U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:25 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,005,685 times

Advertisements

If it means we could shut down our borders I'd pack up lady liberty and ship it back to France myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 04:40 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,969,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
So should America remove the Colossus from Lady Liberty then? It kind of gives the wrong message.

How about a "No Vacancy" sign on her?
The problem isn't that there isn't a vacancy. It's about filling the hotel in excess of capacity, and occupying rooms without first going to the front desk to ask permission.

Besides, when asked what the Statue of LIBERTY stands for, I doubt most people will say, "Welcoming Illegal immigrants."

The statute of liberty, after all, is quite close to Ellis Island.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:08 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,042,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Again, what did your article have to do with the folks crossing the border? The article wasn't about criminals committing rapes, but about corrupt authorities preventing rape victims from gettig the care they need. It's not those authorities that are crossing the border - it's people that are tired of the lack of opportunity (and the very corruption the article mentions) that are coming here. Heck, such situations can be construed as grounds for political asylum so your post sure doesn't help your cause. There are many legitimate arguments on why the borders need to be tightened down, but your post isn't one of them.

I didn't put any words into your mouth, I've just pointed out that your post was completely irrevelent to the issue at hand - that is that illegal aliens are often taken advantage of by us "morally superior" Americans. Bad people looking to take advantage of others who are weaker are everywhere - even in the US (most of them actually BORN here), even right here on this board.

Ken

PS - If you really want to stop illegal immigration, quit going after the immigrants and start going after the businesses that hire them. It's far cheaper and far more effective. Illegal immigration occurs because it is good business for business. They get cheaper labor, they fudge (or sometimes even ignore completely) labor laws that were put in place to protect workers' rights (even yours and mine) - and when they are raided they get a slap on the wrist, the workers are deported, and the company turns right around and hires new ones. All this occurs because of political collusion in Congress, the White House and at the state and local levels. American businesses make big money off of illegal aliens and thus have little incentive to change - so if you want to stop the flow of illegals aliens you've got to hit hard at what is drawing them here to begin with. Forget rounding them en mass and throwing them across the border. You're going to end up looking like a bunch of racist NAZI thugs and creating a PR and financial nightmare - there are WAY too many of them to do this effectively without turning the USA into a police state.

You don't shut down drug dealing by going after the users, you shut down drug dealing by going after the suppliers. In this case American business are the supplers - not of drugs, but of jobs, and illegal aliens are the users. The problem is American business gives big money in political contributions to prevent any meaningful change (but of course there is NO such thing as corruption right here in the good old US of A - is there?). They sure as heck don't want to be shut down or slapped with any sort of substantial punishment (either fines or jail time) so they fight tooth and nail to prevent any change in the laws that will adversely effect THEM.

All this constant harping on the illegals being criminals, being sick, being leaches all sounds wayyyyyyyyyy too much like the NAZI's ignorant claims against the Jews - and, I suspect, being put forth by people with the same racist mind-set.

I agree illegal immigration is a serious issue and that immigration restrictions and rules should be inforced in order to keep out those folks who have criminal backgrounds and/or illnesses. The problem I have with most of the posts here is that there are barely-hidden racist overtones to so many of them. I feel like I'm sitting in a room full of KKK members. Controlling immigration IS not and SHOULD not be a race issue - and as a student of history I find the parallels to both the American roundup of Japanese-Americans in WW II and the NAZI persecution of the Jews to extremely disturbing. I realize that everytime there has been a major wave of immigration by any particular nationality there has always been a backlash by ignorant locals who blame fhe new immigrants for everything from an increase in crime to the spread of plague, to breakdown of American morality. In the past these arguments have been largely fictitous, and I believe they are largely fictitious now (or at the very least, blown way out of proportion). Look up what your fellow Americans were saying about the "dirty Irish" in the middle of the 19th Century and many posts on this board will sound awfully familiar.

So, again, if you want to stop the flow of illegals immigrants, leave the people alone and go after the businesses that hire them. It's a whole lot less racist-sounding and a whole lot more likely to work.

And yes, as I've said, I'm sure I have relations (though marriage) down south of the border somewhere. I've never met them, I don't know who they are - but I'm sure I have some somewhere since my wife's sister was married into a Hispanic family at one time. They were here legally and had been for several generation (longer than my own family line) - but I'm sure they have 2nd or 3rd cousins across the border somewhere whom they have never met -just as I have the same in Germany and the UK. What does THAT have to do with ANYTHING - or do you need to have south of the border connections in order to be rational and clear-thinking?
This is what I'm talking about.

a 16-year-old girl in Guanajuato, was raped weekly for more than a year by her father......

girls raped and impregnated by their fathers or brothers.....

The people that committ these crimes brings that attitude along with them when they come to the U.S. illegaly. They think it's ok to rape people here like they did in mexico..... I'm not talking about corrupt officials.

As for the rest of your post I agree with some of it and some I don't.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:31 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post

“ a 16-year-old girl in Guanajuato, was raped weekly for more than a year by her father......

The people that committ these crimes brings that attitude along with them when they come to the U.S. illegaly. They think it's ok to rape people here like they did in mexico..... I'm not talking about corrupt officials.

Just because there are a few sick stories about illegals doesn't give you or anyone the right to characterize ALL of them as rapists and murderers.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:33 PM

18,947 posts, read 21,939,969 times
Quote:

“ a 16-year-old girl in Guanajuato, was raped weekly for more than a year by her father......

Yes but WHAT does the case you mention have to do with immigration?

Did this occur in America?
No.
Did the rapists mentioned come to America?
I see no evidence of that.
The post you just made are the very types of totally irrelevent posts I see here all the time that I'm complaining about. A crime that occurs in Mexico by some local criminal has NOTHING to do with the immigration issue. It's mearly an attempt at fear-mongering by somehow implying that ALL Mexicans are criminals. Someone could just as easily say the same thing about native-born Americans by profiling one of the 50,000+ rapes that occur here in America and make the bogus claim that all Americans are rapists.

There is just no connection between the criminals mentioned in your post and the people that immigrate here - even those who do so illegally.

Ken

Old 11-07-2007, 11:37 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times
Quote:

No.
The post you just made are the very types of totally irrelevent posts I see here all the time that I'm complaining about. A crime that occurs in Mexico by some local criminal has NOTHING to do with the immigration issue. It's mearly an attempt at fear-mongering by somehow implying that ALL Mexicans are criminals. Someone could just as easily say the same thing about native-born Americans by profiling one of the 50,000+ rapes that occur here in America and make the bogus claim that all Americans are rapists.

There is just no connection between the criminals mentioned in your post and the people that immigrate here - even those who do so illegally.

Ken
Yea.. I agree. There are much more worse things that happen in the U.S. For isntance.. that judge who flew to some state to have sex with a 5 year old girl..? I mean cmon.. thats beyond sick.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Just because there are a few sick stories about illegals doesn't give you or anyone the right to characterize ALL of them as rapists and murderers.

No where in my post did you read where I said ALL are rapist and murders.
And as far it being just a few sick ones, I don't think so because it's wide spread in mexico.....nice try though care to give me another RED DOT

Old 11-07-2007, 11:58 PM

31,578 posts, read 53,114,182 times
Decent Wages? Understatement of the Year.

Not in The Bay Area. Im polynesian and a lot of people from Tonga and Samoa I know make up to $500 a day watching babies and old people. In fact, my dad's niece just immigrated(legally after waiting for 7 years thank you very much) from Tonga 4 months ago and she makes $25 an hour , M-F 12 hrs each day, watching this retired widow in Palo Alto...they dont even understand each other(LOL)

Puhleeze, they make a killing in this part of the country.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:58 PM

18,947 posts, read 21,939,969 times
Quote:
No where in my post did you read where I said ALL are rapist and murders.
And as far it being just a few sick ones, I don't think so because it's wide spread in mexico.....nice try though care to give me another RED DOT
And how exactly do YOU know it is widepread in Mexico? What exactly does "widespread" mean anyway - every person does it, every other person does it, one in ten people do it?

It may interest you to know that the USA has two and half times the rape rate of Mexico - so if it''s "widespread" in Mexico, what the heck is it here?

NationMaster - Rapes (per capita) (most recent) by country

Rapes in the US - 0.301318 per 1,000 people
Rapes in Mexico - 0.122981 per 1,000 people

Yet again another ignorant attempt to categorize an entire country by the acts of a few. Just more fear mongering.

Ken

Old 11-08-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:

No.

Ken
I'll type in braille from now on because it's obvious you are blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or