U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Why do pro illegal people ignore the laws?
They think the laws aren't fair 18 51.43%
They don't care about being lawful 3 8.57%
They have a mental illness 3 8.57%
They want to see the US destroyed 11 31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2007, 01:37 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 712,985 times
Reputation: 32

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
"Illegal," "Mexican" and "Mexican flags" should have been clues.

(Who are they. "They" is plural.)
"they" is quoted because it is a singular subject. hence the use of the word "is".

when you say "illegal immigrants" (the subject), you are addressing an entire group. subsequent use of the word "they" references the subject "illegal immigrants". so when you attribute qualities to "they", you are attributing them to the entire group, hence the reason i called you out for generalizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2007, 01:39 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 712,985 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I know so. Bush's approval rating is tied directly to the Iraq debacle. Opinion on illegal immigration is unrelated to Iraq (or Bush).
my point was that initial reaction is sometimes adversed to educated decision-making. i was just using an example.

Quote:
So, you think lettuce will cost $10 a head? You believe illegal immigrants are starving in their home countries?
i believe that mexico has an extremely high poverty rate, and a much worse standard of living, especially in regards to hot water, plumbing, etc.

Quote:
Maybe bleeding-hearts support illegals because they feel rather than think. Emotion over reason. Sadly, there's a phenomenon.
you say "feel rather than think" like the two are mutually exclusive. i happen to do both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 01:48 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,083,263 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
"they" is quoted because it is a singular subject. hence the use of the word "is".

when you say "illegal immigrants" (the subject), you are addressing an entire group. subsequent use of the word "they" references the subject "illegal immigrants". so when you attribute qualities to "they", you are attributing them to the entire group, hence the reason i called you out for generalizing.
Nice rationalization. A bit of grammar review may help.

Your "calling out" was directed at another member who is not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 01:49 PM
 
1,861 posts, read 2,972,301 times
Reputation: 559
Yes, I'm generalizing. MOST are from Mexico, and some from South American countries. Some from Ireland, some from wherever....but most from Mexico.

What is it that you don't understand about "illegal"?

We'll just have to agree to disagree - can't argue with the Open Borders Lobby, if you truly believe that's best for our country. More power to ya, but you're outnumbered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 01:51 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 712,985 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Yes, I'm generalizing.
well dont. if you want credibility, argue the facts. you should need to generalize if your point is credible enough to stand alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 01:52 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,083,263 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
my point was that initial reaction is sometimes adversed to educated decision-making. i was just using an example.
Your example is irrelevant, which was my point. That opinions can be fluid is well-known and accepted; meaning your point is rather pointless.



Quote:
i believe that mexico has an extremely high poverty rate, and a much worse standard of living, especially in regards to hot water, plumbing, etc.
Nearly every country on earth has a lower standard of living than the US. Should nations base immigration law on living standards?



Quote:
you say "feel rather than think" like the two are mutually exclusive. i happen to do both.
The two can be mutually exclusive. When one supports lawbreakers based on sympathy, I'd say the emotional mind is overriding the rational mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 01:52 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 712,985 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Nice rationalization. A bit of grammar review may help.

Your "calling out" was directed at another member who is not me.
sorry about addressing you. simple mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 01:55 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 712,985 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Your example is irrelevant, which was my point. That opinions can be fluid is well-known and accepted. Making such a statement is pointless.
then why say "70-80% against illegals overall" if its just a snapshot of a fluid opinion?

Quote:
Nearly every country on earth has a lower standard of living than the US. Should nations base immigration law on living standards?
it should definitely be a factor.

Quote:
The two can be mutually exclusive. When one supports lawbreakers based on sympathy, I'd say the emotional mind is overriding the rational mind.

so using that logic, one who doesnt support anchor babies as citizens is guilty of using emotion over rationale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 02:04 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,083,263 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
then why say "70-80% against illegals overall" if its just a snapshot of a fluid opinion?
Read the polls for yourself, and no, I'm not going to do your homework for you. The opinion on illegal immigration has not been fluid.

All we have are snapshots. When you can look into the future, you will have a valid point.



Quote:
it should definitely be a factor.
Should standard of living be a factor in other areas as well? Why or why not? Should jobs go to the most needy or the best qualified? Should college scholarships go to the slowest or the brightest?




Quote:
so using that logic, one who doesnt support anchor babies as citizens is guilty of using emotion over rationale.
That's some strange logic you're using. I, for one, don't support anchor babies being citizens because they are used (as pawns) in support of breaking the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 02:17 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 712,985 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Read the polls for yourself, and no, I'm not going to do your homework for you. The opinion on illegal immigration has not been fluid.
can you source this? probably not... i dont know why i even ask...

Quote:
All we have are snapshots. When you can look into the future, you will have a valid point.
nobody predicts the future. they learn from the past.

Quote:
Should standard of living be a factor in other areas as well? Why or why not?
yes, because imbalance is what contributes to immigration quantities, among other things.

Quote:
Should jobs go to the most needy or the best qualified?
both. the ones that need it should be provided with unskilled labor that allows them compensation for fairly basic living standards. the best qualified can seek out jobs that require more training and foreknowledge, and therefore compensate better.

Quote:
Should college scholarships go to the slowest or the brightest?
both. fund as many students as possible. the brightest can go to presitigious schools free, the slowest can go to vocational schools or less prestigious schools for free.

Quote:
That's some strange logic you're using. I, for one, don't support anchor babies being citizens because they are used (as pawns) in support of breaking the law.

source this information, please. i dont see how an unborn baby can be implicated for a crime that they have no control over. it doesnt make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top