Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:39 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
But it isn't free- it is ALWAYS at the expense of someone else (ie an American citizen)
It's free to them

BTW, have you ever been to a Mexicans garage? I believe once you have you'll know what i mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 11:58 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
It's free to them

BTW, have you ever been to a Mexicans garage? I believe once you have you'll know what i mean.
This is why there should be no amnesty. We do not need people with this mindset.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:39 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,507,975 times
In a nutshell, their ILLEGAL. Who really cares what any group of this or that think of the whole thing. If their illegal their illegal. The laws must be enforced, they must go, employers and those that aid them must be held accountable. No taxpayer dollars should ever go to support illegal invaders of this country. Just think about how utterly ridiculous that even sounds, taxpayer dollars to help out illegal invaders. What are we a huge friggin doormat????

Old 11-03-2007, 02:21 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Of course there is a degree of emotion in this, they are our people.
This is a very profound line (hope you don't mind me quoting you). I touched on this in MY post....and of course you have the right to feel emotion about "your people". But, to a small extent, this also illustrates why multiculturalism cannot work.

If you are a Mexican-American, and illegal Mexican immigrants are "your people", it can only be for one reason--race and/or ethnicity. That's very human, and very understandable.

But in a huge, multi-racial society, it can't work for long. Because if ALL Mexican-Americans are "your people", then you must understand that all Europeans (who USED to be Italians, Irish, Germans, etc., but no longer are---but still are White)--all these "whites" are going to be "their" people...and of course there are Blacks, who will want to be "their" people..and Vietnamese, Chinese, East Indians, Armenians, etc etc, EACH of which groups (by your own reasoning) will think of themselves as "our" people. And if "your" people ever come into conflict with "my" people---or anyone else's people---the stage is set for big problems. If you then go even FURTHER, (as you have), and include EVEN ILLEGAL ALIENS as "your people", as opposed to the rest of America, who AREN'T your people, then there's little chance we'll ever be able to have a stable nation.

No country has ever existed as a multicultural society without either disintegrating into bloody violence, or being held together by a repressive government. A nation must have a culture. Europe is now filling up with angry, hostile "outsiders" (Muslims) who are very much ready to defend "their people", against the "infidels" (locals). These immigrants aren't Europeans, and have no desire to be Europeans, and no respect for Europeans. I don't think those areas have much of a future...unless these Muslims change their whole attitude, and soon.

The only way for this country to exist is for ALL of us to start viewing ALL American citizens--of ALL races---as "our" people---and ALL foreign citizens---of whatever country--as SOMEONE ELSE'S PEOPLE, but not "ours".

Mexican-Americans are Americans. Illegal Immigrants are not. Their interests are not the same. It's fine to feel sympathy for people, and help if you can. But in the end, if you are a citizen, your loyalty belongs to the citizens of the US. Anything that compromises or takes away from the US, or endangers it in any way, is your problem, because it impacts you. If you're a US citizen, then your people are the other citizens of the US.

That is true for EVERYONE on this forum, of all races......If we don't start "getting along" with each other, the day will come when we no longer have to worry about it..We'll no longer have a country to "get along" in.....

Old 11-03-2007, 02:34 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
First I think it is a mistake to think "all" Hispanics agree, in general; they don't even all agree on the use of Hispanic.

I have many friends who classify as Latino/a, from many countries: Brasil, Colombia, Mexico, Chile, Boliva, Peru, Ecuador, and from our own Puerto Rico.

Each of these friends/acquaintances have different POVs, and some have closer ties to more recent immigrants than others. Some of my friends are 1st generation, while others have had family here for 4, 5, 6 generations.

I have certainly never heard any one of them say, or imply what you reference: The feeling is most legal Hispanics will punish public officals and representatives who try to tighten immigration laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
The popular wisdom is most legal Hispanic immigrants are in full support of all immigrants legal or not. I read many stories in the newspaper about legal Hispanic immigrants who are protesting deportations and laws targeting illegal aliens. The feeling is most legal Hispanics will punish public officals and representatives who try to tighten immigration laws.

Do you think that legal immigrants especially from an Hispanic background are really supportive an open border and support illegal aliens?

Old 11-04-2007, 01:02 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
Mach50Thunderdart, So, Then you understand our emotion when it comes to illegals in our country, taking away from our citizens.
Hence is the problem, MachThunder considers the illegals and Mexicans their people rather than the US.

I am Asian American of Chinese/Taiwanese descent and at least with myself and my family, both immediate and extended, our attitude is different. I was born and raised in America and my parents came LEGALLY.

We are in America now so the American people is our people. When my parents took the oath of citizenship, they swore to give up any and all previous loyalties. MachThunder saying the illegals are also his people would be an Arab American saying that the terrorists we are fighting in Afghanistan (I won't bring Iraq into this) are also their people.

The difference is that most Asian Americans want to distance ourselves from the illegals among us (and yes, countries like China and the PHilippines contribute a lot of illegals). They are an embarassment and disgrace to our race and we want to have nothing to do with them.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:08 AM

635 posts, read 1,746,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
They are an embarassment and disgrace to our race and we want to have nothing to do with them.
How do you know that many Asians are disgraced and embarrased by illegal asian immigrants? Think to yourself, can I honestly make a statement of that magnitude. Your a college kid, you are bright.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:16 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Hence is the problem, MachThunder considers the illegals and Mexicans their people rather than the US.

I am Asian American of Chinese/Taiwanese descent and at least with myself and my family, both immediate and extended, our attitude is different. I was born and raised in America and my parents came LEGALLY.

We are in America now so the American people is our people. When my parents took the oath of citizenship, they swore to give up any and all previous loyalties. MachThunder saying the illegals are also his people would be an Arab American saying that the terrorists we are fighting in Afghanistan (I won't bring Iraq into this) are also their people.

The difference is that most Asian Americans want to distance ourselves from the illegals among us (and yes, countries like China and the PHilippines contribute a lot of illegals). They are an embarassment and disgrace to our race and we want to have nothing to do with them.
I consider Americans my people first, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see progress for my Mexican countrymen. So I don't feel the tough love that you do, Hispanic people help each other out, it is a matter of our culture.

I have said it it is not fair to Americans, but it is not fair to retroactively enforce laws without some kind of statue of limitations.

What is more of a disgrace to me is the Mexican government and the illegals that unnecessarily take advantage of America. I guess it is not a matter of tough love for me.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:20 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
I consider Americans my people first, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see progress for my Mexican countrymen. So I don't feel the tough love that you do, Hispanic people help each other out, it is a matter of our culture.

I have said it it is not fair to Americans, but it is not fair to retroactively enforce laws without some kind of statue of limitations.

What is more of a disgrace to me is the Mexican government and the illegals that unnecessarily take advantage of America. I guess it is not a matter of tough love for me.
Yes, the Mexican culture is very sacred to Mexicans. Family is always first.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:24 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
MachThunder saying the illegals are also his people would be an Arab American saying that the terrorists we are fighting in Afghanistan (I won't bring Iraq into this) are also their people.
Also Comparing terrorists to illegal Mexicans is ridiculous to me and sounds like you have been reading too many extremists POV on this subject and buying into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration