U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:09 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I think it's just something about the American culture...something hard to 'put a finger on', but it's there. You sense it, and so do I.

For SOME reason, it's just an "American thing" to make special allowances for 'colorful people' who are seen as 'interesting'. Don't ask me why, but for some reason, Americans just seem to have a 'soft spot' in their hearts for Italians, Irish, Lithuanians, Chinese, Vietnamese, Arabs, Indians, Pakistanis, Norwegians, Argentinians, Germans, Brazilians, Moroccans, Greeks, Poles, Swedes, Filipinos, Koreans, Cubans, Bolivians, Canadians, Turks, Albanians, Mongolians, Bangladeshis, Cambodians, Nigerians, and Kenyans....

But for SOME reason, Americans just all seem to get together and HATE MEXICANS!....I can't explain it...There's just some 'flaw' in the American character, I guess. It would take a psychiatrist to put a 'label' on it, and I'm not sure even THAT would clear it up. It's like there's a whole NATION of educated, intelligent, normally 'nice' people, who for some reason, just 'got up one morning' and decided to HATE another culture....and ONLY 'that' specific culture. Go figure. It's as if they're determined NEVER to give Mexicans an even chance, period. Very troubling....PARTICULARLY so, in view of the fact that these Mexicans have bent over BACKWARD to try to get on our "good side". It's sad they way they try so hard to 'fit in', yet keep getting rebuffed. Some Americans have a LOT of explaining to do, if you ask me.

It's a mystery to me...but you've pointed it out....and I sense it, too.

Wordplay aside, those claims have been made. And it's absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
And did it occur to you that the waving of the Mexican flag by a people who espouse hatred at our culture kinda pissed us off a tad.

What makes you thin that us whities cant get pissed about something/

Proclaim your culture thats fine. No problem.
Be proud of your family heritage, Iam.
But dont get in my face and then act all offended when I get back.
Its that simple.

You wanna be an American we think thats great.
You wanna be a member of Atzlan, here in OUR country, not YOUR country well thats gonna **** us off........
What part of that dont you under stand.............???????
Probably the Aztlan part. Don't understand that at all. You made some sense until you threw "aztlan" on the table.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:12 PM

[quote=Benicar;4402924]Great points! It’s an enigma that I am certainly not qualified to explain. Why on earth would U.S. citizens resent being used and abused? Why would we not embrace being referred to as racists, nativists, xenophobes, or haters? Why would we not encourage people illegally residing in this country to thumb their noses at us, laugh at the non-enforcement of our laws, ridicule us for our stupidity, and dare us to object?

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again; if we had millions of Nigerians invading our country, there would be no end to the outrage from groups such as La Raza. It would be considered intolerable and unacceptable, and there certainly would not be much compassion from the “Hispanic” community, including Mexicans. The concept of Black/Brown unity would be nonexistent.[/quote]

Sorry, but youre kind of full of it. Posts like these give me the impression of your views on the Mexican-American community.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:25 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
[quote=Benicar;4402924]Great points! It’s an enigma that I am certainly not qualified to explain. Why on earth would U.S. citizens resent being used and abused? Why would we not embrace being referred to as racists, nativists, xenophobes, or haters? Why would we not encourage people illegally residing in this country to thumb their noses at us, laugh at the non-enforcement of our laws, ridicule us for our stupidity, and dare us to object?

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again; if we had millions of Nigerians invading our country, there would be no end to the outrage from groups such as La Raza. It would be considered intolerable and unacceptable, and there certainly would not be much compassion from the “Hispanic” community, including Mexicans. The concept of Black/Brown unity would be nonexistent.

Sorry, but youre kind of full of it. Posts like these give me the impression of your views on the Mexican-American community.
Full of what? Are you suggesting if we had millions of Nigerians illegally in this country, you would be advocating a “path to citizenship” or similar measures? Can you honestly say you would feel the same level of compassion? Would you post on this forum with the same amount of passion and indignation? At least be honest with yourself.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Full of what? Are you suggesting if we had millions of Nigerians illegally in this country, you would be advocating a “path to citizenship” or similar measures? Can you honestly say you would feel the same level of compassion? Would you post on this forum with the same amount of passion and indignation? At least be honest with yourself.
Doesn't matter. You made up your mind on what you think of me and my community based on your own assumptions and distrust.
Ive never met a Nigerian, but I've met several East African(Somalian, Ethiopians) immigrants when I lived in their neighborhood. Some of them were probably illegal. It didn't really matter to me. I took the time to get to know them and try to relate. Have you done the same for Hispanic illegal immigrants? No, your determined to bring out every negative aspect about the illegal individual immigrant you can dig up.

What do you base your assumptions about the Hispanic community on? Because there are Hispanic-American groups that represent Hispanic-Americans and Hispanic immigrants? So that means they only care about their own group, while every other group cares about the whole world.

You make statements like that that show you don't hold Hispanics very highly in your opinion, and then you get mad when anyone calls you on it.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:49 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
I hold illegal immigrants in contempt----------of any race/ethnicity.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. You made up your mind on what you think of me and my community based on your own assumptions and distrust.
Ive never met a Nigerian, but I've met several East African(Somalian, Ethiopians) immigrants when I lived in their neighborhood. Some of them were probably illegal. It didn't really matter to me. I took the time to get to know them and try to relate. Have you done the same for Hispanic illegal immigrants? No, your determined to bring out every negative aspect about the illegal individual immigrant you can dig up.

What do you base your assumptions about the Hispanic community on? Because there are Hispanic-American groups that represent Hispanic-Americans and Hispanic immigrants? So that means they only care about their own group, while every other group cares about the whole world.

You make statements like that that show you don't hold Hispanics very highly in your opinion, and then you get mad when anyone calls you on it.
Please, not this again. I have probably met illegal Hispanics and simply didn’t know it. Why? Because I don’t relate to people in that manner. I don’t have a racist bone in my body, and your constant insistence to the contrary does not change that one iota.

We will never agree on this subject. You are determined to perceive me as an anti-Mexican racist, and to that I say, knock yourself out.

Your comments relating to the Hispanic community are laughable. You have no idea how many Hispanics are involved in my life. Of course, I would also have to despise my own son.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Please, not this again. I have probably met illegal Hispanics and simply didn’t know it. Why? Because I don’t relate to people in that manner. I don’t have a racist bone in my body, and your constant insistence to the contrary does not change that one iota.

We will never agree on this subject. You are determined to perceive me as an anti-Mexican racist, and to that I say, knock yourself out.

Your comments relating to the Hispanic community are laughable. You have no idea how many Hispanics are involved in my life. Of course, I would also have to despise my own son.
Did I straight out call you racist? I didn't, but you make many statements that show your feelings towards Hispanics/Mexican. How would it sound the other way around?

"The African-American community doesn't care about Hispanics. The civil rights movement was only done for themselves. When a Black man is the victim of police brutality, they'll jump all over it. But if a Brown person is beat by the same cop, they will likely ignore it, and not show any compassion.
The NAACP is a racist organization that only cares about Black people. I wonder what their 'real motives' are."

Of course, I dont believe any of that, but that is the comments you are making.

On a couple of threads you make questionable statements, and then have to throw out the fact your son is half Argentine as if that somehow makes it ok.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Did I straight out call you racist? I didn't, but you make many statements that show your feelings towards Hispanics/Mexican. How would it sound the other way around?

"The African-American community doesn't care about Hispanics. The civil rights movement was only done for themselves. When a Black man is the victim of police brutality, they'll jump all over it. But if a Brown person is beat by the same cop, they will likely ignore it, and not show any compassion.
The NAACP is a racist organization that only cares about Black people. I wonder what their 'real motives' are."

Of course, I dont believe any of that, but that is the comments you are making.

On a couple of threads you make questionable statements, and then have to throw out the fact your son is half Argentine as if that somehow makes it ok.
Admittedly, I feel absolute contempt for illegal aliens, irrespective of race/ethnicity. Is it my fault the majority of illegals happen to be Hispanic? If that makes me anti-Hispanic in your opinion, so be it. I also feel intense loathing for anyone who harms a child, in particular pedophiles. Most child predators are men. Does that qualify me as being a man-hater?

Yes, I do resent La Raza and other so-called Hispanic advocacy groups that previously had no use whatsoever for the “black community” and have suddenly embraced them due to the backlash from illegal immigration. I don’t like users, period.

Yes, I resent illegal aliens comparing their “plight” to the struggles of Black America. There is no comparison.

Yes, I mention my son. Not as an excuse, because I don’t need one. However, common sense should dictate that I wouldn’t have become involved with a man if I hated his ethnicity.

For the trillionth time, I hate no one; but I will not apologize for my anti-illegal stance. I am entitled to my opinion, just as you are entitled to yours. Our opposing views on this debate, does not equate to you being “good” and me being “bad.” Sorry.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Admittedly, I feel absolute contempt for illegal aliens, irrespective of race/ethnicity. Is it my fault the majority of illegals happen to be Hispanic? If that makes me anti-Hispanic in your opinion, so be it. I also feel intense loathing for anyone who harms a child, in particular pedophiles. Most child predators are men. Does that qualify me as being a man-hater?

Yes, I do resent La Raza and other so-called Hispanic advocacy groups that previously had no use whatsoever for the “black community” and have suddenly embraced them due to the backlash from illegal immigration. I don’t like users, period.

Yes, I resent illegal aliens comparing their “plight” to the struggles of Black America. There is no comparison.

Yes, I mention my son. Not as an excuse, because I don’t need one. However, common sense should dictate that I wouldn’t have become involved with a man if I hated his ethnicity.

For the trillionth time, I hate no one; but I will not apologize for my anti-illegal stance. I am entitled to my opinion, just as you are entitled to yours. Our opposing views on this debate, does not equate to you being “good” and me being “bad.” Sorry.

Your criticisms cross the line between illegals and Latino Americans many times.

And Latino groups have worked with Black groups many times over the history of this country because of the problems they SHARE.
Your accusations of Latinos using Blacks is totally out of left field, and there is no reason for you to make that accusation other than thats how you feel.

But you are too narrowminded to acknowledge any Latino issue besides immigration. And that issue you makes you bitter enough(for some reason) to be against any kind of Black-Brown Unity.

Its people like you that prevent the groups from having any kind of cooperation. But I guess if you don't live in the communities where both groups are heavily represented, its easy to not care and not see the similarities and instead focuse on immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or