U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If we kicked out the illegal aliens, we would have 1970s level inflation
Illegal aliens keep our costs lower and keep down inflation 8 27.59%
There is no link between inflation and illegal immigration 21 72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:27 PM

402 posts, read 938,447 times

Advertisements

Lord help you when you get out of school and have to learn about life face to face with reality.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
They got through that and Daddy started share cropping until the Dust Bowl came along, then as so many people did,, they headed west, along with many other families who were trying to find work. That was probably even more hard on them than the Great Depression. One thing right after another. They lived "The Grapes of Wrath". So your text books can't tell me and many others here what we don't already know. Life was hard but not one of these people who lived through it ever left the USA (that I know of) to infrienge on another country for their living. Other States, Yes, but they did not break the laws of another country.
You just touched upon an irony here:

The 'Okies/Arkies' of the 1930's were looked upon as the 'illegal immigrants' of their era-------never mind that the former crowd were US citizens.

In fact: there were illegal 'checkpoints' at the Ca/Az border in an attempt to keep said Okies out.

Fats forward 60 years and being a Oklahoman is quite the honor these days------especially the class shown during rescue efforts after McVeigh blew up the Murrah Federal Building in OKC back in 1985.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:59 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
The title of the topic sounds like something proillegals would invent. Like illegals only take jobs americans won't do. Like illegals are a boon and not a burden. Like illegal immigration is a victimless crime..
If anything more illegals will cause our life styles to drop even more.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:23 PM

402 posts, read 938,447 times
Quote:
The 'Okies/Arkies' of the 1930's were looked upon as the 'illegal immigrants' of their era-------never mind that the former crowd were US citizens.

In fact: there were illegal 'checkpoints' at the Ca/Az border in an attempt to keep said Okies out.
That is true and it was very hard on families during that time. but the thing is....they survived and did not cross into another country to do it.

Daddy always said he understood a lot of the bad treatment from his fellow countrymen, they were probably as afraid as he was that they would not be able to survive and provide for their own families if all their jobs were going to the OKIES and Arkies and Texans who were out of work.

Quote:
California's "Anti-Okie Law"
In 1937, California passed the so-called "Anti-Okie Law" (Section 2615 St. 1937, p. 1406) which stated, "Every person, firm or corporation, or officer or agent thereof that brings or assists in bringing into the State any indigent person who is not a resident of the State, knowing him to be an indigent person, is guilty of a misdemeanor," The statute was eventually overturned in 1941 by Edwards v. California (314 U.S. 160). Edwards had brought his brother-in-law from Texas to California and was convicted and sent to prison for six months.

Modern usage

It has been said that some Oklahomans who stayed and lived through the Dust Bowl see the Okie migrants as being quitters who fled Oklahoma; but there is hardly a native Oklahoman who does not have some family member who made the trip. Most Oklahoma natives are as proud of their Okies who made good in California as are the Okies themselves—and of the Arkies, West Texans, and others who were cast in with them.[2]
In the later half of the twentieth century, there became increasing evidence that any pejorative meaning of the term "Okie" was changing; former and present "Okies" began to apply the label as a badge of honor and symbol of the Okie survivor attitude.

Those families caught heck for both their own statesmen and from the states they tried to foind work in.

Have you ever heard the song written about that era? It was very popular.

DEAR OKIE - Recorded by Johnny and Jonie Mosby
Words and music by Rudy Sooter and Doye O'Dell

Oh! Dear Okie, if you see Arkie
Tell 'im Tex's got a job for 'im out in Cali-forn-y
Pickin' up prunes, squeezin' oil out of olives

Dear Okie, if you see Arkie
Tell 'im Tex's got a job for 'im out in Cali-forn-y
Rakin' up gold, playin' fiddle in the follies.

Well, he'll be lucky if he finds a place to live
But there's orange juice fountains flowin' for those kids of his

Old 11-07-2007, 05:24 PM

447 posts, read 706,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Exactly.. Americans were less educated back then. They weren't forced to go to school until some time later after they banned children working in factories. There has always been a lower class of people doing all the "dirty work" meaning work that not everyone wants to do.

when my family came to america, my mothers in the 1700's and my fathers in 1639, they were noblemen...maybe your post was not intended to be mean spirited, but, it came across as such.
some may take this as an insult.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Well it may have not been true for some people since most people did lose their jobs-- but even then not to far before that time there were still children working at factories and no required education. A lot of families had to keep their kids at work to support the families-- which bares similar relevance to illegal immigrants from Mexico. The whole family works to make ends meet.
with the no child left behind inititive, no illegal alien child is uneducated, and with welfare suppotrting illegals with false documents, not all families are forced to have every single member working...you try to convince me, but it's not working, prologic.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:27 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,159,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
with the no child left behind inititive, no illegal alien child is uneducated, and with welfare suppotrting illegals with false documents, not all families are forced to have every single member working...you try to convince me, but it's not working, prologic.
Oh darn!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:28 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,815,601 times
cheeky monkey

Old 11-07-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Oh darn!

one of these days, i hope you will learn.
hope someday an illegal touches your life, as it has touched ours...maybe(but i doubt it) then you will understand.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:33 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,159,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
one of these days, i hope you will learn.
hope someday an illegal touches your life, as it has touched ours...maybe(but i doubt it) then you will understand.
My Mother was an illegal and she did touch my life when she had me . "OMG she was using American tax payer dollars to have ProLogic". I can assure you my father was legal and paid for it. Insurance did their part as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or