U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:58 PM

217 posts, read 253,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
And here ladies and gentlemen, is everything that is wrong with SoCal.

This is LA, people do it all the time and no one cares. We all want to save few bucks, right ?

Old 06-16-2013, 11:11 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,468,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
My parents emigrated to this country LEGALLY. They've since added countless tax dollars into bettering this country and countless time and effort into helping their neighbors and community. I've done the same. Never have any of us been on welfare of any kind. Never have any of us taken any kind of handout from the state. I'd say you're damn lucky to have Americans like us. So, you're welcome..
Once again all you demonstrate is that you've done nothing particular to earn your own citizenship. You were just lucky enough to be born here. You pay taxes? Big deal -- so do illegals, and they don't get to collect on the benefit programs they pay into because they are undocumented ... which means when you collect your Social Security you will be living in part on their on their contribution. You have contributed to your community? In what ways? And what makes you think illegals don't contribute to the community? Their earnings recirculate just like yours do. They participate in community functions just like you do.

Damn lucky to have Americans like you? How so? What have you done for America that is beyond what anyone here does? I am a disabled war veteran who has volunteered extensively for years to assist other veterans and members of various disabled communities. I take nothing for myself. Tell us about your contributions to your country and community.

Last edited by nullgeo; 06-16-2013 at 11:22 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 11:27 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,468,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
You're welcome to post that proof. I won't hold my breath, though. As an American kid entering working age, are you going to head into the fields where you're a complete outsider, or are you going to head to the local fast food place where the manager at least speaks English? Americans WOULD work farm jobs if given the proper opportunity. This country survived just fine with their farming needs before the illegals started spilling over. Problem is a normal American worker eager to work in the fields will be received about as kindly there as an illegal would applying for an accounting job at Goldman Sachs
No, Americans won't work in the fields ... and they did not always before the Mexicans ... before the Mexicans it was the Japanese, until WWII put them in camps ... you really should learn American history if you are going to brag about what a great citizen you are ...

You make this too easy. Take your pick. The available list is endless though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/05/us...abor.html?_r=0

Georgia immigrant crackdown backfires - Reid J. Epstein - POLITICO.com

Why Americans Won't Do Dirty Jobs - Businessweek

After Alabama Immigration Law, Few Americans Taking Immigrants' Work

We’re running out of farm workers. Immigration reform won’t help.

Why An Immigration Deal Won't Solve The Farmworker Shortage : The Salt : NPR

Old 06-16-2013, 11:54 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,185,983 times
It's pretty simple. Illegals subsidize a lifestyle would could not afford otherwise.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:38 AM

199 posts, read 293,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Once again all you demonstrate is that you've done nothing particular to earn your own citizenship. Being a good citizen IS earning it. Unlike the anchor babies that are leeching the coffers dry, I actually support the system with my hard work. THAT is what earns me my citizenship. Your argument fails. You were just lucky enough to be born here. No, I was lucky enough to have parents who EARNED me my citizenship by going through the proper channels and respecting this country's laws and customs. They didn't STEAL it. Next. You pay taxes? Big deal -- so do illegals, and they don't get to collect on the benefit programs they pay into because they are undocumented LOL. That's like saying "You have to work at the bank? So does the guy that's coming to rob it, and he doesn't even get a lunch break!"... which means when you collect your Social Security you will be living in part on their on their contribution. You mean the $50 a month I'll be getting when all the anchor babies have leeched the system dry? Thank you illegals for paying my monthly cable bill. So kind of them. And all I have to do is house and feed their American citizen children. Great tradeoff!

Damn lucky to have Americans like you? How so? What have you done for America that is beyond what anyone here does? What I DON'T do is violate this country's laws and have children that will be a burden to others. Can illegals say the same? I am a disabled war veteran who has volunteered extensively for years to assist other veterans and members of various disabled communities. I take nothing for myself. Tell us about your contributions to your country and community. That's all well and good and honorable but for every one of you there are a handful of mooches and criminals who ruin the city/state/country. It's a numbers game. There are plenty of illegals who are great folks and have a lot more worth to society than your typical American, but for every one of them there are a bunch more who are lazy, shifty, morally bankrupt, and unwilling to assimilate. The people coming here wanting to work and contribute aren't the problem. It's their offspring who grow up without guidance and end up being thugs on the street or fat, useless lumps of flesh standing in a welfare line instead of productive citizens. How do you fight that? By not giving these anchor babies citizenship. If they want it let them earn it through the proper channels and show that they're of value to this country instead of just being a cancer.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:05 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,322,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane4madonna View Post
What law ? care to explain ?
Id rather hire an ilegal inmigrant (i do it all the time) to do work around my house than a lazy american. The ilegal works harder and dont charge you as much as an legal citizen.
Immigration law and my country's sovereignty. You and those like you are part of the problem and clearly have no respect for my country, much less any knowledge of the law. I guess ignorance is bliss, huh?

By the way, where I now live, yard work, handyman chores, construction, etc. is done by citizens of my country, not illegals. Sorry about where you live!

Old 06-17-2013, 06:47 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,893,694 times
OK, so let's review:

1) America is the greatest country on earth.

2) America has the largest and strongest military on earth.

3) America has the most advanced technology on earth.

4) American intelligence services have the ability to spy on the entire world and their own citizens.

5) America cannot stop poor, illiterate Mexicans from crossing its border.

Now, everybody sing along: "One of these things is not like the other...."

Now, let's all pull our heads out of the sand, dust ourselves off and face the truth.

Illegal immigration benefits all of those that hire the illegal immigrants, from the homeowner looking for cheap labor to the farm owner looking for cheap labor to the large corporation looking for cheap labor.
That is why illegal immigration still exists. It's the same reason drugs are still smuggled into this country: DEMAND.

Whatever the consequences of having all those illegal immigrants, the folks in charge have decided that you and I should suffer them for the greater good. If this country wanted to stop illegal immigration, it would. So, at least, let's stop blaming the people that are actually being taken advantage of and being used, and place the blame where it actually belongs:

Anyone who has ever hired an illegal immigrant to do a job so they could save a few bucks.

Blaming the immigrants for not being legal when the opportunity for them to be so doesn't exist is really............ American?

Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 AM

24,149 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
Yes, I don't get how folks in LA don't seem to understand that the social and economic cost beyond cheap labor is immense. People with money don't care, but the working and lower-classes (who have to live in these rapidly changing neighborhoods) have no power to stop the influx or deal with the problems of illegal immigration in SoCal.

My neighborhood is about 25% illegal Latino and Asian immigrants. They don't speak to anyone, they don't help out anyone else, and the most important thing is that they don't call the police or show any civic virtue at all when there are issues in the area. Me and a few other neighbors call the police for drug activity, we also report illegal dumping and other problems. They (the illegals) just sneak around trying to keep a low profile, pretending that there's nothing wrong.

If the middle class and rich of LA had to live next to these people they'd immediately call for increased border security and doing everything they can to reverse the sanctuary status of SoCal.

EDG

In my opinion this is a huge problem. But as you pointed out, it's not a problem that the rich of upper middle class (whatever that means) understand. A HUGE reason that these neighborhoods are going downhill or are downhill is because so many of the citizens don't want to report issues. This means more illegal dumping, more graffiti, more illegal signage, more shady businesses, more drug dealing,...you get the point.

This leads to a 'wild wild west' type of environment where 'anything goes' and things that would never fly in other areas are the norm.
It's a sad situation.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:10 PM

3,055 posts, read 4,350,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane4madonna View Post
What law ? care to explain ?
Id rather hire an ilegal inmigrant (i do it all the time) to do work around my house than a lazy american. The ilegal works harder and dont charge you as much as an legal citizen.
That's just insulting, especially coming from an self-described immigrant as yourself. I live in a part of California much less impacted by illegal immigration, so its almost a given anyone I hire will either be legal or a US citizen. My yard guy is an American and does excellent work. The maintenance guy I hire is an American and does excellent work. Neither charges what I feel is an excessive amount and both are licensed and insured. The maintenance man lives in my neighborhood and I know that the fees I pay for his services help support a family that I'm glad to have down the street. As others have said, folks like you are a big part of the problem where illegal immigration and the downward pressure it puts on the working class wages is concerned.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:02 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,561,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
In my opinion this is a huge problem. But as you pointed out, it's not a problem that the rich of upper middle class (whatever that means) understand. A HUGE reason that these neighborhoods are going downhill or are downhill is because so many of the citizens don't want to report issues. This means more illegal dumping, more graffiti, more illegal signage, more shady businesses, more drug dealing,...you get the point.

This leads to a 'wild wild west' type of environment where 'anything goes' and things that would never fly in other areas are the norm.
It's a sad situation.
These are some legit downsides about illegal immigrants. Also if you get in an accident with someone who is illegally here, they chances of a hit-and-run are higher, because they are uninsured and will get in a ton of trouble. I'm from a city that has high number of illegal immigrants, so I have definitely seen first-hand the influences of illegal immigration.

Moderator cut: personal

Last edited by Yac; 06-19-2013 at 01:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration