Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
That website is also complete bogus, how can you count the exact number of illegals? I mean they can't be counted.. all those numbers from that immigration website is bogus. They don't come out and say "Hey look at me, I'm illegal!". We can only estimate.
Hey Junior - Can you read? Do you know what research methodology is? Why don't you actually READ the links provided which tell you where the information came from, (much of it from the PEW Hispanic Center - a blatantly pro-illegal organization) as well as how the data was collected and calculated to achieve results.

One of the much needed traits I hope that you will acquire with age is the ability to accumulate knowledge and discern what is one person's opinion from scientific research. Unfortunately for you, you seem to be quite impetuous and eager to jump to conclusions without proper analysis.

This website is a "clearing house" for a variety of research studies by numerous impartial sources as well as some sources with the ability to collect data others might have difficulty tracking down. There is nothing "bogus" about this website.

Literacy is a beautiful thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
That website is also complete bogus, how can you count the exact number of illegals? I mean they can't be counted.. all those numbers from that immigration website is bogus. They don't come out and say "Hey look at me, I'm illegal!". We can only estimate.
Well, since they don't step out and say "Hey, look at me, I'm illegal," then we have to "estimate." Do you have any better ideas than to say we "can't do this, and we can't do that?" They are estimates, but estimates are mostly what we have to go on since these people hide in the shadows.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:07 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Hey Junior - Can you read? Do you know what research methodology is? Why don't you actually READ the links provided which tell you where the information came from, (much of it from the PEW Hispanic Center - a blatantly pro-illegal organization) as well as how the data was collected and calculated to achieve results.

One of the much needed traits I hope that you will acquire with age is the ability to accumulate knowledge and discern what is one person's opinion from scientific research. Unfortunately for you, you seem to be quite impetuous and eager to jump to conclusions without proper analysis.

This website is a "clearing house" for a variety of research studies by numerous impartial sources as well as some sources with the ability to collect data others might have difficulty tracking down. There is nothing "bogus" about this website.

Literacy is a beautiful thing.
You really think that that counter counts illegals one by one?

Last edited by ProLogic; 11-05-2007 at 05:18 PM..

Old 11-05-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
You really think that that counter counts illegals one by one? Wait a minute.. thats not the website with the counters.. I thought that was the one since it has a similar name.
It is one and the same--and yes, it does have a counter--those figures are have been calculated using a base number, multiplied by known factors provided by the INS and the Pew Hispanic Center, among others.

The Census Bureau did develop some estimates of their own. Their estimates at the time of the 2000 Census indicated that the illegal immigration population was about 8 million. Using this number, it can be reasonably estimated that the illegal-alien population grew by about half a million a year in the 1990s. This estimate is derived from a draft report given to the House Immigration Subcommittee by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) that estimated the illegal population was 3.5 million in 1990. For the illegal population to have reached 8 million by 2000, the net increase had to be 400,000 to 500,000 per year during the 1990's. The Census Bureau currently estimates a net increase of 500,000 illegal immigrants annually and a current population of about 10.5 million. This number represents one of the lower estimates and is disputed by many in the industry.

In a document by The Pew Hispanic Center, “Estimates of the Size and Characteristics of the Undocumented Population“, March 2005. They estimated about 11.1 million illegal aliens the previous year and 11.5 to 12 million as of March 2006. The March 2006 estimate found that illegal immigrants have a total of about 3.1 million children who were born in the U.S, and are now U.S. citizens, other sources place this number at 5 million. The report is provided here: Pew Hispanic Center Report: Estimates of the Size and Characteristics of the Undocumented Population

On the high end of the spectrum are some private groups that randomly select single sources of data, such as an interview with a border patrol agent or with one elected official. Those sources have placed the numbers around 30 million. Until more data is provided, ImmigrationCounters.com does not yet side with the 30 million figure, yet notes that it may indeed be that high.

ImmigrationCounters.com subscribes to estimates from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) of 700,000 per year who enter illegally (includes children) or are visa overstay fugitives. The Pew Hispanic Center estimates 700,000-800,000 per year. We also side with an independent report from Bear Stearns, “The Underground Labor Force Is Rising To The Surface," January 3, 2005. This report estimates the number to be around 20 million based on ancillary sources of data that provide evidence the rate of growth is much greater than the Census Bureau estimated.

More studies can be found here: Illegal Immigration Counters - Data Source

I'll say it to you again, son.

READ! There's a world of knowledge out there but you aren't going to absorb it by osmosis. When I provide you with a link, you can bet that I have done my research. Now why don't you do yours?

Old 11-05-2007, 05:25 PM

Oh I do, but I don't have as much time on my hands as some of you guys. I try to balance a life and school.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Oh I do, but I don't have as much time on my hands as some of you guys. I try to balance a life and school.
I'm taking 16 credit hours (that's 5 classes) at a top-notch four year university. I am a single mother with a ten year old son. Now tell me how much spare time I have....

Knowledge does not come without a price. You want it--you have to work for it.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I'm taking 16 credit hours (that's 5 classes) at a top-notch four year university. I am a single mother with a ten year old son. Now tell me how much spare time I have....

Man.. go study then!

Old 11-05-2007, 06:03 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
You really think that that counter counts illegals one by one?
Of course it does Pro......everytime one steps across the border from any country the sensors pick em up and trip the counter......and BOY are they runnin in fast.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Man.. go study then!
Well, apparently one of us already is....

Old 11-05-2007, 06:49 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:

Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration