U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:08 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I guess if you have been here for 5-6 generations then you have lost touch with your roots and care less if America bombs the people of your ancestry tomorrow?
This may not be what you want to hear, but yes, in fact, it could come to that. (let's hope it never does). But being an American does involve concepts of loyalty. And there were a LOT of first-generation Americans in World War II who actually did, just as you say, "bomb the people of their ancestry". If you're going to "join up" with a country, then that country's objectives become yours.

As I said, let's hope neither you nor I ever actually have to do this....

A related subject would be that a huge percentage of law-enforcement officials in West Texas, as well as Border Patrol, and every sort of "law men" in that area, are Mexican-Americans. Are you suggesting these officers are being "disloyal" when their work brings them into contact with illegal border-crossers?...These guys are Americans, and their loyalty to America may sometimes put the into a "conflict of interest" with certain Mexicans--or even Mexican-Americans. The only way these guys could do the job at all is if they defined "their people" as the American taxpayer. That is how Americans must view themselves if we're to have a viable country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 06:32 PM

7,352 posts, read 8,990,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
When I refer to "my people" I refer to my ancestry. Being only 2nd generation American I still feel a strong tie to "my people" of my ancestry. Most Americans I know still call themselves Welsh, Irish, German, Italian, Israeli, Pakistani, Indian and those are their people, their roots and care for them deep. I never put them "over" Americans, I can care for both countries and for every race.

I guess if you have been here for 5-6 generations then you have lost touch with your roots and care less if America bombs the people of your ancestry tomorrow?
Are you saying that America is planning on bombing Mexico tomorrow? In any case--no, not 5-6 generations: I am the first generation. My mother and her family were immigrants and Americans are their "people." As macmeal said--more or less--if you're going to immigrate, part of the deal is that your first allegiance is to the country to which you immigrate and which offers you possibilities unavailable in "the old country." My family does love their native country, but if push comes to shove, it's America that they get behind.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:41 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Are you saying that America is planning on bombing Mexico tomorrow? In any case--no, not 5-6 generations: I am the first generation. My mother and her family were immigrants and Americans are their "people." As macmeal said--more or less--if you're going to immigrate, part of the deal is that your first allegiance is to the country to which you immigrate and which offers you possibilities unavailable in "the old country." My family does love their native country, but if push comes to shove, it's America that they get behind.

First generation on my father's side here as well.

You can be d*mned sure I have my loyalty in order in the 1 in 10000000 chance my "ancestral" homeland and the United States have a war!

The United States has a steady and growing population of people who have no affiliation with "the old country" and can TRULY only identify with "American" ethnicity. In the end, it is really the only way this country can survive as a cohesive unit.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:25 AM

17,022 posts, read 9,064,676 times
Here in Texas working in a trade I can say from firsthand conversations over the years that even U.S. born and raised people of Mexican descent argue in favor of illegals very strongly.

Quite a few, especially younger ones, seem to be stumped when I give reasons why their thinking is faulty.

Most of what they say is based on what they have been told by the "community" and Hispanic media ( of which there is no shortage of here in Dallas).

Old 05-31-2010, 06:18 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,084,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Here in Texas working in a trade I can say from firsthand conversations over the years that even U.S. born and raised people of Mexican descent argue in favor of illegals very strongly.

Quite a few, especially younger ones, seem to be stumped when I give reasons why their thinking is faulty.

Most of what they say is based on what they have been told by the "community" and Hispanic media ( of which there is no shortage of here in Dallas).

What is Faulty in their thinking?...Maybe its your thinking.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:30 PM

17,022 posts, read 9,064,676 times
Oh yeah I forgot, entering a country illegally and falsifying documents, and using a SS number that's not yours is OK nowadays.

I'm so glad you could straighten me out.
You must be from somewhere else to be able to discern things that those of us that are natural citizens of this country are so blind not to see.

Maybe I can come over and visit tonight and not even knock on the door when I come in so there's no need to get up to answer the door.

Maybe I'll decide to stay a decade or more.
I'm sure you don't mind picking up my medical bills and the education of any children I may have.

I've got that all correct......didn't I?
Good, I'm glad you don't have a problem with it.

My future looks promising.

Oh BTW, if I don't like the color you painted your house I may be inclined to have some of my friends over to hold a rather large get together to make the public aware of my discontent.
Seems like in your mnd I have the right to tell you what to do with what is yours.

But you'll understand I'm sure.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:57 PM

364 posts, read 184,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
What is Faulty in their thinking?...Maybe its your thinking.
because this is tha usa
ppl who suport ilegal aliens being here
hate tha usa an we dont there kind here
they need to live in another country
america love it or leave it

Old 06-03-2010, 04:25 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,041,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
What is Faulty in their thinking?
Openly supporting illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or