U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:16 AM

1,590 posts, read 3,133,119 times

Advertisements

Amen about making English the official language. I am fed up with every phone system I call telling me I have to "Press one to continue in English." Also, probably 50% of all posted jobs require that you be bilingual. In no other country in the world are illegals afforded the financial support that we provide, free public education, health care, a seriously overburdened criminal justice system and now New York wants to give them drivers licenses. We are no longer a soverign nation and our government (state and local) has abdicated all responsibility for keeping its citizens safe with secured borders.

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-07-2007 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 10:55 AM

14,697 posts, read 16,214,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Are you SERIOUS ?---when did THAT begin?..but anyway, don't try to confuse me..on THIS forum, we believe that ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS should SPEAK ENGLISH.....please keep that in mind....
Well, it WOULD certainly help their cause quite a bit huh?

I fully admit there IS a strain of ethnic resentment at play in the anti-illegal immigration debate, in the form of being illegal AND flaunting the alien culture in the face of Americans.

They'd have 100X more sympathy and support if it actually made an effort to be like immigrants of yesteryear (and indeed, immigrants of today that DON'T come from Mexico and Central America). It's why I'd more readily support the illegal plight of Irish, Russians, Philippinos, Chinese.... who actually have the goal of assimilating into America, instead of recreating their homeland permanently in the United States.

After all, people from "overseas" CHOOSE America over any of their neighboring economic refuges, and that conscious choice leads to a desire to be accepted. People from SOB unfortunately just come here because it's the closest thing. They don't necessarily have to agree with ANY of the ideals of America. Just the money part.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:16 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,339,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

I fully admit there IS a strain of ethnic resentment at play in the anti-illegal immigration debate, in the form of being illegal AND flaunting the alien culture in the face of Americans.

They'd have 100X more sympathy and support if it actually made an effort to be like immigrants of yesteryear (and indeed, immigrants of today that DON'T come from Mexico and Central America). It's why I'd more readily support the illegal plight of Irish, Russians, Philippinos, Chinese.... who actually have the goal of assimilating into America, instead of recreating their homeland permanently in the United States.

After all, people from "overseas" CHOOSE America over any of their neighboring economic refuges, and that conscious choice leads to a desire to be accepted. People from SOB unfortunately just come here because it's the closest thing. They don't necessarily have to agree with ANY of the ideals of America. Just the money part.
Actually; most of the Hispanic immigrants from South America do want to become true blue Americans

Old 11-07-2007, 06:59 PM

8,972 posts, read 10,595,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

It continues to amaze me to see the bizarre situation we find ourselves in, and still, we don't see it objectively, because we're in the middle of it. But in the timeline of world history, our situation has few, if any, precedents.

Here we literally have 10% of one nation simply "walking in" and setting up housekeeping in ANOTHER nation. In the vast majority of times this has happened elsewhere, war and bloodshed have been the result. It's just not part of human nature to sit by complacently as your country fills up with unauthorized newcomers.

So far, in our case, the worst the "locals" have done is to make a few "nasty", racist, or unfriendly remarks toward the "newcomers"...THAT'S ALL!..no shooting, no assaults, not even any street demonstrations--just a little less-than-welcoming behavior...and a few not-too-bright forum posts.

What have the "newcomers" done? Raged and fumed about "mistreatment"....DEMANDED rights and privileges they KNOW aren't theirs...played the RACE CARD shamelessly...and shown a degree of hostility, cultural insensitivity, and ingratitude that can only be called "shocking". The amount of sneering disrespect for the "host" country is simply beyond comment. It's way beyond "bad manners". No words can address it.

Then, in a staggering act of breath-taking hypocrisy, the "newcomers" proceed blame the "hosts" for all their problems..all the while expressing an undying sentimental nostalgia for the "wonderful" culture back home that, in its disregard for them, made their lives so unbearably devoid of hope that they were forced to pack up and leave their own country..

Sounds to me like the "Stockholm Syndrome"--a strange case years ago in Sweden, in which bank robbers held some victims hostage for several days. When set free by the police, the hostages had apparently come "under the spell" of their captors (!)..they DEFENDED these "nice" people, and criticized the "mean" police, and the "unfair" court system.

Some of the illegal activists sound like that to me. They praise and defend the culture of Mexico..(whose unfair and brutal poverty and kleptomaniac rulers caused their problems) and angrily criticize the "evil US", whose lax and open society tolerated their coming here. Then, in an act of delicious irony, they fume at the "evil, racist gringo" when he fails to understand their self-serving, ungrateful attitude.

I just don't get it. I know lots of Hispanics, and have spent the best years of my life among them, but this "new breed" just mystifies me....

Old 11-07-2007, 07:05 PM

2,541 posts, read 7,751,584 times
Are you sure that romania is very poor?

I think it is just the gypsies that are poor and leaving.

I do not think the EU would have let them in if it was like mexico

And even mexico is really only bad for certain groups.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 PM

13,461 posts, read 16,136,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Amen about making English the official language. I am fed up with every phone system I call telling me I have to "Press one to continue in English." Also, probably 50% of all posted jobs require that you be bilingual.
While I sympathize with the illegals sentiments I find it strange that pushing "1" for english is considered an excessive burden. I find that the vast majority of jobs don't have a bilingual requirement.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,458 times
Default hey guys...

Well, I am really interested in what people say here about gipsies being the problem of romania.

I am a gipsy(rroma) from romania and now living in USA for the past 16 years. I don't see how a minority can be a problem when they are given no chance in life, pushed away, and has no way of getting into civilized society. If they are poor, i dont believe its their fault. Society in that part of the region has cut off all resources that they could use to gain knowledge, school etc..

I remember when i was back home, going to school, even teachers would try to give me less of a grade than what i supposed to get. Teachers, and officials are all playing together to make sure Gipsies are staying at the bottom and that they wouldn't be able to move up the letter. Romania only recently got into the EU because they showed a lot of racism towards gipsies and has given no proof of helping them in any way. Even when they did get in, a lot of other countries did not approve because there was a lot more to be done about gipsy racism etc..

If you only had 1 week living in a gipsy persons shoes, you would quickly see that they are really not the problem, because they are constantly being harassed, hated, and pushed down to the bottom, just because of the color of their skin. They don't hate romanians, or anyone in fact, but everyone else is quick to hate them.

Why do you think countries in europe has a lot of problems with immigrants coming out of romania mostly with gipsies? It's because gipsies who were kept in romania and was not allowed to leave the country are finally breaking free and would want to try at a better life somewhere else. They wouldnt be begging on the street, or doing any bad things if it wasn't for the treatment they were getting for decades in romania. What they did to them, are bursting out with a vangence because they dont know any better. It's like this..If u keep a dog captive and teach him nothing at all, that dog will go wild when his released. When you only know in life of people hating you and most of the time you dont even know the real reason behind it, but they hate you, harrass you, beat you, kill you in a lot of cases, just because of the name Gipsy...isint that proves how close minded people are? We are in 2008 and romanians are still full of hate and racism..

Luckily I am in usa, and here i was able t get 2 college degree. A bachelor in Computer Animation, and an associate in Graphic Design.

Those who say, gipsies do not want to work and lazy are also wrong. How can someone work, or get a better education when society makes sure that they do not move up the ladder? My whole family is educated and not because of just america, but because we also strived for education even in romania, which was even harder because teachers were not fair with the grades we got, but we kept on pressing and finally i was able to graduate from all my classes...here i finished my high school, college, and still educating myself...

Please, if you write back to me with no real argument behind your reasons than try not to insult me. I am just trying to state what i know that is happening...and why...It is not really fair for you to only have 1 story about gipsies taking over europe and how they are parasites? but also fair to say what caused it, and why they are doing what they are doing...If U keep someone long enough in captivity with with almost no human rights, and expect them to be law obeying civilized people, well consequences do happen, and this is part of what is happening..If you don't take the time to understand them, than you have no right to judge them in all honesty...Everything has a CAUSE and EFFECT..

Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 AM

rroma:

You stepped up and took personal responsibility for yourself-------unlike many other people of any race/ethnicity.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:11 AM

8,972 posts, read 10,595,493 times
rroma--- I don't want to INSULT you, I want to KISS YOU (just kidding---really) Your statement is WELL-PUT and particularly valuable, coming from your viewpoint as an incoming "economic refugee/ immigrant". If ALL immigrants had your attitude, this forum would have only TWO OLD RACISTS left on it, rather than hundreds of angry folks as it now has.

You stated the mistreatment and the disadvantages that were your lot...and you BLAMED THE PROPER PARTY (the Romanian society). Then you went on to name the advantages you NOW enjoy (an education among them) and you CREDITED THE PROPER PARTY (namely, the American society which afforded YOU the freedom to develop your OWN potential).

My impression of you is that you are GLAD to be here---you don't seem to spend much time being resentful....and when you DO get resentful, you direct your resentment at your former tormentors "back home", NOT at the American society...

So what's not to LIKE in your message? Your message should be translated into 37 languages (mostly Spanish) and posted at 16' intervals along BOTH land borders of the US, AND in Airports...

"WANT TO ENTER THE US ?....First, read this message from rroma".....

Good post..

Old 02-20-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
rroma--- I don't want to INSULT you, I want to KISS YOU (just kidding---really) Your statement is WELL-PUT and particularly valuable, coming from your viewpoint as an incoming "economic refugee/ immigrant". If ALL immigrants had your attitude, this forum would have only TWO OLD RACISTS left on it, rather than hundreds of angry folks as it now has.

You stated the mistreatment and the disadvantages that were your lot...and you BLAMED THE PROPER PARTY (the Romanian society). Then you went on to name the advantages you NOW enjoy (an education among them) and you CREDITED THE PROPER PARTY (namely, the American society which afforded YOU the freedom to develop your OWN potential).

My impression of you is that you are GLAD to be here---you don't seem to spend much time being resentful....and when you DO get resentful, you direct your resentment at your former tormentors "back home", NOT at the American society...

So what's not to LIKE in your message? Your message should be translated into 37 languages (mostly Spanish) and posted at 16' intervals along BOTH land borders of the US, AND in Airports...

"WANT TO ENTER THE US ?....First, read this message from rroma".....

Good post..
Again: macmeal speaks words of wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration