking you could get away with it. I suggest better research next time.

I see, you're one of those that make claims, and then when refuted go on a tangent to make it look like you think you know what you are talking about.

Long term ramifications to states? Hell its been a few years now in AZ, a couple in GA, etc. Very Little "ramifications" at all. Your argument sounds as though its coming from a few years ago. What's funnier is I can't find a single story of MLB joining in wanting CIR passed. I did find a movethegame.org with 4 players speaking out from 2010 for the 2011 All-Star game.

You seem to be thinking that info from 3 - 5 years ago is still relevant, most of which isn't and has been de-bunked.
I get much of my information from a freind that happens to practice Immigration Law. As far as MLB, sports has been my livelyhood for the past 36 years which has included being both a minor league player and coach. You will not find much on the internet other then;

500 organizations and companies registered to lobby on immigration, including the commissioner of Major League Baseball, MGM Resorts, the U.S. Olympic Committee, Perdue Farms, JPMorgan Chase & Co. and a variety of companies in the business of secure identification, such as Cogent.
Senate immigration-reform bill draws fire, lobbyists | The Columbus Dispatch

Even though I am currently more involved in college athletics I know many baseball insiders, and there is basically three reasons for their so far mostly secret lobbying;
They want no limits on Visas to bring foreign players to the Us, Hispanics are the future of MLB.
They do not want Hispanic ballpalyers subjected to any hostile environments, which there is a potential in Arizona.
There are hundreds of undocumented Hispanics in this country that are good enough to be drafted but can not be.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:28 PM

31,522 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Quote:
I get much of my information from a freind that happens to practice Immigration Law. As far as MLB, sports has been my livelyhood for the past 36 years which has included being both a minor league player and coach. You will not find much on the internet other then;

500 organizations and companies registered to lobby on immigration, including the commissioner of Major League Baseball, MGM Resorts, the U.S. Olympic Committee, Perdue Farms, JPMorgan Chase & Co. and a variety of companies in the business of secure identification, such as Cogent.

Even though I am currently more involved in college athletics I know many baseball insiders, and there is basically three reasons for their so far mostly secret lobbying;
They want no limits on Visas to bring foreign players to the Us, Hispanics are the future of MLB.
They do not want Hispanic ballpalyers subjected to any hostile environments, which there is a potential in Arizona.
There are hundreds of undocumented Hispanics in this country that are good enough to be drafted but can not be.
So in otherwords their advocacy is based on their own selfish interests instead of the best interests of this country. How many "illegal"s out of millions have professional baseball potential? Most are doing other jobs that Americans will do and will be a net burden to our country if amnestied just as they are now. I have no use for any American who doesn't view these issues in the national interest rather than their own self-centeredness.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM

2,546 posts, read 1,778,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So in otherwords their advocacy is based on their own selfish interests instead of the best interests of this country. How many "illegal"s out of millions have professional baseball potential? Most are doing other jobs that Americans will do and will be a net burden to our country if amnestied just as they are now. I have no use for any American who doesn't view these issues in the national interest rather than their own self-centeredness.
When scouts start eying up a kid in the US from the Dominican Republic to only find he has no papers, it turns to be a huge disappointment. Especially since the kid came here or over-stayed no fault of his own. But that is only a part of why MLB wants reform. I am curious though, do those here that oppose any type of pathway for illegals also have a problem with Cuban's getting a free pass? There is a Cuban refugee that plays with the Marlins that could someday turn out to be one of the best pitchers to ever play the game.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:02 PM

31,522 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Quote:
When scouts start eying up a kid in the US from the Dominican Republic to only find he has no papers, it turns to be a huge disappointment. Especially since the kid came here or over-stayed no fault of his own. But that is only a part of why MLB wants reform. I am curious though, do those here that oppose any type of pathway for illegals also have a problem with Cuban's getting a free pass? There is a Cuban refugee that plays with the Marlins that could someday turn out to be one of the best pitchers to ever play the game.
Overstaying a visa is one's own fault, period. Just what other reasons would the MLB have for wanting this so-called reform? Does it include legalizing millions of poor, unskilled foreigners that have no baseball potential? Why would that be?

I have never been a fan of the Cuban "wet foot, dry foot" policy and it should have ended long ago.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:07 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Quote:
I am all for a path way. The same path every legal immigrant has taken.
Who cares about sports potential?
No fan of the wet foot dry foot program.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:18 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,712,641 times
Quote:

Your info is second hand and then you attempt to broadbrush it over the entirety of the issue.

Lobbying for legal immigration is what the MLB is doing since the exceeded their visa allotment in 2006 (look to the Compete Act passed by Congress), they want easier access and more allotments to H2B visas for themselves, they want a higher cap limit on H2B visas, their lobbying is limited to the one issue.

There have been no "hostile environments" that MLB Players have entered. Most didn't even bother with the protesting of the 2011 All-Star game. Even fewer PRO illegal immigrants were at the rally in AZ to protest the AZ immigration bill.

Quote:
If the kid "overstayed" he can apply to adjust status, there is very little stopping the adjustment at that point, unless there are other unmentioned activities the kid may have on his record.

You mean the "wet-foot, dry-foot" rule? You will find most on both sides are ready to dis-allow that to continue. The question is why does MLB think they need to go global to have prospects for playing in the US? Isn't there already a "World League"? Looks to be more a competitive issue, anything to have a winning franchise, I guess.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 05-30-2013 at 03:28 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 01:35 PM

1,150 posts, read 991,320 times
Quote:
Says you and that on-line Rueters poll that excites you.

Lets take a look at the others;
Pew 25%
Quinipac 30%
CBS 32%
Fox 21%
USA Today 25%
ABC 32%

Immigration
Have you ever read the comments made by people responding to news articles about illegal immigration, and CIR? At least 95% are consistently against any form of amnesty, or fast track to citizenship. I do know pollsters do selective polling, but if you read what people actually write, expressing their own opinions in their own words, the vast majority want the present immigration laws enforced, and no amnesty in any form.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:04 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,293,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The Democrats are just as guilty of hiring illegal immigrants unless one is foolish enough to think there are no rich businessmen who are Democrats.

I'm all for e-verfiy but unfortunately congress has decided that only new hires will be checked while illegals already on the payroll get a free pass.

There are plenty of sly guilty democrats who hire illegal immigrants. The A-- Hole contractor who in 2010 tried doing a 1250,000 remodeling job with exactly that, illegals.

When i realized what was happening and when a stupid-ass illegal himself told me he was illegal, this was the last straw, and their work, was unacceptable in every possible way you could think of.

Yup he bid way too low on my job, and thought i was stupid or something.

When i realized i made a couple phone calls to the proper authorities, stating his name and license number and the other dumb-asses he tried to pass off as his employers.

Don't tell me this stuff does not go on period with greddy owners, because it does, and from both sides are as guilty as hell.

Oh i waited until he was almost done with the whole project which was huge. Even another 3 car garage with work benches, skylights and fan, ton of concrete work with walkways, huge project, which i would never ever do again in my lifetime. Sure the home is stunning and quite larger then i already need, but we do have so many friends and family who do visit and stay with us. They love the beach area, and love the area we live in. Almost like a resort in itself.

I did confront him paying the illegals under the table, i yes spied on him, taking pictures from my many 55 plus windows, in different areas of the home. I took pictures from my cell phone, and showed them to the contractor himself. Guess what, he walked away from the end of our job. We did not shed a tear or cry. Finished off the rest of the job ourselves, and the inspector thought we were professional contractors. Been doing remodeling jobs for our rentals and our perm residence forever. But illnesses have stoped us from doing the big stuff that yes we could do ourselves, but illnesses do get in the way.

Lo and behold, he was looked into, and guess what, not practicing contracting anymore. And i got a thank you for being a concern citizen, big freaking deal.

I'd say these days democrats are even more guilty, of thinking they are the party that can get away with anything, scandals abound.

Last edited by california-jewel; 06-06-2013 at 02:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or