Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

There will be nothing gained by this amnesty. Illegals will quit working those low wage jobs once they are given legal status. The farmers and all the many others that brought this batch in will lose their cheap illegal workers and have to start bringing in replacements.

The jobs the legalized illegals will be going after --- by well over 11 million -- will be those jobs that unemployed Americans would definitely take if they could. Job creation simply isn't high enough for us to add 11 plus million people and all their kin folk that will be joining them soon.

In prior reform, legalized farmworkers left fields | www.kfoxtv.com

in the country illegally to get legal status, more than a million farmworkers applied. In Central California, the nation's agricultural powerhouse and a region with one of the highest poverty levels, the impact was profound.

Many legalized farmworkers left the fields, moving to better-paid jobs in packing houses, warehouses and factories, attending college and working as professionals. Others became crew leaders or labor contractors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 09:58 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
It's ok. New illegals will fill those roles in no time.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:28 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Don't blame them. Many slaves left their plantations as well. The notion that once legalized these folks are simply going to pick lettuce as before is nonsensical. They do so now because they have to.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Don't blame them. Many slaves left their plantations as well. The notion that once legalized these folks are simply going to pick lettuce as before is nonsensical. They do so now because they have to.
Yes -- and they'd have to go out and find new jobs -- (tough on unemployed Amerircan who actually might want to work for a living) because once made legal they will have to be paid legal wages and benefits, and their employers will simply start bringing in new illegal replacements.

This amnesty will not solve a single problem. It will create many and millions more illegals will be moving in to take the jobs with employers that hire illegals.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:34 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Hate to break it to ya but large number of illegals are already doing these higher paying jobs. Companies have all sorts of tricks to obtain undocumented workers, which helps them to cut wages by anywhere from 25% to 50%. I've seen the wages in this area plummet for many lower level high tech manufacturing jobs. They are also taught how to do higher paying jobs, except, they won't command the higher pay. Admittedly, is quite comical to watch a company attempt to polish a turd, but this is how far they are going to destroy the living wage jobs in this country.

Like I said, the companies have lots of tricks, to the point that if busted, they would be clear of any wrongdoing. Migrant labor is big business in this country .

Old 05-27-2013, 09:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
very true. this will be amnesty #3, they dont work and the promises to protect the border are never kept.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:40 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
So WHY did those who got amnesty leave their low-paying jobs? Did they get better-paying ones? No.

They left because once you qualify for ALL welfare programs, you don't HAVE to work anymore, and wage income will count AGAINST your benefits.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Yes, perish the thought that people with legalized status would dare to want to better the lives of themselves and their families. Horrible! Isn't that the "American Dream," to improve ones' lot in life? One would think the people who complain about public assistance programs of all sorts would applaud an opportunity for people to get a better job than the lowest-paid one available, to buy a home and pay taxes, and to send children to college ... pay income taxes, sales taxes, etc. No, let's just keep them 'down on the farm.' Slavery was supposed to have ended a long time ago. Yet we have people advocating a lifestyle which is similar to slavery. If people already citizens or in the country legally won't take some jobs, why deny newly-legalized residents the opportunity to work at jobs Americans won't do? If there is a ready workforce without the legalized immigrants, where are the workers who supposedly want these jobs? The nation is strongly behind a 'path to citizenship' program, such as proposed in the US Senate. Even more strongly in favor of legalizing the presence of the 6 million persons who arrived without permission, and the 5 million who originally had permission and overstayed their visa limits. No amnesty has been proposed. It's a long road to citizenship with many restrictions. The burden for enforcement can be harshly dealing with employers who, for the most part, make much of the illegal immigration possible. Dry-up the jobs/money and the flow will dwindle to a trickle.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:04 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Yes, perish the thought that people with legalized status would dare to want to better the lives of themselves and their families. Horrible! Isn't that the "American Dream," to improve ones' lot in life? One would think the people who complain about public assistance programs of all sorts would applaud an opportunity for people to get a better job than the lowest-paid one available, to buy a home and pay taxes, and to send children to college ... pay income taxes, sales taxes, etc. No, let's just keep them 'down on the farm.' Slavery was supposed to have ended a long time ago. Yet we have people advocating a lifestyle which is similar to slavery. If people already citizens or in the country legally won't take some jobs, why deny newly-legalized residents the opportunity to work at jobs Americans won't do? If there is a ready workforce without the legalized immigrants, where are the workers who supposedly want these jobs? The nation is strongly behind a 'path to citizenship' program, such as proposed in the US Senate. Even more strongly in favor of legalizing the presence of the 6 million persons who arrived without permission, and the 5 million who originally had permission and overstayed their visa limits. No amnesty has been proposed. It's a long road to citizenship with many restrictions. The burden for enforcement can be harshly dealing with employers who, for the most part, make much of the illegal immigration possible. Dry-up the jobs/money and the flow will dwindle to a trickle.
One of the reasons we have quotas for "legal" immigration is to protect jobs and resoures for Americans and to take into account our population growth. Illegal immigration negates that and by legalizing them that will also negate it. The American Dream is for those who follow the legal path to attain it in the first place not for those who violate our immigration laws.

Just what jobs won't Americans do? Again, with the claims that the majority of Americans want legalization for these people or even something as far fetched as desiring citizenship for them. You go ahead and believe the polls that agree with your agenda and I'll believe my sources.

I do agree we need to dry up the jobs and benefits to deter more illegal immigration and I would add birthright citizenship for their kids also because they can get benefits through them.

This was posted by another member in here recently. It bears repeating and besides not desiring rewards for immigration lawbreakers the requirements are just a farce.

5 myths about amnesty for illegal immigrants in Senate bill

Old 05-29-2013, 02:15 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You go ahead and believe the polls that agree with your agenda and I'll believe my sources.
I've read your "sources." If I were you I don't think I'd draw too much attention to them, if I wanted people to take me seriously.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration