U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:17 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,098,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Dramatic Rise In Border Violence, Drug Smuggling
October 25, 2007

While increased security on the Mexican border has reduced the number of illegal crossers, it has also magnified violence among professional smugglers connected to drug cartels that often outgun U.S. Border Patrol agents.

Soon-to-be-released Homeland Security statistics reveal that the U.S. crackdown has indeed deterred Individuals from attempting to enter the country illegally, but it has also created a lucrative human smuggling enterprise operated by heavily armed drug cartels that charge up to $6,000 a person.

Essentially, smalltime smuggling operations have been replaced with sophisticated ones run by Mexicoís notorious cocaine cartels. Smugglers now carry high-caliber weapons, use military tactics to evade capture and dress in camouflage uniforms. Often gunfights occur between rival smuggling gangs or gangs that hijack each otherís human cargo as they make their way north.

More...
http://www.corruptionchronicles.com/2007/10/dramatic_rise_in_border_violen.html (broken link)

Keep hiding your head in the sand. Ostrich is a good look for you. After all, it works for our government doesn't it?
The difference is that the US federal government has no Constitutional authority to waste taxpayer money Prohibiting forms of commerce.

Prohibition has never worked in the history of the US.

Isn't one definition of insanity, repeating the same mistakes of the past and expecting different results?

Old 11-04-2007, 05:23 PM

402 posts, read 938,169 times
Quote:
LOL!! They don't look very wealthy. If they were smart with their money they wouldn't spend their day sipping coffee and taking the law into their hands.
How did you come to this conclusion?.

Quote:
See...at 17 you think you know it all, but you can't even recognize sarcasm when it walks up and kisses you on the mouth.

I have a few of those 17 YO's in my family. Oh yes they have opinions, so did I when I was 17, my gosh did I ever learn how little I really knew when I started raising a family of my own.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:15 PM

14,206 posts, read 7,402,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Circular reasoning doesn't do much for your argument. Why are the Minutemen on the border if the towers were not on the border?
Ummm, the minutemen are on the border to help secure the border....

Quote:
Do you also suggest the Minutemen muster for the "driving militia" to prevent those deaths from, mostly, legal residents in the US for national security reasons?
[/quote]
Oh no of course not, they're doin a great job where they intended to, helping secure the border to keep foreign intruders out!!

Old 11-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Ummm, the minutemen are on the border to help secure the border...

Oh no of course not, they're doin a great job where they intended to, helping secure the border to keep foreign intruders out!!
The news reported that the towers, which are not on the border, are the ones that got attacked. I have never heard of any news reports of our borders being attacked by terrorists.

Wouldn't it be more cost effective, if we used better and more market friendly public policy that actually reduces public and private sector costs?

Old 11-04-2007, 06:46 PM

14,206 posts, read 7,402,658 times
Quote:
The news reported that the towers, which are not on the border, are the ones that got attacked. I have never heard of any news reports of our borders being attacked by terrorists.

Wouldn't it be more cost effective, if we used better and more market friendly public policy that actually reduces public and private sector costs?
What are you talking about,,,cost effective??? the minutemen don't cost us $$ Sounds like a cheesy political quote gone astray!

Old 11-04-2007, 07:12 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Quote:
The difference is that the US federal government has no Constitutional authority to waste taxpayer money Prohibiting forms of commerce.

Prohibition has never worked in the history of the US.

Isn't one definition of insanity, repeating the same mistakes of the past and expecting different results?
Well, ya know--if you feel that strongly about it, work to change the law. But for now, our federal laws prohibit the sale and importation of narcotics such as heroin and cocaine.

I guess you have no problem with some drug dealer offering your kids crack--you have no problem with some sleazeball selling or giving a drug to your daughter that is so highly addictive it could likely bring her to a point in her life where she would lie, cheat, steal, and prostitute her body to get it.

I suppose you're one of those cool parents who gives drugs and alcohol to your kids because hey, if you tell them they can't have it, they'll just do it behind your back.

All the more power to you then Mr. Federalist.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:34 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Has anyone here ever been a minuteman or know one? I'm interested in their experiences.

I'm not a member but know some that are.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:36 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
How do those minutemen support their families?
They work.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
What are you talking about,,,cost effective??? the minutemen don't cost us $$ Sounds like a cheesy political quote gone astray!
You may be right about the Minutemen, but then again, what are they doing on the border, when the terrorists used airplanes? Are they going to simply watch, potential, terrorists fly overhead?

Old 11-04-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Well, ya know--if you feel that strongly about it, work to change the law. But for now, our federal laws prohibit the sale and importation of narcotics such as heroin and cocaine.

I guess you have no problem with some drug dealer offering your kids crack--you have no problem with some sleazeball selling or giving a drug to your daughter that is so highly addictive it could likely bring her to a point in her life where she would lie, cheat, steal, and prostitute her body to get it.

I suppose you're one of those cool parents who gives drugs and alcohol to your kids because hey, if you tell them they can't have it, they'll just do it behind your back.

All the more power to you then Mr. Federalist.
Which laws are you suggesting I change? The federal government has no constitutional authority to Prohibit commerce. How do you change laws that have no basis in our Constitution to begin with? If being unconstitutional were as illegal as the misdemeanor of jaywalking across a state line, the Minutemen would be patrolling Washington DC, instead of the border.

Legal drugs are just as bad. Ask Rush Limbaugh. I don't think we would have as much of a problem if all drugs were merely Regulated, as enumerated in the Constitution, instead of non-constitutionally Prohibited. The pharmaceuticals could make designer recreational drugs that are much less harmful than anything an amateur could manufacture in a bathroom lab.

No. I am one of those parents who believes in the Ninth Amendment to our glorious Constitution. Unfortunately, many people who profess it but don't act upon it, would actually prefer an all-powerful "communist" style government that can tell people who they can or can't hire, to our current form of federalism that has a built-in separation of powers.

Doesn't the Pledge mean anything to anyone? Why do we still have "under God" in the pledge, if so many people feel it is ok to be hypocrites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration