U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do pro illegal people ignore the laws?
They think the laws aren't fair 18 51.43%
They don't care about being lawful 3 8.57%
They have a mental illness 3 8.57%
They want to see the US destroyed 11 31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:42 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,223,441 times

Advertisements

Law enforcement across the board makes sense to most folks in this country. What do you think causes some people to loose sight of the law when it comes to the illegal immigration issue? I mean, it's either legal or illegal. Since when do we ignore laws in other areas if we don't agree with them? Aren't we all supposed to obey laws or change them if we don't agree with them? I don't see the argument from the side of pro lawbreaking folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 12:45 PM

14,214 posts, read 7,406,947 times
How about all of the above??

Old 11-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Law enforcement across the board makes sense to most folks in this country. What do you think causes some people to loose sight of the law when it comes to the illegal immigration issue? I mean, it's either legal or illegal. Since when do we ignore laws in other areas if we don't agree with them? Aren't we all supposed to obey laws or change them if we don't agree with them? I don't see the argument from the side of pro lawbreaking folks.
The fact that many laws are not enforced at the time, and laws don't work well in retrospect.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:53 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,061,455 times
IMO, hardheadedness is a symptom of an internal conflict. I don't know if I'd go so far to claim it's a "mental illness," but such a mindset indicates a high degree of emotion rather than reason as the basis for a viewpoint.

We term such viewpoints as extreme, and those who hold them as extremists. Extremists come in all forms, and the most vocal pro-illegal extremists would be classified as "bleeding hearts."

Old 11-05-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
IMO, hardheadedness is a symptom of an internal conflict. I don't know if I'd go so far to claim it's a "mental illness," but such a mindset indicates a high degree of emotion rather than reason as the basis for a viewpoint.

We term such viewpoints as extreme, and those who hold them as extremists. Extremists come in all forms, and the most vocal pro-illegal extremists would be classified as "bleeding hearts."
You have that right, they do come in all forms.

Same extremist argument could reversed upon hard-liner "shoot them on site" anti-illegals.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:03 PM

436 posts, read 575,773 times
The minute you cross into this country illegally, you have ignored the laws. Once here, ignoring the rest of the laws is easy, especially since we reward themfor being here in illegal status

Old 11-05-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
You have that right, they do come in all forms.

Same extremist argument could reversed upon hard-liner "shoot them on site" anti-illegals.
I am anti-illegal, and I assure you I am not an extremist. My argument is based purely on reason; most notably that a free society requires democratic principles, and that a free democratic people have the right to determine for themselves who can and cannot cross their border.

There is no legitimate argument against this position. Indeed, those same bleeding-hearts who advocate illegal immigration are the same people who vocally oppose Wal-Mart attempting to skirt local law in setting up shop. As another contradiction, a bleeding-heart will defend illegal immigration from the position of inflation, and in the same breath, support raising the minimum wage.

Yes, there are extremist anti-illegals out there. Xenophobes, nationalists, racists, etc. Unfortunately for the open-borders crowd, pointing out these hateful groups is not a rebuttal to my argument above.

(There are sensible arguments to be made in favor of illegal immigration. However, no argument can trump the principle of sovereignty. Just as I can deny you access to my property - regardless of how such access may potentially benefit me - we as a nation can deny access to anyone we choose. The decision is ours to make, not that of foreign nationals nor the corporate community.)

Old 11-05-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I am anti-illegal, and I assure you I am not an extremist. My argument is based purely on reason; most notably that a free society requires democratic principles, and that a free democratic people have the right to determine for themselves who can and cannot cross their border.

There is no legitimate argument against this position. Indeed, those same bleeding-hearts who advocate illegal immigration are the same people who vocally oppose Wal-Mart attempting to skirt local law in setting up shop. As another contradiction, a bleeding-heart will defend illegal immigration from the position of inflation, and in the same breath, support raising the minimum wage.

Yes, there are extremist anti-illegals out there. Xenophobes, nationalists, racists, etc. Unfortunately for the open-borders crowd, pointing out these hateful groups is not a rebuttal to my argument above.

(There are sensible arguments to be made in favor of illegal immigration. However, no argument can trump the principle of sovereignty. Just as I can deny you access to my property - regardless of how such access may potentially benefit me - we as a nation can deny access to anyone we choose. The decision is ours to make, not that of foreign nationals nor the corporate community.)
To this point in history, it has not been the peoples decision, it has been government and corporations though. Illegals will be taking the hit, not those in offices though.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
To this point in history, it has not been the peoples decision, it has been government and corporations though. Illegals will be taking the hit, not those in offices though.
I think you'll find that most who oppose illegal immigration blame the government and big business over all.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I think you'll find that most who oppose illegal immigration blame the government and big business over all.
I can't say that I have found this. Most discussion on this topic is simply aimed at the illegal aliens themselves. I hear more cries of "DEPORT" than "LOCK THAT BUSINESS UP". Who do Raids and Racial Profiling target? I have yet to see a business owner being reprimanded as a result of a raid. However, I have sure read a lot of anti-mexican sentiment here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration