U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 10:01 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times

Advertisements

If playing the 'race card'-----how do Anglo Whites, Asians and Blacks who have tan skin avoid getting 'profiled' as 'Hispanic'?

OTOH: one time I was speaking to a 'Latina' of evidently 100% Northern European heritage complete with a German surname; she admitted that the INS left her alone.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:35 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,047,716 times
When law enforcement is profiling for illegals they know who they are looking for.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:09 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,168,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
The fact is most illegal aliens are Hispanic, who should the police be targeting?
Racial discrimination isn't the way to go about anything. My dad got pulled over couple years ago. Before the cop stopped us he bet my mom that the cop would stop us. Indeed he did. He said we looked suspicious and didn't believe my dad had a fake ID-- even though the cop found out my dad spoke perfect English with no accent what so ever. Also the cops here are very racist (in the bay area). I have an uncle who became a cop and the first day on the job the White cop wanted to "mess" with one of those poor ice cream men. My uncle refused and was reported by the White cop for not following orders.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:31 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,013,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Racial discrimination isn't the way to go about anything.

I really don't see this as a racial discrimination issue. I think we've been invaded by a foreign army that's responsible for more American deaths in this country than al queda is. Profiling is a legitimate law enforcement tool.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:36 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,168,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I really don't see this as a racial discrimination issue. I think we've been invaded by a foreign army that's responsible for more American deaths in this country than al queda is. Profiling is a legitimate law enforcement tool.

Ok-- picture this scenario. You wake up go to work and your stopped. You show up to work about a half hour late. This continues almost every week by different officers until you're threatened to be fired. At this point your employer no longer buys the story that you keep getting stopped every week. This has happened to people I know and they have gotten fired. You tell me if this is legitimate. Or maybe we can air brush ourselves, put blue contacts in our eyes and dye our hair blonde. My uncle actually ended up changing his first name because of it from Jose to Joe and his last name.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:30 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,046,516 times
Quote:
Ok-- picture this scenario. You wake up go to work and your stopped. You show up to work about a half hour late. This continues almost every week by different officers until you're threatened to be fired. At this point your employer no longer buys the story that you keep getting stopped every week. This has happened to people I know and they have gotten fired. You tell me if this is legitimate. Or maybe we can air brush ourselves, put blue contacts in our eyes and dye our hair blonde. My uncle actually ended up changing his first name because of it from Jose to Joe and his last name.
Just as it's unfortunate that it takes 3 hours and everything but a cavity search to get on plane due to anti terrorism measures, it will be unfortunate that innocent, legal hispanics will be profiled but it will be a necessary evil. I understand that although I'm not a terrorist that the precautions taken at airports are for my benefit so I don't take it personally, and I hope that a legal hispanic will feel the same way with the current illegal immigration situation. Also what your mentioning has nothing to due with cops pulling people over whom the believe to be illegal, it has to do with racial profiling and harassment of all non white citizens. I also grew up in the Bay, and know many non white people who would claim the were being pulled over because they were Black, Mexican or whatever in spite of the fact that they were breaking the law by speeding, wreckless driving, etc., in the hope that the officer would fear a harassment charge and let them go. So many times it's a BS excuse to get out of a ticket, which in turn ruins credibilty for those actually being harassed. But then again sometimes cops are just jerks, and they don't care what color you are, that's just life.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:52 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,415,464 times
Quote:
Well, it seems to me that the cops are doing their jobs.

Why don't you inform every illegal alien you know to go back to their home countries because they are messing up your life here?

It's THEIR fault you and your family are being harrassed, not the fault of any citizen in this country.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:48 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,719,093 times
Quote:
Ok-- picture this scenario. You wake up go to work and your stopped. You show up to work about a half hour late. This continues almost every week by different officers until you're threatened to be fired. At this point your employer no longer buys the story that you keep getting stopped every week.
Solution: leave for work half an hour earlier each day.
Quote:
This has happened to people I know and they have gotten fired. You tell me if this is legitimate.
Or maybe we can air brush ourselves, put blue contacts in our eyes and dye our hair blonde.
Why not? That's what Paris Hilton did.
Quote:
My uncle actually ended up changing his first name because of it from Jose to Joe and his last name.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:04 PM

9,068 posts, read 15,505,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Well, it seems to me that the cops are doing their jobs.

Why don't you inform every illegal alien you know to go back to their home countries because they are messing up your life here?

It's THEIR fault you and your family are being harrassed, not the fault of any citizen in this country.
Ah I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure citizens are hiring them for their businesses, giving them loans, apartment leases, cars...

I am also pretty sure US citizens are running the government of this country that citizens of this country voted in.

Spread the blame around a bit please.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:17 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Ah I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure citizens are hiring them for their businesses, giving them loans, apartment leases, cars...

I am also pretty sure US citizens are running the government of this country that citizens of this country voted in.

Spread the blame around a bit please.
Hence our impending Employer Sanctions Law here in Arizona------which is intended to punish those business owners who knowingly hire an illegal immigrant.

NOTE: if said illegal has a Social Security number that passes scrutiny; the business is off the hook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or