U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2007, 09:08 AM
 
Location: US, California - federalist
2,795 posts, read 3,099,406 times
Reputation: 479

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I know a few of them, have protested with them, some of them have spent time at the border and sure enough illegals showed up first night. 50 bucks for background check to join, no felons allowed. They put themselves in harms way trying to make a point. I will admit it takes some guts what they do.
I think they would be more patriotic, if they made themselves available to local law enforcement in times of natural disaster or when there are large-scale disturbances of the domestic tranquility of the state, or simple search and rescue missions; however, that is something they have not been clamoring for in the media.

Taking the initiative to patrol the border is simply a waste of their time since the states have no constitutional obligation to care if someone is here from out of state.

From a supreme law of the land perspective, we cannot have an invasion, and there is no evidence of a rebellion, from a neighboring state with which we have Free Trade Agreement.

 
Old 11-04-2007, 09:55 AM
 
1,396 posts, read 2,928,253 times
Reputation: 3841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Has anyone here ever been a minuteman or know one? I'm interested in their experiences.
Today's minutemen observe and report to the Border Patrol and National Guard any and all illegal activity. These 2 websites are worth looking into, both offer a wealth of information, chapters, news, photos, etc.

MinutemanHQ..w/forum

Welcome to Jim Gilchrist's Minuteman Project Patriots Protecting America
 
Old 11-04-2007, 10:11 AM
 
14,229 posts, read 7,411,145 times
Reputation: 8025
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
I think they would be more patriotic, if they made themselves available to local law enforcement in times of natural disaster or when there are large-scale disturbances of the domestic tranquility of the state, or simple search and rescue missions; however, that is something they have not been clamoring for in the media.

Taking the initiative to patrol the border is simply a waste of their time since the states have no constitutional obligation to care if someone is here from out of state.

From a supreme law of the land perspective, we cannot have an invasion, and there is no evidence of a rebellion, from a neighboring state with which we have Free Trade Agreement.
A lot of them I've met are veterans of foreign wars, they already paid there dues. Believe me, these folks will offer help in times of national emergencies. I disagree, patrolling the border is not a waste of time.
 
Old 11-04-2007, 10:51 AM
 
Location: US, California - federalist
2,795 posts, read 3,099,406 times
Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuteMan View Post
Today's minutemen observe and report to the Border Patrol and National Guard any and all illegal activity. These 2 websites are worth looking into, both offer a wealth of information, chapters, news, photos, etc.

MinutemanHQ..w/forum

Welcome to Jim Gilchrist's Minuteman Project Patriots Protecting America
I think they would be more patriotic, if they made themselves available to local law enforcement in times of natural disaster or when there are large-scale disturbances of the domestic tranquility of the state, or simple search and rescue missions; however, that is something they have not been clamoring for in the media.
 
Old 11-04-2007, 10:54 AM
 
Location: US, California - federalist
2,795 posts, read 3,099,406 times
Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
A lot of them I've met are veterans of foreign wars, they already paid there dues. Believe me, these folks will offer help in times of national emergencies. I disagree, patrolling the border is not a waste of time.
Why do you disagree? Don't you think their time would be better spent, offering gun safety courses, helping local law enforcement ensure the domestic tranquility, and being on-call for search and rescue missions when time is of the essence?

What need is there for duplication of services when there is no invasion or rebellion requiring federal service and the states are not constitutionally obligated to enforce federal laws; and, could be seen as an infringement of separation of powers in our form of federalism?
 
Old 11-04-2007, 10:57 AM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,690,528 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
I think they would be more patriotic, if they made themselves available to local law enforcement in times of natural disaster or when there are large-scale disturbances of the domestic tranquility of the state, or simple search and rescue missions; however, that is something they have not been clamoring for in the media.
That's because they don't do so as a group. I know several Minutemen and one Minutewoman who have gone to build homes in New Orleans. Many of them are involved in organizations such as Habitat for Humanity. One guy in CA I know is one of those guys who raises rescue dogs and he's called out every time there is a hiker lost in the Santa Monica Mountains.

Just because they don't require television cameras at their side while they are performing charity work doesn't mean that they aren't doing it. These organizations, unlike many others, are not in it for glory or media attention. They are just doing what they do because they love this country. And as self effacing as the majority I've met continue to be, you couldn't get them to toot their own horns for love or money!
 
Old 11-04-2007, 11:00 AM
 
Location: US, California - federalist
2,795 posts, read 3,099,406 times
Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
That's because they don't do so as a group. I know several Minutemen and one Minutewoman who have gone to build homes in New Orleans. Many of them are involved in organizations such as Habitat for Humanity. One guy in CA I know is one of those guys who raises rescue dogs and he's called out every time there is a hiker lost in the Santa Monica Mountains.

Just because they don't require television cameras at their side while they are performing charity work doesn't mean that they aren't doing it. These organizations, unlike many others, are not in it for glory or media attention. They are just doing what they do because they love this country. And as self effacing as the majority I've met continue to be, you couldn't get them to toot their own horns for love or money!
Why are they tooting their own horn for border patrol? Are they doing it for love or money (from the warfare-state industrial complex)?
 
Old 11-04-2007, 11:08 AM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,690,528 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Why are they tooting their own horn for border patrol? Are they doing it for love or money (from the warfare-state industrial complex)?
They don't toot their own horn on the border. They are trying to bring attention to debacle at the border. There would be no need for them to bring anything to anyone's attention if the U.S. government would simply do their job.

Why are you so intent on finding some sort of ulterior motive or some sort of crack in the armor you can exploit? If you're seeking hidden racist agendas, why don't you focus your attention on the National Council of La Raza (The Race) or M.E.C.h.A. (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán)? You'll find enough hidden and blatant evidence of racist attitudes to keep you spinning for days.
 
Old 11-04-2007, 11:10 AM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,159,589 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
They're independently wealthy.....

Just like everyone else. They work.

It's a large enough organization. It isn't the same people on the border 24/7/365. They trade off shifts. Some are retired, some take vacation time. What I don't understand is why it makes a difference?
LOL!! They don't look very wealthy. If they were smart with their money they wouldn't spend their day sipping coffee and taking the law into their hands.
 
Old 11-04-2007, 11:31 AM
 
Location: US, California - federalist
2,795 posts, read 3,099,406 times
Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
They don't toot their own horn on the border. They are trying to bring attention to debacle at the border. There would be no need for them to bring anything to anyone's attention if the U.S. government would simply do their job.

Why are you so intent on finding some sort of ulterior motive or some sort of crack in the armor you can exploit? If you're seeking hidden racist agendas, why don't you focus your attention on the National Council of La Raza (The Race) or M.E.C.h.A. (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán)? You'll find enough hidden and blatant evidence of racist attitudes to keep you spinning for days.
It somehow gives the impression that they are tooting their own horn in that particular instance.

Don't you think their time would be better spent, offering gun safety courses, helping local law enforcement ensure the domestic tranquility, and being on-call for search and rescue missions when time is of the essence?

What need is there for duplication of services when there is no invasion or rebellion requiring federal service and the states are not constitutionally obligated to enforce federal laws; and, could be seen as an infringement of separation of powers in our form of federalism?

I agree with you that our government is not doing a good job of formulating better public policy. A market friendly work visa would eliminate the need for people to engage in black market migrant labor participation.

I am not sure how you reached your conclusion on racism? Is that your favorite stereotype or has history made you defensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top