U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:57 PM

18,946 posts, read 21,936,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Unlike immigration waves of the past, we are not receiving many of the best and the brightest from various countries, the explorers and the innovators--we are receiving the flotsam and jetsam that Mexico's corrupt government cannot be bothered to assist.
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

Obviously this no longer applies, eh?

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 03:00 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
LordB......the last rep that I gave you...was supposed to be a positive one......my heartfelt apologies

Old 11-07-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
LordB......the last rep that I gave you...was supposed to be a positive one......my heartfelt apologies
No problem.

Ken

PS - Thanks!

Old 11-07-2007, 03:04 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,965,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

Obviously this no longer applies, eh? - at least not for the poor.

Ken

Actually, no, it doesn't apply anymore. Not in the land of welfare and social services. We've kind of "moved on" from the guilded age, where capitalism reigned supreme and without encumbrance. Where 7 families to a tenament apartment was no big deal. Where people either could afford healthcare, or they died. Where we didn't care if a family starved to death, and we certainly didn't care about the working conditions, wages, or "the middle class." Universal education for children? Not a chance.

I don't know why people insist on comparing immigration "back then" to immigration "now." As if nothing has changed - the country, the economy, globalization. Nope! It's still 1900 for some people. Come one, come all, bring the kids and send them to work in a pencil factory.

As much as I hate to admit it, Lady Liberty no longer speaks for me in THAT regard. That message she sends is kind of out-dated, and pretty much now stands for freedom rather than the welcome mat for the world's poor.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Actually, no, it doesn't apply anymore. Not in the land of welfare and social services. We've kind of "moved on" from the guilded age, where capitalism reigned supreme and without encumbrance. Where 7 families to a tenament apartment was no big deal. Where people either could afford healthcare, or they died. Where we didn't care if a family starved to death, and we certainly didn't care about the working conditions, wages, or "the middle class." Universal education for children? Not a chance.

I don't know why people insist on comparing immigration "back then" to immigration "now." As if nothing has changed - the country, the economy, globalization. Nope! It's still 1900 for some people. Come one, come all, bring the kids and send them to work in a pencil factory.

As much as I hate to admit it, Lady Liberty no longer speaks for me in THAT regard. That message she sends is kind of out-dated, and pretty much now stands for freedom rather than the welcome mat for the world's poor.
Sadly, based on much of what I see here, I suspect you are right.

Good post actually - even if I don't agree with you that much.

Ken

Old 11-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

So should America remove the Colossus from Lady Liberty then? It kind of gives the wrong message.

How about a "No Vacancy" sign on her?

Old 11-07-2007, 03:27 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

Obviously this no longer applies, eh?

Ken
How many huddled masses do you think this country can hold? How many tired and poor are the American citizens in this country expected to support with their tax dollars at the expense of their fellow citizens who need their assistance just as much if not more than someone from another country?

Did you know that in America, more American children live below the poverty level than in any other industrialized country in the world?

And if your motives are a truly altruistic as you would have us believe, that compassion is what motivates you then I want you to explain to me what entitles Mexico's people to our compassion over the rest of the world's poor? Its proximity to our southern border?

I have a real problem with those who state that this is all about human compassion, loving thy neighbor, blah diddy blah diddy blah. Today in Africa, approximately 2,500 children died. Tomorrow another 2,500 will die. The day after that another 2,500 children will die. Every day of every week of every year. They will from starvation and from a lack of clean water, and from the diseases which are brought on by both.

There is no doubt that many of Mexico's people are poor. But there is poor and there is abject, without hope, destined to die, poverty. If human compassion is indeed the motivation behind illegal immigration (which we all know that it is not--it is the enslavement of an entire geo-political class of people for corporate benefit) then surely there must be a yardstick by which we measure need.

Why should the United States continue to receive unchecked, all of Mexico's poor and uneducated? If poor and uneducated people are what you are looking to import into the United States in the name of human compassion, then I suggest that we begin importing our illegal aliens from the following fifty poorest countries in the world. Please note that Mexico doesn't even make the top 50:

Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, East Timor, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.

If human compassion is your motivation, then people from these fifty countries should be priority. I guarantee that they will be much more grateful for the opportunity to "improve" their lives than our current crop of illegals, and I'm sure that they will be just as easy to exploit for slave wages as Mexico's people are, so no loss to big business either.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM

I just think people are blind if you think the American "SuperPower" government has been allowing illegals in from SOB with nothing in return or out of compassion...

Americans do things for money, this government does things for money and resources.

You don't think for maybe a second, Mexico being #4 on Imported Oil has something to do with this all? Maybe your government is not telling you everything you need to know.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:35 PM

Actually make that #3:

CANADA 1,950 1,797 1,853 1,862 1,780
SAUDI ARABIA 1,468 1,434 1,427 1,477 1,409
MEXICO 1,381 1,469 1,448 1,667 1,663

Crude Oil and Total Petroleum Imports Top 15 Countries

It is Mexico that has us in their pocket.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
How many huddled masses do you think this country can hold? How many tired and poor are the American citizens in this country expected to support with their tax dollars at the expense of their fellow citizens who need their assistance just as much if not more than someone from another country?

Did you know that in America, more American children live below the poverty level than in any other industrialized country in the world?

And if your motives are a truly altruistic as you would have us believe, that compassion is what motivates you then I want you to explain to me what entitles Mexico's people to our compassion over the rest of the world's poor? Its proximity to our southern border?

I have a real problem with those who state that this is all about human compassion, loving thy neighbor, blah diddy blah diddy blah. Today in Africa, approximately 2,500 children died. Tomorrow another 2,500 will die. The day after that another 2,500 children will die. Every day of every week of every year. They will from starvation and from a lack of clean water, and from the diseases which are brought on by both.

There is no doubt that many of Mexico's people are poor. But there is poor and there is abject, without hope, destined to die, poverty. If human compassion is indeed the motivation behind illegal immigration (which we all know that it is not--it is the enslavement of an entire geo-political class of people for corporate benefit) then surely there must be a yardstick by which we measure need.

Why should the United States continue to receive unchecked, all of Mexico's poor and uneducated? If poor and uneducated people are what you are looking to import into the United States in the name of human compassion, then I suggest that we begin importing our illegal aliens from the following fifty poorest countries in the world. Please note that Mexico doesn't even make the top 50:

Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, East Timor, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.

If human compassion is your motivation, then people from these fifty countries should be priority. I guarantee that they will be much more grateful for the opportunity to "improve" their lives than our current crop of illegals, and I'm sure that they will be just as easy to exploit for slave wages as Mexico's people are, so no loss to big business either.
Yup. No welcome mat here.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along. Move along.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or