U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 07:12 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,108,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I know just how to do that! Protect our borders, enforce our sovereign law. The State of California's public and private sector costs would be reduced by 10.5 BILLION dollars per year in social and public services given currently given to illegal aliens with the added benefit of relieving some of it's "frictional unemployment" by giving American jobs back to American workers.

Problem solved.
How much would that level of enforcement cost? The DEA has a 60 billion dollar budget and anyone can still manufacture drugs if they want.

Problem not solved. And we have a higher tax burden than we could have.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:14 PM

Why do you have a problem with market friendly public policy that could reduce public and private sector costs, and our tax burden?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:40 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,706,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
How much would that level of enforcement cost? The DEA has a 60 billion dollar budget and anyone can still manufacture drugs if they want.

Problem not solved. And we have a higher tax burden than we could have.
Yeah, I guess you're right. After all, 10.5 BILLION dollars our of the taxpayer's pocket in one state is merely chump change.

What was I thinking? I mean, you've got the answer to everything! I don't understand why brilliance such as yours isn't running something somewhere.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:07 PM

402 posts, read 939,976 times
There is no comparison betwween Jay walking and illegal crossing of our border.

[SIZE=4]Terminology[/SIZE]

Quote:
"Undocumented worker" versus "illegal alien"

The terms "undocumented worker", "undocumented immigrant", and "undocumented alien" are often used to describe those who have broken the law of our land to enter and work in our country illegally. These are all misleading terms, deliberately used to "soften" the issue.

The term "undocumented" implies that foreign nationals have the unconditional right to violate America's borders and immigration laws.

An "immigrant" is an invited guest - a person who comes to a country where they are not a citizen in order to settle there. The term "immigrant" implies permanent, legal, residency. (Although because of amnesties and status adjustments, about 25% of currently legal immigrants first came here illegally).

The accurate description of a foreign national illegally residing in America is illegal alien.
Quote:
An illegal alien is a criminal subject to as mush as six months in jail for first offense and
Quote:
subject to federal felony charges
for subsequent entries after deportation.

If the first illegal crossing is not a felony, it certainly should be.All in all the key word is
Illegal, meaning criminal action by the person crossing the border. But then we are talking to a person who knows it all and is basking in all the attention he is getting, using words that are not normally used in everyday conversation. Sounds a lot like my elder brother.

Definition: Jay walking....
[SIZE=3]jay walking[/SIZE] n. walking across a street outside of marked cross-walks and not at a corner, and/or against a signal light. If there is vehicle traffic or clear markings of a place to cross, this is a traffic misdemeanor subject to fine, and may be (but not conclusively) contributory negligence in the event of injury to the jay walker by a vehicle.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:07 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,455,840 times
Quote:
Did you also request a total of how much that level of enforcement will cost?
Of course - and the voters, along with their representatives, allowed for the necessary expenditures.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
How do you account for state's rights and individual liberties, or do you think the government should be able to tell the private sector who they can and can't hire; l.
Daniel: Did you read my post regarding this - I have already responded to your queries -

Government already DOES tell the private sector who they can hire - and, I gave you some very common examples

Old 11-05-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
How much crime is there in Arizona? Prohibition didn't work in the '20's.
The citizens, the CITIZENS, of the State DEMANDED this Daniel.

Or, don't you care what the citizens want Daniel?

Is that it?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Yeah, I guess you're right. After all, 10.5 BILLION dollars our of the taxpayer's pocket in one state is merely chump change.

What was I thinking? I mean, you've got the answer to everything! I don't understand why brilliance such as yours isn't running something somewhere.
You may have missed the point. How much will enforcement cost? We spend 60 billion a year trying to enforce drug prohibition, and it doesn't work.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
There is no comparison betwween Jay walking and illegal crossing of our border.

[SIZE=4]Terminology[/SIZE]

If the first illegal crossing is not a felony, it certainly should be.All in all the key word is
Illegal, meaning criminal action by the person crossing the border. But then we are talking to a person who knows it all and is basking in all the attention he is getting, using words that are not normally used in everyday conversation. Sounds a lot like my elder brother.

Definition: Jay walking....
[SIZE=3]jay walking[/SIZE] n. walking across a street outside of marked cross-walks and not at a corner, and/or against a signal light. If there is vehicle traffic or clear markings of a place to cross, this is a traffic misdemeanor subject to fine, and may be (but not conclusively) contributory negligence in the event of injury to the jay walker by a vehicle.
In other words, you are implying that there is no comparable analogy to someone walking across an imaginary state line or walking across a street at a non-designated point. Both are misdemeanors.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Of course - and the voters, along with their representatives, allowed for the necessary expenditures.
If you don't mind paying higher taxes, why bother complaining about the higher costs associated with illegals in the country?

States don't have any constitutional authority to enforce US customs, or impair in the obligation of contracts; unless, they are willing to engage in false-patriotism to our glorious Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration