U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:13 AM

7,624 posts, read 8,115,516 times

Advertisements

I vehemently disagree with the OP. Here is the big issue, if we grant amnesty to the current bunch it will send a message that we will cave to any demand and before you know it the current 20 million will turn into another 20 million and we will need another round of amnesty in a decade or so and yet another amnesty a decade from then on and on and on.

NO, no more amnesty.
OUT, OUT, OUT kick them OUT.

Im all for a pathway ... a pathway that leads right back to wherever it is they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 01:07 PM

166 posts, read 149,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
Or shall we continue with the status quo? What does that solve? If there is a realistic solution I'd love to hear it.

The problem of illegal immigration is such an enormous epic fail on the part of our government. We're simply at a point of no return. Time to wave the white flag but make big changes moving forward. Securing the border being #1. Then taking some pointers about how other countries successfully and humanely enforce their immigration policies.

I'm not hysterical as some here... I don't think it's "the beginning of the end" of the USA as we know it.

Mexicans are some of the friendliest and hardworking people I've encountered growing up in California. Hardly the worst "invaders" we can have. The criminals and takers are the vast minority; unlike what seems to be depicted in this section.

Ahh, the classic the means justify the ends rationale. You will make a splendid father, teaching on principles, right/wrong and values is soooooooooo lame and 20th century.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:11 PM

5,200 posts, read 4,204,940 times
Here's the solution: REMOVE THE BAIT. Absolute prohibition of illegals from getting ANY government money or benefits--including schools.

They'll self-deport, just like they self-imported. Problem solved, permanently.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:19 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
But, But ... Marco "Two Face" has a solution, then he doesn't, then he does.... varies with audience...

Why Marco Rubio is against his own immigration bill ó and what it means
2 face? The bill did not contain the measures he thought it needed. Like tighter border security. As far as I am concerned reform should never = reward for criminals. Any bill that would seek to reward needs to be vetoed.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:58 AM

939 posts, read 1,196,422 times
Why can't they finish the border fence? And make sure that all SSNs be checked for age and sex when new employees are hired and bank accounts opened to prevent identity theft?

Old 06-07-2013, 01:40 PM

3,186 posts, read 5,452,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Why can't they finish the border fence? And make sure that all SSNs be checked for age and sex when new employees are hired and bank accounts opened to prevent identity theft?
A fence will never work.Talking about a fence is just smoke and mirrors to create an illusion that it will stop them. The solution is to deal with them like they do in Canada..In short in Canada all aliens MUST have a government issued workers permit and anyone hiring aliens must be sure they have a permit...This system works.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 PM

939 posts, read 1,196,422 times
Why won't a fence work? How else are Mexicans and Central Americans coming into the U.S.? They aren't visa overstays who entered legally.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 PM

7,384 posts, read 3,852,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
Or shall we continue with the status quo? What does that solve? If there is a realistic solution I'd love to hear it.

The problem of illegal immigration is such an enormous epic fail on the part of our government. We're simply at a point of no return. Time to wave the white flag but make big changes moving forward. Securing the border being #1. Then taking some pointers about how other countries successfully and humanely enforce their immigration policies.

I'm not hysterical as some here... I don't think it's "the beginning of the end" of the USA as we know it.

Mexicans are some of the friendliest and hardworking people I've encountered growing up in California. Hardly the worst "invaders" we can have. The criminals and takers are the vast minority; unlike what seems to be depicted in this section.
Completely agreed. The underlying problem is that a dam on a river must be designed to handle floods. Our immigration policy doesn't do anything like that. When people want to come here in large numbers, our ridiculous quota system and insanely long naturalization process make doing things the legal way extremely unattractive. Why put yourself on a waiting list that might take years when you can just jump over the fence right now? Build a bigger wall, and people will simply go around it. And by criminalizing immigration into the USA, you now have more criminals than you know what to do with. The expense of actually tracking down all of them is insane!

Decriminalizing illicit drug use (thus taking drug smuggling across the border out of the picture) + simplifying the naturalization process = problem solved. But since you've got about 12 million folks already here, time to come up with a bright idea for transitioning them from being criminals to being Americans. If you're here, have a full time job and want to become an American citizen, then pay a fine or serve in the military -- then become a citizen.

The only other solution I've heard on the matter is this one:

Old 06-07-2013, 06:34 PM

31,475 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
The border wall wasn't finished because it wasn't funded by congress even though it was approved. Go figure. I would take it one step further make all employees currently on a payroll pass e-verify not just new hires.

Last edited by Oldglory; 06-07-2013 at 06:43 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 06:39 PM

7,624 posts, read 8,115,516 times
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Valla_de_Ceuta.jpg
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Verjamelilla.jpg
^ Spain's border with Morocco in the city enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla

10 foot high fences topped with barbed wire and cameras, spotlights, motion sensors, guard towers, and patrol roads. The two cities also have their own special Spanish Customs and Civil Guard paramilitary police units. If that is not enough there is also the Spanish military garrison made up of the elite Spanish Legion and the Army's Regulares locally raised native infantry.

If they can do it why cant we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration