Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you hire a hispanic day laborer?
I would assume he was illegal and so I would not hire him 8 47.06%
If he proved to me that he was a legal American Resident, maybe 9 52.94%
I might consider it if I could speak Spanish 0 0%
Who ever could do the job at the lowest price will be hired, YES! 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:49 AM

238 posts, read 1,141,154 times

Advertisements

Near where I live we have many Day Laborers standing around waiting for work. Since the economy has slowed and the jobs in home remodeling, landscaping and construction have dried up, our local day laborers are desparate and will work for a very low rate. I assume many are illegal aliens but I have no way of knowing for sure.

We need some painting done in the house and the shed cleaned up. I bet one of those day laborers would love to work for me and would do a fine job at half the pay that local white rednecks would demand.

So, should I hire the day laborers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 07:56 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,721,253 times
Mary Nagle must be added to the list of Americans murdered by illegal aliens. Had her family been more discriminating about whom they hired, she might still be alive today, because the Guatemalan man who raped and killed Mary in her bedroom was painting the Nagle house in Rockland County, New York.

Moderator cut: copyrighted article

More....Immigrations Human Cost

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 04:07 AM..

Old 11-05-2007, 08:05 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,455,965 times
No, I would not hire any individual standing on a street corner to do work in my home of yard. It does not matter one iota what ethnicity, sex, age or anything else they are.
IMO, this is dangerous and definitely not worth whatever amount of money you think you are going to save. If the job you need to have done requires any amount of skill, you also have no guarantee that this person knows what they are doing. If the job is done incorrectly, it could be very expensive to fix. Just ask my neighbors about their roof.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:15 AM

Personally, shoddy workmanship would be the last of my worries.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:56 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,455,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Personally, shoddy workmanship would be the last of my worries.
The major worries are what you listed. If you hire someone on a street corner, you have absolutley no idea who you are allowing onto your property or in your home. It amazes me that our society stresses over and over to children the importance of not talking to strangers, if you feel someone is following you go to the nearest house you know and ask for help, or call the police if you have a cellphone- yet grown adults open their doors for people they know nothing about. I cannot imagine doing this.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:02 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,422,126 times
I am half mexican and I wouldn't hire them, just because I am not an idiot and would like to hire people that are certified to do so.

However, what you maybe don't realize is you hire a contractor, then they go down and hire the day laborers and you end up with the same work.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:06 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,376,837 times
No, I would not hire a day worker ever! Most are unsavory individuals.....

Hell even some businesses do not do background checks on legal citizens.
I only do business with those who make sure the people they send to my home are checked!

Old 11-05-2007, 09:06 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,835,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
I am half mexican and I wouldn't hire them, just because I am not an idiot and would like to hire people that are certified to do so.

However, what you maybe don't realize is you hire a contractor, then they go down and hire the day laborers and you end up with the same work.
Or already have illegal aliens working for them. I want my horses fence rebuilt but can't find a builder that has only documented workers! So my fence has been repaired by myself instead of being replaced.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:11 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,116,834 times
I wouldn't hire a day laborer, ever.

I also would never be alone and unarmed in the house with any service personnel/repair person/tradesman. 99.99999999999% of the time, nothing's going to happen...but why chance it?

Old 11-05-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post

That's why I made sure to investigate thoroughly the last contractor I hired to do any work. He assured me that he hired only Americans because he, like many others in his field, were sick and tired of being undercut by slave labor wages paid to illegals. His base of recommendations came from the fact that he hired only legal workers. Amazingly enough, that alone is a source of relief for many of his clients. Strangely though, I found that when I was collecting estimates, the firm of painters who do hire illegals, (well known in Redondo Beach) came in at $100 less than the American firm. Not such a great savings after all, is it?

Of course, that was in California. Where I am now, Americans are doing the jobs Bush tells us Americans won't do. There isn't an illegal within 50 miles of where I live now. If they are here, they certainly are doing their best to remain invisible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration