U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 AM

11,435 posts, read 15,946,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
We all need to ask ourselves a few questions; is this racially motivated? To what to degree should amnesty be permitted? And what are the true benefits to this for us?

I have no problems against the main race coming over here, Mexicans, they are extremely hard workers but nonethless not every Mexican is the ideal citizen for our country. Not because of their skin color, but more because they could be connected with the ongoing drug war in Mexico. I would rather have a wave of highly-skilled Mexicans, Europeans, Africans, or Etc come here illegally versuses someone who is only going to cost us a lot of money, jobs, and etc while feeling entitled to the same things as someone who has been paying taxes for life. Am I ignorant for saying this? Maybe so, but I believe what I'm saying should reflect all Americans thoughts. We need the Mexicans who are already creating businesses here, who are educated, and won't cost us much.
Why on earth would you want the highly skilled to come and take OUR American jobs? When those countries make it OK for us to go take THEIR jobs in THEIR countries, I might feel differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
If a low skilled illegal immigrant who doesn't speak the language gets hired before you do, then you have bigger problems than illegal immigrants.
Tell that to all the construction workers who were lowballed out of their trades. tell that to the people forced from landscaping jobs by people willing to do it for half.
I agree if it is an upper end job. The fact is that most illegals take the low end jobs by doing it for a lot less. They can afford to when they don't have to pay taxes, have insurance and back a warranty.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:03 AM

9,427 posts, read 5,523,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Tell that to all the construction workers who were lowballed out of their trades. tell that to the people forced from landscaping jobs by people willing to do it for half.
I agree if it is an upper end job. The fact is that most illegals take the low end jobs by doing it for a lot less. They can afford to when they don't have to pay taxes, have insurance and back a warranty.

You wont get an answer back. Don and other them are Idealogues, They dont care about reason logic facts or cause and effect, only opinion and emtion and anything else is hersay.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:41 AM

31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
It's happening all over the construction industry here. The illegals work cheap, under the table, and the contractor gets away with not paying taxes or Worker's Compensation insurance. One foreman will speak English and Spanish and translate what the boss wants. My cousin's income has dropped to a third because of this.

I have to laugh every time a pro-illegal makes the claim that the American worker is the problem. Like they are somehow inferior and that is why illegals are being hired over them. Anyone with half a brain knows the only reason that illegals are being hired over citizens is because they work cheaper not because they are superior to an American in any way. These greedy employers don't care if they can't speak English they are just looking for cheap, grunt labor to line their pockets with more profit.

You are correct especially about the construction industry. A whole crew of Spanish speaking illegals gets hired along with a Spanish speaking foreman and an English speaking American worker is discriminated against in that way also. The employer doesn't even care if they are unskilled and can't produce quality work. It's all about increasing their bottom line, period. But the spin and lies continue by the pro-illegals about Americans being inferior workers anyway. It gets tiresome after a while and is blatantly dishonest.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:56 AM

2,869 posts, read 2,712,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The difference is that Reagan thought only 300,000 would be amnestied when 3 million came forward. He lived to regret signing that amnesty because our borders were never secured as promised. Today we have at the very minimum quadruple that number here and we have 23 million Americans out of work. See the difference? In a sense our country did end with that first amnesty because it only encouraged many more millions to come here illegally. The damage has been done. The only thing that would fix it is to deport them. Promising them amnesty is the worse thing we can do.

As for conservatives admiring Reagan it certainly didn't have anything to do with the issue of illegal immigration. Illegal immigration certainly isn't the only political issue there was or is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
Of course it will change America simply because it will tip the melting pot we call America. First the real number of illegals will probably is probably closer to 30 million vs 11. Considering the majority are Hispanic and then they can bring their families, we are looking at 50 million or more of a single ethnic group. Will it change America, of course. I just hope rooster/dog fighting doesn't become entertainment and that sex with children is still against the law.
These. America will absolutely implode. I really hope it does, too. Then when groups of people decide they don't want to partake in the cancerous oppressive actions of the federal government, they may be able to.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:22 PM

20,894 posts, read 22,678,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
It's happening all over the construction industry here. The illegals work cheap, under the table, and the contractor gets away with not paying taxes or Worker's Compensation insurance. One foreman will speak English and Spanish and translate what the boss wants. My cousin's income has dropped to a third because of this.
On SI its nearly impossible to get enough laborers to show up consistently at 7am during the Spring and Summer months when they are actually needed. There is no unlimited ceiling on pay to build a house for any tradesman on the site. Most senior contractors will try to get enough laborers for the season and most will be forced to go and hire illegals because there is no choice. SI has nearly always been non-union jobs. Its the norm now as it was 50 years ago. People want houses and they are willing to pay so much before going to another builder. Its easy to get a crew of 2-4, but try for 10-12 daily and its another story.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:00 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
On SI its nearly impossible to get enough laborers to show up consistently at 7am during the Spring and Summer months when they are actually needed. There is no unlimited ceiling on pay to build a house for any tradesman on the site. Most senior contractors will try to get enough laborers for the season and most will be forced to go and hire illegals because there is no choice. SI has nearly always been non-union jobs. Its the norm now as it was 50 years ago. People want houses and they are willing to pay so much before going to another builder. Its easy to get a crew of 2-4, but try for 10-12 daily and its another story.
That I find hard to believe. Tho places that cost lots of money to live in ARE losing their blue collar workers. A good plumber, mason, auto mechanic and so on can work ANYWHERE in the US so there's NO reason to struggle paycheck to paycheck in places like NYC, Cali, DC and so on.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:15 PM

9,427 posts, read 5,523,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That I find hard to believe. Tho places that cost lots of money to live in ARE losing their blue collar workers. A good plumber, mason, auto mechanic and so on can work ANYWHERE in the US so there's NO reason to struggle paycheck to paycheck in places like NYC, Cali, DC and so on.
Have you seen the state, and city taxes in those liberal cities?

Old 07-09-2013, 03:45 AM

20,894 posts, read 22,678,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
You need to read the topics in the sub-forums of New York of NYC & Long Island. The Tradesman that make excellent money are Union, but they are limited to union jobs and thus have to go where union employees are hired (which is not Staten Island). If you go to many of the work sites, the pickups have out of state plates. To get to a Staten Island worksite you must have a vehicle (usually a car/truck).

Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 AM

31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Who do you think were in the building trades before the arrival of cheap, illegal labor? It has nothing to do with not being able to find American construction workers but the employers being able to hire cheap, illegal labor to increase their profits. Before the housing bust illegals were in those trades and homes were sky high in price so where was the savings to the home buyer? I know a whole tract of homes that were build shoddily by illegal labor and I imagine there are plenty more of them. At any rate no employer has the right to break the law to supposedly survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration