U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 AM

7,150 posts, read 8,510,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Ever heard of the book and movie, "The Grapes of Wrath"? My father picked cotton when he was a boy. My opthalmologist picked strawberries in Ohio. ONLY about 2% of the illegals will pick the crops. Most of them take construction, landscaping and maid jobs. These are jobs that used to be done by americans. Ever heard of the maid "Hazel" from the TV series?

Originally Posted by quixotic59
Yes, context.

I would be very interested to know the amount of taxpayer money used for firefighting, flood prevention, and rebuilding subsidies for wealthy residents of Malibu. These people were warned not to build or live in these areas, refuse to pay a greater share of taxes but demand taxpayer support. Throughout the history of LA they have been able to increase the size and value of their homes with the use of government subsidies when rebuilding.
Is that not a waste of taxpayer money? If that is the reason for this thread.
Given a choice between spending my tax dollars to bail out banks, start unnecessary wars or feed children, I'm going with the hungry children.

I'd rather it go to AMERICAN children who have a right to be here. We could use some of that money to enhance our faltering library system here in LA Cty and other institutions that we rely on.

Originally Posted by insane4madonna
This is LA, people do it all the time and no one cares. We all want to save few bucks, right ?

Except when it comes to spending $300/month for a gym membership at Equinox and $500 for a ticket to see Madonna

Originally Posted by tonygeorgia
Study Claims Children of Undocumented Immigrants Cost LA County $54 Million a Month | KTLA 5
They just mentioned this on "John & Ken" today (KFI 640). It's pretty eye-opening. They also said that LA CTy is exasperated that MORE ppl don't apply for food stamps!! Currently, supposedly only 50% of those eligible are receiving the aid, representing 1 million cty residents.
I never said all illegals pick crops. Or even that most of them do. I merely responded to those comments made by Mashi, who made baseless accusations using that example.

Americans have done field work -- but they don't anymore. Don't blame me, I didn't have a damn thing to do with their change of heart. But note that Americans still work minimum wage jobs all over the country which pay less than field work ... and they are welcome to work for the higher pay in the fields -- but they refuse.

Any job taken by an illegal is still available to an American. If wealthy Americans choose to hire cheaper, undocumented labor rather than respect the American worker and wage levels for our cultural lifestyles -- well, there's your problem: wealthy American employers.

But anyway, this thread isn't about "illegals", is it? It's about American citizens: American-born children, according to your national Constitution, receiving benefits to which citizens are entitled by rights and law. Don't like it, amend the Constitution and change the law.

You write you'd "rather it go to AMERICAN children who have a right to be here." I remind you again, these are American children, by Constitutional law ... don't like it? Change it. Legally.

As for Food Stamps -- apparently you don't know that the Food Stamp program is not welfare? It is an agricultural subsidy program to benefit American farmers ... that is not its secret, unspoken essence ... the program is run by the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture -- yes, to benefit farmers. Literally.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:32 AM

11,435 posts, read 16,015,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I never said all illegals pick crops. Or even that most of them do. I merely responded to those comments made by Mashi, who made baseless accusations using that example.

Americans have done field work -- but they don't anymore. Don't blame me, I didn't have a damn thing to do with their change of heart. But note that Americans still work minimum wage jobs all over the country which pay less than field work ... and they are welcome to work for the higher pay in the fields -- but they refuse.

Any job taken by an illegal is still available to an American. If wealthy Americans choose to hire cheaper, undocumented labor rather than respect the American worker and wage levels for our cultural lifestyles -- well, there's your problem: wealthy American employers.

But anyway, this thread isn't about "illegals", is it? It's about American citizens: American-born children, according to your national Constitution, receiving benefits to which citizens are entitled by rights and law. Don't like it, amend the Constitution and change the law.

You write you'd "rather it go to AMERICAN children who have a right to be here." I remind you again, these are American children, by Constitutional law ... don't like it? Change it. Legally.

As for Food Stamps -- apparently you don't know that the Food Stamp program is not welfare? It is an agricultural subsidy program to benefit American farmers ... that is not its secret, unspoken essence ... the program is run by the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture -- yes, to benefit farmers. Literally.
If it's for the benefit of farmers, then why not just give it to ANYONE who asks for the food stamps?

Old 06-18-2013, 02:23 AM

Quote:
If it's for the benefit of farmers, then why not just give it to ANYONE who asks for the food stamps?
Educate yourself. Look it up. Learn. At various times it was to encourage the purchase of surplus farm productivity of fresh produce, other times of wheat -- while aiding the poor at the same time. Learn about what you complain about.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,907,102 times
Quote:
Ever heard of the book and movie, "The Grapes of Wrath"? My father picked cotton when he was a boy. My opthalmologist picked strawberries in Ohio. ONLY about 2% of the illegals will pick the crops. Most of them take construction, landscaping and maid jobs. These are jobs that used to be done by americans. Ever heard of the maid "Hazel" from the TV series?

Originally Posted by quixotic59
Yes, context.

I would be very interested to know the amount of taxpayer money used for firefighting, flood prevention, and rebuilding subsidies for wealthy residents of Malibu. These people were warned not to build or live in these areas, refuse to pay a greater share of taxes but demand taxpayer support. Throughout the history of LA they have been able to increase the size and value of their homes with the use of government subsidies when rebuilding.
Is that not a waste of taxpayer money? If that is the reason for this thread.
Given a choice between spending my tax dollars to bail out banks, start unnecessary wars or feed children, I'm going with the hungry children.

I'd rather it go to AMERICAN children who have a right to be here. We could use some of that money to enhance our faltering library system here in LA Cty and other institutions that we rely on.

Originally Posted by insane4madonna
This is LA, people do it all the time and no one cares. We all want to save few bucks, right ?

Except when it comes to spending $300/month for a gym membership at Equinox and $500 for a ticket to see Madonna

Originally Posted by tonygeorgia
Study Claims Children of Undocumented Immigrants Cost LA County $54 Million a Month | KTLA 5
They just mentioned this on "John & Ken" today (KFI 640). It's pretty eye-opening. They also said that LA CTy is exasperated that MORE ppl don't apply for food stamps!! Currently, supposedly only 50% of those eligible are receiving the aid, representing 1 million cty residents.
Never specified any particular set of children and you have an excellent point regarding libraries. I believe that the real issue is not the money going to illegal immigrants but rather the amount of taxpayer money misappropriated by American citizens and businesses.
We could easily shut our borders if we wanted to but that would not stop the rest of the waste, which i believe is greater (meaning billions of dollars).

Old 06-18-2013, 07:27 AM

442 posts, read 666,128 times
Quote:
The vast majority of "them" have been going back since the recession hit (you need to keep up on your current events)
The vast majority?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
The vast majority?
The previously ever increasing annual number of illegals coming to the U.S. has reversed. As of last year we have experienced a "net zero" illegal immigration from Mexico. Between strongly lower opportunity during the recession here, plus improving economy in their homeland, the trend is to continue losing the illegal population.

Quote:
And they aren't just home for a visit: One prominent sociologist in the US has counted "net zero" migration for the first time since the 1960s.
Home again in Mexico: Illegal immigration hits net zero - CSMonitor.com
Quote:
"There was a suspicion that people were going back" but results of the Mexican census confirmed it, he says. "They point to a fairly large number of people going back to Mexico."

From 2005 to 2010, 1.4 million Mexicans came to the USA— down by more than half from the 3 million who came from 1995 to 2000. From 2005 to 2010 , the number of Mexicans who moved from the USA to Mexico rose to 1.4 million, roughly double the number who had done so 10 years before.
More Mexicans returning home, fewer immigrating to U.S.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:56 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,719,788 times
Quote:
Federal law says otherwise ... you know, the same federal legal system that protects your rights ... and protected the immigration and rights of your forefathers? Yeah, that system.
It's not Federal Law, it is Federal Policy in regards to citizenship by birth.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:58 AM

32,022 posts, read 14,777,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
OK, so let's review:

1) America is the greatest country on earth.

2) America has the largest and strongest military on earth.

3) America has the most advanced technology on earth.

4) American intelligence services have the ability to spy on the entire world and their own citizens.

5) America cannot stop poor, illiterate Mexicans from crossing its border.

Now, everybody sing along: "One of these things is not like the other...."

Now, let's all pull our heads out of the sand, dust ourselves off and face the truth.

Illegal immigration benefits all of those that hire the illegal immigrants, from the homeowner looking for cheap labor to the farm owner looking for cheap labor to the large corporation looking for cheap labor.
That is why illegal immigration still exists. It's the same reason drugs are still smuggled into this country: DEMAND.

Whatever the consequences of having all those illegal immigrants, the folks in charge have decided that you and I should suffer them for the greater good. If this country wanted to stop illegal immigration, it would. So, at least, let's stop blaming the people that are actually being taken advantage of and being used, and place the blame where it actually belongs:

Anyone who has ever hired an illegal immigrant to do a job so they could save a few bucks.

Blaming the immigrants for not being legal when the opportunity for them to be so doesn't exist is really............ American?
When one adds their social costs to the so-called savings of illegal labor they are no bargain to regular Americans. We have legal immigration quotas for good reasons. That's why not every impoverished person gets to come here just because they want to. It would and does negatively impact the majority of our own citizen's job opportunities and taxes.

It isn't that this country doesn't want to stop illegal immigration it is our vote seeking politicans and their greedy corporate masters. The rest of us want our immigration laws respected and enforced. There is no greater good to illegal immigration for most of us.

Last edited by Oldglory; 06-18-2013 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: deleted word

Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
2. The vast majority of "them" have been going back since the recession hit (you need to keep up on your current events)
You might want to re-think this claim as the "vast majority" have in fact gone nowhere.

Quote:
5. Idiots reacting to emotion instead of reason" sounds suspiciously like RWNJ, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh listener tea-party members ... you should check that profile.
Can the same be said of someone who exaggerates their claim; see #2 above.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
A big fat yawn @ the bigoted scapegoating rants.

There isn't an economist alive who believes that illegals are a detriment to the economy. They earn wages in fields that few citizens desire to work in, and recirculate their wages back into the economy (rent, gas, electricity, goods). They even pay taxes on services they do not personally qualify for--like social security. It is estimated that undocumented workers have contributed as much as 10% of the $2.7 trillion SS Trust Fund. Overall they are a benefit to the economy.

As for their kids--they're U.S. born citizens. The constitution says so. Get over it.
Actually almost every economist says they are a detrminet to the economy, I'll give 2 from each end of the spectrum; Borjas and Krugman.

They do qualify for SS. They also receive more in services then they contribute, your intellectual dishonesty in only giving a couple examples that would benefit your claim, is your downfall. Again try reading economist full reports in regards to illegals instead of someones interpretation of some of the facts the economist says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration