U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2007, 07:21 AM
 
1,210 posts, read 1,041,296 times
Reputation: 540

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Police are accused of singling out immigrants.


A small number of rogue police officers are targeting undocumented immigrants in attempts to have them deported two days after House Bill 1804 went into effect, Tulsa Hispanic leaders said Friday.

Officers will always take the law into their own hands and cross the line, the Rev. Victor Orta said at a press conference.

Police officers recently pulled over a legal American Hispanic while he was driving with his girlfriend and later arrested him because he couldn't prove his identity, Orta said.

Tulsa World: Hispanics claim targeting
I always thought it is the job of the police to enforce the law. I hope they keep doing their job until every one of them are deported.

 
Old 11-05-2007, 07:55 AM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,716,734 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk405359 View Post
.......

The particular area is the exact area the law was passed in, but it's not exclusive there. Any place with a high Hispanic population deals with it. It's not necessarily that the cops are racist, it's that they are being specifically urged to target certain groups. And it's not the same as being pulled over for what you were driving or how you are dressed, you can change those. I can't change that I'm Hispanic.
Hohoho! 'Any place with a high Hispanic population deals with it'? Move to a sanctuary city and your worries will be over. Trust me, I live in one.

If you really are Hispanic and subject to this ongoing, repeated (in your eyes) discrimination, I find it difficult to believe that you have not either a) reported the involved police officers to their superiors or b) called LaRaza, MALDEF, Lulac, the ACLU, the SPLC or any other of a multitude of groups.
This simply does not ring true.
 
Old 11-05-2007, 08:26 AM
 
1,266 posts, read 2,225,595 times
Reputation: 436
Boo hoo. Have you ever been asked to prove your identity? Big deal. If your legal you have nothing to fear.
 
Old 11-05-2007, 09:54 AM
 
1,393 posts, read 2,492,784 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
What part of "Scenario" do you not understand?

"This has happened to people I know and they have gotten fired. You tell me if this is legitimate."

I guess this part !
 
Old 11-05-2007, 10:24 AM
 
1,266 posts, read 2,225,595 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk405359 View Post
It's easy to claim that something is a necessary evil when you're not the victim of it.

I can tell you, this is one legal hispanic who does take it personally when I can't walk downtown in the city I grew up in without having an officer stop me to ask to see my ID. I take it personally when I'm trying to go the bank in a business suit and get back late because I have to explain myself to an officer with nothing better to do than ask me all the details of my driver's liscense. It is discrimination, plain and simple. I'm being stopped and questioned only because of the color of my skin, and nothing else I say or do matters. I do take that personally, and it's as much the fault of the police for doing it as it is of the illegal immigrants.
Well then you should be mad as hell at the illegals! If not for most of them being hispanic this wouldn't be happening to you. Why don't you join in the crusade to stop illegal immigration. Then no one would need to stop you. If the police are doing something they shouldn't, report them. You have that right as a US citizen. Now get mad at those illegals and the government for not enforcing the laws. Put your anger to work for you! Call your senator!
 
Old 11-05-2007, 01:23 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,072,468 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
What part of "Scenario" do you not understand?
Oh...I dunno...the part where you claim: This has happened to people I know and they have gotten fired.
 
Old 11-05-2007, 02:15 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,165,800 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Oh...I dunno...the part where you claim: This has happened to people I know and they have gotten fired.
That part I referred to my uncle. He has gotten fired after only two stops by the police on his way to work.
 
Old 11-05-2007, 02:24 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,072,468 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
That part I referred to my uncle. He has gotten fired after only two stops by the police on his way to work.
The word "people" is plural.
 
Old 11-11-2007, 11:21 PM
 
7 posts, read 10,875 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Hohoho! 'Any place with a high Hispanic population deals with it'? Move to a sanctuary city and your worries will be over. Trust me, I live in one.

If you really are Hispanic and subject to this ongoing, repeated (in your eyes) discrimination, I find it difficult to believe that you have not either a) reported the involved police officers to their superiors or b) called LaRaza, MALDEF, Lulac, the ACLU, the SPLC or any other of a multitude of groups.
This simply does not ring true.
I didn't contact anyone because I know nothing would ever come from it. I wasn't arrested or ticketed for anything, just called out because of my race.

Call me a pessimist, but I don't do things I believe will be fruitless. I don't even know half of those organizations (of course, I'm sure, by your eyes, I should if I were a real Hispanic, huh?). To be frank, I really don't care at all if you don't believe me. You don't have to, that's your right. But if you think anyone who has ever profiled has spent their time and effort to contact the multitude of legal organizations out there, you're sorely mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Well then you should be mad as hell at the illegals! If not for most of them being hispanic this wouldn't be happening to you. Why don't you join in the crusade to stop illegal immigration. Then no one would need to stop you. If the police are doing something they shouldn't, report them. You have that right as a US citizen. Now get mad at those illegals and the government for not enforcing the laws. Put your anger to work for you! Call your senator!
I don't have to call my senator, my state was the one that passed the strenuous anti-illegal immigration laws. I happen to agree with these laws. I just don't agree with the statement that I should be all hunky-dory at being singled out by those in power solely because of my race.
 
Old 11-12-2007, 12:07 AM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,165,800 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
The fact is most illegal aliens are Hispanic, who should the police be targeting?
No one. No sort of "targeting" should be allowed. "Oh lets go mess with this guy because he looks Mexican. Oh really? He's a native indian? Damn."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top