U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 10:06 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
There is a Romanian Orthodox Church. I think most Romanians are Orthodox Christians. There are probably some Moslem of Turkish descent there as well.
Another odd "tid-bit" in this complex area is the language. It's my understanding that Romanian is a 'Romance Language', related to Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, etc., and is totally different from the other Balkan languages, which, I suppose are Slavic.

Hungarian is also, I believe, a VERY different language, related to Finnish and Turkish, and THESE languages aren't even part of the huge "Indo-European" family (which runs all the way from Scandinavia to India)----they're related to languages in Central Asia (not being a linguist, this is only my 'understanding' )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:19 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,139,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Not quite sure about the Philippinos, they learn english as a second languate in their home countries because they know it will help them come to America and make money, that is their main objective, not assimilation. My wife is from the Philippines so I think I have a pretty good perspective on this.
This is HILARIOUS! First of all, since you're married to one, try to spell it right - Filipino. Next, English is taught in schools beginning in kindergarten because there is a large foreign population and industry in the Philippines, not because everyone wants to come to the US, and everyone, including the tribes people in the Ifugao mountains can and do speak English. The Philippines is a popular tourist destination. This is why people speak English. It probably has something to do with the Philippines being a Commonwealth of the US for 10 years. My sister and brother in law are still in the Philippines and refuse to come to the US as immigrants. Have your wife give you a proper education about her country.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
This is HILARIOUS! First of all, since you're married to one, try to spell it right - Filipino. Next, English is taught in schools beginning in kindergarten because there is a large foreign population and industry in the Philippines, not because everyone wants to come to the US, and everyone, including the tribes people in the Ifugao mountains can and do speak English. The Philippines is a popular tourist destination. This is why people speak English. It probably has something to do with the Philippines being a Commonwealth of the US for 10 years. My sister and brother in law are still in the Philippines and refuse to come to the US as immigrants. Have your wife give you a proper education about her country.
Also contributing to the English familiarity is the fact that about HALF the adult males in the Philippines served in the US Navy (just kidding-but there were a LOT of them, and they got US citizenship after a 4-year enlistment as a 'steward'..after which, many re-enlisted, and went into other job-descriptions, and stayed until retirement). Also the HUGE numbers of Filipino civilians employed on such enormous US bases as Clark Field and Subic Bay.....

I believe the "F" spelling is a vestige of their long history under the rule of Spain. Spanish, as you know, doesn't recognize the "Ph" as we do in English--(Thus the words "Farmacia, Telefono....and 'Filadelfia, PA"..

Old 02-23-2008, 12:49 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,139,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
and 'Filadelfia, PA"..
Cute, mac...

Old 02-23-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Cute, mac...
Not meant to be cute, really--I have several maps printed in Spanish that refer to "Filadelfia", (and also to "Carolina del Sur" and "Virginia del Oeste")..
Some, however, HAVE adapted to the foreign (to Spanish) usage of the "Ph". Spanish ALSO lacks the "K" and the "W", but does recognize their use in 'foreign' terms (such as "Washington D.C")

THough we use the same "alfabet", in Spanish, "ll", "rr". and "Ch", are looked at as separate letters, distinct from the l, the r, or the C. (Similar to the American English phone book, where we occasionally see "Mc" listed separately from "M"...

As people get more 'sophisticated, they learn to adapt to each others' peculiarities. Years ago, on American maps, it was common to see words such as "Mohave" and "Navaho"...nowadays, MOST Americans understand the Spanish "J", and we usually spell them "Mojave" and "Navajo".

Old 02-23-2008, 02:56 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not meant to be cute, really--I have several maps printed in Spanish that refer to "Filadelfia", (and also to "Carolina del Sur" and "Virginia del Oeste")..
Some, however, HAVE adapted to the foreign (to Spanish) usage of the "Ph". Spanish ALSO lacks the "K" and the "W", but does recognize their use in 'foreign' terms (such as "Washington D.C")

THough we use the same "alfabet", in Spanish, "ll", "rr". and "Ch", are looked at as separate letters, distinct from the l, the r, or the C. (Similar to the American English phone book, where we occasionally see "Mc" listed separately from "M"...

As people get more 'sophisticated, they learn to adapt to each others' peculiarities. Years ago, on American maps, it was common to see words such as "Mohave" and "Navaho"...nowadays, MOST Americans understand the Spanish "J", and we usually spell them "Mojave" and "Navajo".
Both spellings of 'Mohave' are used:

The county in NW Arizona is Mohave whereas the Mojave Desert uses the alternate spelling

Old 02-23-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Both spellings of 'Mohave' are used:

The county in NW Arizona is Mohave whereas the Mojave Desert uses the alternate spelling
OK, but YOU guys won't even use daylight savings time. (VERY confusing in the Laughlin-Bullhead City area)..

Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 AM

1,144 posts, read 3,255,330 times
Quote:
All right, let me help you a bit. Both Filipino and Philippino can be used, is the country named the Filipines? Those tribes you are talking about, I have come into contact with many of the indigenous tribes up in the mountains and most of them don't even speak Tagalog, let alone English. I admit, that the presence of the Navy/Air Force in the Phillipines had an impact (although these bases where in certain off the track locals, not in Manila, let alone any of the numerous islands. The U.S. presence there prompted only the monied class to learn english as back when the Americans where there the vast majority didn't have the means to worry about speaking English. Outmigration is big business in the Philippines and the urging for children to learn English is huge. This is, along with the fact Philippinos are considered to be a passive, non-complaining bunch (as long as being paid of course) is the reason many countries love to import them as labor. Philippinos however, whether in Kuwait, Canada or the United States really have no real plans to assimilate, at least at levels of other groups I've seen coming in. Don't spin buddy, it's a sign of desperation.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:15 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
All right, let me help you a bit. Both Filipino and Philippino can be used, is the country named the Filipines? Those tribes you are talking about, I have come into contact with many of the indigenous tribes up in the mountains and most of them don't even speak Tagalog, let alone English. I admit, that the presence of the Navy/Air Force in the Phillipines had an impact (although these bases where in certain off the track locals, not in Manila, let alone any of the numerous islands. The U.S. presence there prompted only the monied class to learn english as back when the Americans where there the vast majority didn't have the means to worry about speaking English. Outmigration is big business in the Philippines and the urging for children to learn English is huge. This is, along with the fact Philippinos are considered to be a passive, non-complaining bunch (as long as being paid of course) is the reason many countries love to import them as labor. Philippinos however, whether in Kuwait, Canada or the United States really have no real plans to assimilate, at least at levels of other groups I've seen coming in. Don't spin buddy, it's a sign of desperation.
Are you sure about that?

The outmarriage rate of especially Filipina (sp) women is huge.......at least here in the West.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Are you sure about that?

The outmarriage rate of especially Filipina (sp) women is huge.......at least here in the West.
I'll have to agree. There are LOTS of Filipinos around, and they sure seem assimilated to ME...many are in the medical field..Dentists, Nurses, etc. Huge number are married to Americans. THey form a prominent part of the Catholic Church here....seem to be 'fitting in" pretty well, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or