U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If we kicked out the illegal aliens, we would have 1970s level inflation
Illegal aliens keep our costs lower and keep down inflation 8 27.59%
There is no link between inflation and illegal immigration 21 72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 03:59 PM

447 posts, read 706,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Remember the 1970s? There were very few illegal immigrants in America. High School kids worked at fast food and most products consumed in America was made in America. Factory work paid well and a manufacturing worker could support his family in a good middle class lifestyle.

I remember another thing about the 1970s though, very high inflation. Does anyone else think that millions of illegal (and legal) immigrants who will work for very little money (along with cheap goods from overseas) may be a reason there is far less inflation today.

Kick out the illegal aliens and bring back inflation?

i was also a child of the 70's and i do remember the inflation, i remember lining up for gasoline by the odd and even system on your license plate...i also remember a war in viet nam...i really dont think that the economy or inflation rate of today has anything to do with the numbers of illegals....

Old 11-04-2007, 04:37 PM

oops, hit the wrong button..please allow me to finish my thought.
maybe the economy is helped by the number of people buying products, (legal and illegal alike) but you would hope for that with population numbers as they are...
if the numbers went down, and immigration laws were enforced strictly, the economy would be hit, but i beleive that americans are resourceful, and given time, things would be just fine. we are a strong nation that needs to unifie again.
people who are pro illegal, (maybe some with good reason) seem to forget what america exports herself.what an american puts into the economy.
they try to frighten us into believeing that we can't do it without the illegal who works for less.because enforcing borders would limit the immigration.
when the truth is that we are an old country, maybe still an infant, in comparison to some. but, immigration laws have been in place for many years, and did work.
all we need to do, is enforce them again.
personally i know what liivng hand to mouth means, but to have a secure border would be worth the risk.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:41 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,698,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Not all americans were like your Grandmother and thats really obvious.
More were like her than unlike her. There is a reason that the people of my father's generation, men and women alike, are called The Greatest Generation.

Man, I wish that I had known it all at seventeen the way you seem to think you do.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
More were like her than unlike her. There is a reason that the people of my father's generation, men and women alike, are called The Greatest Generation.

Man, I wish that I had known it all at seventeen the way you seem to think you do.
ditto................

Old 11-04-2007, 11:10 PM

402 posts, read 939,247 times
Quote:
ProLogic , I wish I could scan all the pages in my text books around the time of the depression.
Just what would that prove? Especially to those of us who had families who lived through it? We have first hand stories about what our families lived through and survived by their blood sweat and tears. I remember my mom talking about how sometimes all she had to feed her family was water gravy and bread. If they were lucky maybe "old Bessie" would give them a bit of milk to make gravy with. My dad worked on the WPA program to help make ends meet. It kept them off welfare. I think he averaged about $100.00 a month, Momma took in laundry and made Tamale's to sell for extra income. Yes I said tamales. It was a rough time for them.

They got through that and Daddy started share cropping until the Dust Bowl came along, then as so many people did,, they headed west, along with many other families who were trying to find work. That was probably even more hard on them than the Great Depression. One thing right after another. They lived "The Grapes of Wrath". So your text books can't tell me and many others here what we don't already know. Life was hard but not one of these people who lived through it ever left the USA (that I know of) to infrienge on another country for their living. Other States, Yes, but they did not break the laws of another country.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:13 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,165,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
Just what would that prove? Especially to those of us who had families who lived through it? We have first hand stories about what our families lived through and survived by their blood sweat and tears. I remember my mom talking about how sometimes all she had to feed her family was water gravy and bread. If they were lucky maybe "old Bessie" would give them a bit of milk to make gravy with. My dad worked on the WPA program to help make ends meet. It kept them off welfare. I think he averaged about $100.00 a month, Momma took in laundry and made Tamale's to sell for extra income. Yes I said tamales. It was a rough time for them.

They got through that and Daddy started share cropping until the Dust Bowl came along, then as so many people did,, they headed west, along with many other families who were trying to find work. That was probably even more hard on them than the Great Depression. One thing right after another. They lived "The Grapes of Wrath". So your text books can't tell me and many others here what we don't already know. Life was hard but not one of these people who lived through it ever left the USA (that I know of) to infrienge on another country for their living. Other States, Yes, but they did not break the laws of another country.
Exactly.. Americans were less educated back then. They weren't forced to go to school until some time later after they banned children working in factories. There has always been a lower class of people doing all the "dirty work" meaning work that not everyone wants to do.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
There has always been a lower class of people doing all the "dirty work" meaning work that not everyone wants to do.
I sincerely resent that statement. My family were NOT "lower class" they came from very good back grounds and worked hard to take care of their family. Both my mom and my Dad were educated people. How dare you insinuate because they went through rough times they were lower class citizens? Even many the Rich lost everything they had during those years!!!!

You put you foot in your mouth with most every post you make.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:25 PM

Well it may have not been true for some people since most people did lose their jobs-- but even then not to far before that time there were still children working at factories and no required education. A lot of families had to keep their kids at work to support the families-- which bares similar relevance to illegal immigrants from Mexico. The whole family works to make ends meet.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:31 PM

I thought you made a post that said you are trying to learn.............. Where do you get your information??????

Old 11-04-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
I thought you made a post that said you are trying to learn.............. Where do you get your information??????
Last year, U.S History. I'm in Government this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or