Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:51 AM

345 posts, read 1,030,631 times

Advertisements

Or shall we continue with the status quo? What does that solve? If there is a realistic solution I'd love to hear it.

The problem of illegal immigration is such an enormous epic fail on the part of our government. We're simply at a point of no return. Time to wave the white flag but make big changes moving forward. Securing the border being #1. Then taking some pointers about how other countries successfully and humanely enforce their immigration policies.

I'm not hysterical as some here... I don't think it's "the beginning of the end" of the USA as we know it.

Mexicans are some of the friendliest and hardworking people I've encountered growing up in California. Hardly the worst "invaders" we can have. The criminals and takers are the vast minority; unlike what seems to be depicted in this section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
But, But ... Marco "Two Face" has a solution, then he doesn't, then he does.... varies with audience...

Why Marco Rubio is against his own immigration bill — and what it means

Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 AM

442 posts, read 800,247 times
Yeah, whatever happened to not negotating with terrorists?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:17 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
Or shall we continue with the status quo? What does that solve? If there is a realistic solution I'd love to hear it.

The problem of illegal immigration is such an enormous epic fail on the part of our government. We're simply at a point of no return. Time to wave the white flag but make big changes moving forward. Securing the border being #1. Then taking some pointers about how other countries successfully and humanely enforce their immigration policies.

I'm not hysterical as some here... I don't think it's "the beginning of the end" of the USA as we know it.

Mexicans are some of the friendliest and hardworking people I've encountered growing up in California. Hardly the worst "invaders" we can have. The criminals and takers are the vast minority; unlike what seems to be depicted in this section.
I would rather continue with the status quo and here are the reasons why. 1. There are far too many to amnesty this time around and we have 23 million Americans out of work. 2. Once legalized they will be able to tap into our welfare coffers for themselves not just their anchor babies. 3. If put on a path to citizenship they would be able to sponsor their relatives to come here. 4. It will just encourage more illegals to come here unless we remove all incentives for more to come such as jobs, benefits and birthright citizenship. Our border will never be completely secured unless we build that double layered fence that was promised by congress years. ago.

What does Mexicans being friendly and hardworking have to do with this? We are talking about the ones that violated our immigration laws. There is no one group anyway that can be classified as such. There are good and bad people in every group. They have taken Americans jobs and used fake or stolen ID's to do so. Either that or they have worked under the table avoiding taxes. That isn't criminal to you?

This invasion has altered our culture in many places and diluted our language. Many of them refuse to learn or speak English even if they know Engish and won't assimilate. They don't want to be Americans but Mexicans living in America. They just bring their culture of corruption here.

I will never wave the white flag of surrender to these people and no I am not being hysterical but realistic.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I would rather continue with the status quo and here are the reasons why. 1. There are far too many to amnesty this time around and we have 23 million Americans out of work. 2. Once legalized they will be able to tap into our welfare coffers for themselves not just their anchor babies. 3. If put on a path to citizenship they would be able to sponsor their relatives to come here. 4. It will just encourage more illegals to come here unless we remove all incentives for more to come such as jobs, benefits and birthright citizenship. Our border will never be completely secured unless we build that double layered fence that was promised by congress years. ago.

What does Mexicans being friendly and hardworking have to do with this? We are talking about the ones that violated our immigration laws. There is no one group anyway that can be classified as such. There are good and bad people in every group. They have taken Americans jobs and used fake or stolen ID's to do so. Either that or they have worked under the table avoiding taxes. That isn't criminal to you?

This invasion has altered our culture in many places and diluted our language. Many of them refuse to learn or speak English even if they know Engish and won't assimilate. They don't want to be Americans but Mexicans living in America. They just bring their culture of corruption here.

I will never wave the white flag of surrender to these people and no I am not being hysterical but realistic.
I agree 100% with every word of this. Well said!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Amnesty solves nothing.

What will happen is that over 11 million illegals who could never have found a work sponsor to come here legally will flood the labor market. Their current employers won't want to pay legal wages with benefits, illegals will be free to compete with millions of unemployed Americans for higher paying jobs, the employers of illegals will only start over bringing in millions of new illegals. Illegals will start bringing in indigent family members for the US taxpayers to support.

Because the "family reunification" that is being promised with this huge amnesty is limited to minor children, the amnestied illegals will be very unhappy and pressure for more and more. They intend to bring in their extended families, by rewarding those who break the laws, you only teach them that breaking the laws makes good sense, they'll continue breaking the laws. If they can't bring in their adult children, elderly parents, siblings, cousins, grandparents and so on legally, they'll just bring them in how they do now and demand they be given citizenship with all the government benefits.

With so many millions of new amnestied illegals flooding the legal job market -- with millions newly arriving illegals replacing them in current illegal jobs, the huge over-supply of cheap labor will bring down wages, drastically increase the numbers on welfare programs like food stamps, Medicaid.

This huge amnesty does nothing to solve the problem of illegals. It doesn't eliminate the anchor baby problem with illegals pouring over the border to give birth here to access the many government handouts that gives them, and they'll just continue to use anchor babies as their justification of being here illegally.

Not a single problem is solved -- the underlaying issues are not at all addressed. No one could believe this will stop the flood of people coming over our borders illegally.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

Totally agree. Mexicans living in America and taking advantage of social welfare programs we have for our own citizens.

Colonizing is how I see it. And the same is happening in other first world countries.
The new immigrants are not assimilating but colonizing while taking advantage of programs offered by that government.

And yes it has altered our culture. I'm in the K-12 system and sheer numbers here in Texas (over 50% of school kids are Hispanic) has had a big impact on education and not in a good way I might add.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
This massive amnesty will only entitle them to even more government handouts. They will no longer have to pick lettuce and do those hard work jobs that Americans don't want to do, they'll qualify for unemployment and disability handouts.

Many illegals are getting up in years and will now be heading to the social security offices to get their big USA retirement, all they will need to do is claim to have used a stolen social security number for 10 years and they'll get a nice check for the rest of their lives.

The politicians have not said what they intend to do with all the illegals arriving after 2011, illegal entries are way up since January 2013, and there is nothing in that bill about deportation of those who aren't handed their reward of amnesty. I think we can all assume that those illegals who can't "prove" they've been here before 2012, will continue to live here and start demanding an even more expanded amnesty.

And since there is nothing being done to address the criminals who hire illegals, greedy employers will continue wanting their ultra cheap labor and will continue to do so. If this amnesty was about trying to solve the problem, there would be something done on those who hire illegals.

Why are the current employers of illegals not required to pay all back taxes? And why do those who abide by the laws have the costs of providing work visas but those who break the laws pay nothing at all?

Have the politicians explained about the retirement they intend to give the illegals? Illegals may have shown up at age 55 and will now be getting amnesty and have too few years of work in to qualify for social security, can we afford the millions who will be now added to disability and SSI?

Americans generally work and pay into social security for at least 50 years, so what happens when you add millions who worked for 10-12 years but will want a nice social security retirement for the rest of their lives which could easily be at least 30-40 years of retirement?

Old 06-06-2013, 08:00 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post

And amnesty solves the problem we've had for years? Amnesty only fuels the flames.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
The solution is to edit the 14th amendment, and enforce our current laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration