Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:08 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,533,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
A little change of subject-- I saw a couple of videos on YouTube about immigration protests. It seems as every time the anti-illegal group see a Mexican joining their side they're like "OMFG! A Mexican! Lets go stand next to him and interview him.. Maybe we can put him on the loud speaker". It's pretty funny. Until the other side starts calling him a traitor and a fight breaks out.
What you are referring to here is called "citing an example", often used in racist-tinged situations. It's like saying "This guy is a Mexican but he's not like most Mexicans, because he agrees with US!! He must be very brave, PLUS his presence among us PROVES that we're not racists--so let's get a close-up of him !"

The pro-illegals are saying "This guy is SUPPOSED to agree with us, right or wrong, because he's a MEXICAN, and that's more important than any law. His willlingness to put the law of his country ahead of his loyalty to his 'primos' PROVES that he's a slimy, self-serving, weasel, and he ought to be ashamed of himself. Let's teach him a lesson"...

Each side is "using" the guy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 10:11 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,941,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
What you are referring to here is called "citing an example", often used in racist-tinged situations. It's like saying "This guy is a Mexican but he's not like most Mexicans, because he agrees with US!! He must be very brave, PLUS his presence among us PROVES that we're not racists--so let's get a close-up of him !"

The pro-illegals are saying "This guy is SUPPOSED to agree with us, right or wrong, because he's a MEXICAN, and that's more important than any law. His willlingness to put the law of his country ahead of his loyalty to his 'primos' PROVES that he's a slimy, self-serving, weasel, and he ought to be ashamed of himself. Let's teach him a lesson"...

Each side is "using" the guy...
Exactly why I don't go to those marches. I'm afraid for my life. Haha. But being a moderate it wouldn't be in my right to go because I don't really want them to go. I just want people not to keep coming in. We have enough.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:58 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,533,423 times
Quote:
Exactly why I don't go to those marches. I'm afraid for my life. Haha. But being a moderate it wouldn't be in my right to go because I don't really want them to go. I just want people not to keep coming in. We have enough.
Sounds much like my own position---even though we're a few years apart in age. I don't advocate deportation. We've allowed this situation to develop, and suddenly deporting people who've been here awhile might be "within the letter of the law", but would be harsh, disruptive, and inhumane. I can't see that ever happening.
But I do say that we HAVE to prevent future illegal immigration. What's happening now just can't continue. We have serious problems here, and we just can't continue to take care of other people's problems. And even THIS position is certain to be criticized as "mean-spirited". Your statement "we have enough" is true. Our high-tech society can't accomodate endless waves of unskilled, blue-collar labor...

Old 11-07-2007, 09:54 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,420,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Most illegal aliens who are here are working so they are committing a felony by stealing the identity of someone else and using a false social security cumber. What do the legal Hispanics who support the illegal aliens think about someone stealing their identity?

Also I and the government officals I support never invited these illegals in the country. Just because government officals who hopefully will be voted out, let illegals come in does not mean the mistakes of the past can not be eliminated.

I think the main reason legal immigrants would support illegal aliens is they like the idea of America being more ethnically diverse with more people who share their culture and language. In many cases they have friends or relatives who are illegal, so they look at the issue emotionally not logically.
(December 13, 2006)
ICE agents executed civil search warrants at six facilities owned by Swift & Company (Swift), one of the nation’s largest processors of fresh pork and beef. Agents executed warrants at Swift facilities in Greeley, Colorado; Grand Island, Nebraska; Cactus, Texas; Hyrum, Utah; Marshalltown, Iowa; and Worthington, Minnesota.

In total, agents apprehended 1,282 illegal alien workers on administrative immigration violations at Swift facilities. Of these, 65 have also been charged with criminal violations related to identity theft or other violations, such as re-entry after deportation. Countries of origin of those arrested were: Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Peru, Laos, Sudan and Ethiopia; others have yet to be identified. The investigation is ongoing.
U.S. Uncovers Large-Scale Identity Theft Scheme Used By Illegal Aliens to Gain Employment at Nationwide Meat Processor (http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/newsreleases/articles/061213dc.htm - broken link)

Old 11-07-2007, 12:39 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,512,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
...but it is not fair to retroactively enforce laws without some kind of statue of limitations.
Statutes of limitations apply to crime events. Being in the country illegally is a criminal condition. For a statute of limitations to apply to illegal immigration, the immigrant must first either remove himself from the country or legalize his status. As long as he remains in the country illegally, he is in the commission of a crime.

What you are calling for is amnesty. Any amnesty program, without a concurrent increase in enforcement, would amount to a de-facto open borders policy.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:07 PM

17 posts, read 45,839 times
Thumbs up Great Quote!

Quote:
This is a very profound line (hope you don't mind me quoting you). I touched on this in MY post....and of course you have the right to feel emotion about "your people". But, to a small extent, this also illustrates why multiculturalism cannot work.

If you are a Mexican-American, and illegal Mexican immigrants are "your people", it can only be for one reason--race and/or ethnicity. That's very human, and very understandable.

But in a huge, multi-racial society, it can't work for long. Because if ALL Mexican-Americans are "your people", then you must understand that all Europeans (who USED to be Italians, Irish, Germans, etc., but no longer are---but still are White)--all these "whites" are going to be "their" people...and of course there are Blacks, who will want to be "their" people..and Vietnamese, Chinese, East Indians, Armenians, etc etc, EACH of which groups (by your own reasoning) will think of themselves as "our" people. And if "your" people ever come into conflict with "my" people---or anyone else's people---the stage is set for big problems. If you then go even FURTHER, (as you have), and include EVEN ILLEGAL ALIENS as "your people", as opposed to the rest of America, who AREN'T your people, then there's little chance we'll ever be able to have a stable nation.

No country has ever existed as a multicultural society without either disintegrating into bloody violence, or being held together by a repressive government. A nation must have a culture. Europe is now filling up with angry, hostile "outsiders" (Muslims) who are very much ready to defend "their people", against the "infidels" (locals). These immigrants aren't Europeans, and have no desire to be Europeans, and no respect for Europeans. I don't think those areas have much of a future...unless these Muslims change their whole attitude, and soon.

The only way for this country to exist is for ALL of us to start viewing ALL American citizens--of ALL races---as "our" people---and ALL foreign citizens---of whatever country--as SOMEONE ELSE'S PEOPLE, but not "ours".

Mexican-Americans are Americans. Illegal Immigrants are not. Their interests are not the same. It's fine to feel sympathy for people, and help if you can. But in the end, if you are a citizen, your loyalty belongs to the citizens of the US. Anything that compromises or takes away from the US, or endangers it in any way, is your problem, because it impacts you. If you're a US citizen, then your people are the other citizens of the US.

That is true for EVERYONE on this forum, of all races......If we don't start "getting along" with each other, the day will come when we no longer have to worry about it..We'll no longer have a country to "get along" in.....
As a military man and an AA I applaud you!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:27 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,537,016 times
When I lived in McAllen, TX my barber was (not too surprisingly) a Mexican American. He was adamantly against illegal immigration. He had a lot of friends who were ranchers that lost parts of their land or had property destroyed because of illegal immigrants. Between the Rio Grande Valley and Corpus you would likely find many Mexican-Americans that are very much against illegal immigration due to property ownership. My wife, who is Mexican-American herself has a family that is split about 50-50 on the issue.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:32 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,941,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
When I lived in McAllen, TX my barber was (not too surprisingly) a Mexican American. He was adamantly against illegal immigration. He had a lot of friends who were ranchers that lost parts of their land or had property destroyed because of illegal immigrants. Between the Rio Grande Valley and Corpus you would likely find many Mexican-Americans that are very much against illegal immigration due to property ownership. My wife, who is Mexican-American herself has a family that is split about 50-50 on the issue.
Friendly warning, the people on this forum do not support that term. Even though most of these people on these forums themselves are not Mexican they would rather prefer to call legal Mexicans "Americans from Mexican decent". They know they wear the "Irish I were Mexican" t-shirts in their own house .

Old 11-07-2007, 08:32 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,367,906 times
Quote:
I don't advocate deportation. We've allowed this situation to develop, and suddenly deporting people who've been here awhile might be "within the letter of the law", but would be harsh, disruptive, and inhumane. I can't see that ever happening.
Yes, in a way. I do however think we need to revise the anchor baby law, suspend their health benefits with the exception of extreme emergencies, and strongly enforce laws against those who hire illegals. If their "free ride" is taken away, they will self deport, and forceful methods will not be necessary.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:29 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,505,312 times
Quote:
Friendly warning, the people on this forum do not support that term. Even though most of these people on these forums themselves are not Mexican they would rather prefer to call legal Mexicans "Americans from Mexican decent". They know they wear the "Irish I were Mexican" t-shirts in their own house .
OMG! This politically correct stuff is getting out of hand. The original poster said his wife was Mexican American. Appartently that term doesn't bother her. What on earth is wrong with that term anyway? Mexico is a country. America is a country. We have got to get over this politically correct BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration