U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you hire a hispanic day laborer?
I would assume he was illegal and so I would not hire him 8 47.06%
If he proved to me that he was a legal American Resident, maybe 9 52.94%
I might consider it if I could speak Spanish 0 0%
Who ever could do the job at the lowest price will be hired, YES! 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
That's why I made sure to investigate thoroughly the last contractor I hired to do any work. He assured me that he hired only Americans because he, like many others in his field, were sick and tired of being undercut by slave labor wages paid to illegals. His base of recommendations came from the fact that he hired only legal workers. Amazingly enough, that alone is a source of relief for many of his clients. Strangely though, I found that when I was collecting estimates, the firm of painters who do hire illegals, (well known in Redondo Beach) came in at $100 less than the American firm. Not such a great savings after all, is it?

Of course, that was in California. Where I am now, Americans are doing the jobs Bush tells us Americans won't do. There isn't an illegal within 50 miles of where I live now. If they are here, they certainly are doing their best to remain invisible.
Is the only way you know Americans are doing those jobs is because they are not latin?

I wouldn't hire street corner day laborers, but I would definitely hire Mexicans or anyone that were credible, I would definitely not base it off skin color. Not saying you were, but I am interested in how you know everyone around your new area are not illegals.

I am curious why did you move away from "Mexifornia"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 08:42 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,136,734 times
If that day laborer gets hurt on your property YOU WILL be liable.
If itís worth it to save pennies with the real possibility that they may end up OWNING YOUR HOME then by all means hire that illegal standing on the corner.
You also may end up being that example that ICE needs to demonstrate the penalties of aiding and abetting that illegal alien.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:46 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
I've often hired day laborers to haul rocks, chop brush, or cut up a downed tree --anything I can't do on my own. If I couldn't SPEAK to them, of course, I might not want to do this. I'm not an imigration officer, I'm just a guy who wants some help now and then. I would NOT hire a day laborer to do roofing, plumbing, or any indoor work, as this is not wise for security reasons.
I have hired several people over the years, who, once they got to know me, admitted to being illegal---and have even asked my advice. Several of these guys have become legal over the years, have learned English, etc. But these are people I know. As a general rule, it's not wise to take strangers into your home.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:12 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,686,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Is the only way you know Americans are doing those jobs is because they are not latin?

I wouldn't hire street corner day laborers, but I would definitely hire Mexicans or anyone that were credible, I would definitely not base it off skin color. Not saying you were, but I am interested in how you know everyone around your new area are not illegals.

I am curious why did you move away from "Mexifornia"?
No, the contractor was Hispanic, second generation and he detested illegal immigration--that's a stupid thing to ask.

I've been around enough illegal day laborers to know illegal when I come across it. I had the teetotal hell beat out of me by illegal aliens for being a blonde headed, blue eyed woman in the wrong place at the wrong time, most of them men except for the one woman who slapped me across the face with a full water bottle. I think I have a unique perspective on the situation.

As far as knowing that people in my area are not illegal? The laborers here are mostly Black and White. The few Hispanic workers I've met are second and third generation Wyomingites. The other Hispanic people I know are students with whom I go to university.

Why did I move away from Mexifornia? Mostly to continue my education in a university which offers the best education in my field. Additionally, I got tired of not being able to find work in the industry I grew up in as well. I used to be discriminated against because I am a woman. Now it's because I am an American who expects to be paid a living wage for a craft that I spent more than 20 years of my life honing.

And to tell you the truth, I got tired of having to try to communicate with people who couldn't be bothered to learn the language of the land--whether it was ordering fast food or trying to get help from a guy in a Walgreens who didn't understand the word "rope." I know some Spanish, but I shouldn't be forced to speak it just to buy a freaking rope from an American drugstore in an American city in an American state in the United States of America.

BTW--whoever came up with this poll? Where is the "YES as long as I was assured he was legally allowed to work in this country" option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration