U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:40 PM

27,996 posts, read 46,373,100 times

Advertisements

HOUSTON In the debate over immigration, they are virtually unheard and unseen: hundreds of thousands of foreign-born women, many in the U.S. illegally, who toil in America's homes as nannies, cooks and housekeepers, changing diapers and scrubbing floors.

They are jobs of last resort for people whose other options are few. The lucky ones earn decent wages and build a promising future for their families.

Immigrant nannies, cooks often abused | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/business/209639 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 08:02 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,042,014 times
Default Abuse

Here's an article from March 2006 about how women and young girls are abused in Mexico.

Mexico: Rape Victims Denied Legal Abortion (Human Rights Watch, 7-3-2006)

Old 11-05-2007, 08:09 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,159,589 times
This forum is not about women and young girls being abused in Mexico. It's about immigrants coming to the U.S-- Mexican or not and being abused by their employers.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:53 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,668,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
HOUSTON In the debate over immigration, they are virtually unheard and unseen: hundreds of thousands of foreign-born women, many in the U.S. illegally, who toil in America's homes as nannies, cooks and housekeepers, changing diapers and scrubbing floors.

They are jobs of last resort for people whose other options are few. The lucky ones earn decent wages and build a promising future for their families.
Sadly, John . . . Males or Females, Old or Young, Inside or Outside, it is nothing more or nothing less than SLAVERY in the 21st Century and it needs to be eliminated immediately.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
This forum is not about women and young girls being abused in Mexico. It's about immigrants coming to the U.S-- Mexican or not and being abused by their employers.
You don't want people knowing what your kinfolks do in mexico?
What happens in mexico speaks volumes about the illegal alien criminals we have coming into this country from mexico.Illegal Women and young girls are not only abused by their employers, but by their own people here.

They are forced into prostitution and dealing drugs, in other words Pro... they are treated like slaves by their own kind.

I posted that link to show just what kind of people we have sneaking in this country like thieves in the night.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:34 PM

18,947 posts, read 21,939,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
You don't want people knowing what your kinfolks do in mexico?
What happens in mexico speaks volumes about the illegal alien criminals we have coming into this country from mexico.Illegal Women and young girls are not only abused by their employers, but by their own people here.

They are forced into prostitution and dealing drugs, in other words Pro... they are treated like slaves by their own kind.

I posted that link to show just what kind of people we have sneaking in this country like thieves in the night.
No offence, but yours was an incredibly stupid post. What does this have to do with the original post - nothing at all. It's simply an attempt to deflect attention from the original point in some kind of juvile tit-for-tat kind of contest - as if to say "well, you say we do bad things here, look what they are doing there" - and then you try to link it to the folks coming across the border as if the Mexican officials your article mentions are now somehow magically the same folks coming across the border. I sure don't recall seeing that mentioned in the article you linked to.

There may be all kinds of valid arguments that can be made against illegal immigration - but your post certainly isn't one of them.

Ken

Old 11-06-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
No offence, but yours was an incredibly stupid post. What does this have to do with the original post - nothing at all. It's simply an attempt to deflect attention from the original point in some kind of juvile tit-for-tat kind of contest - as if to say "well, you say we do bad things here, look what they are doing there" - and then you try to link it to the folks coming across the border as if the Mexican officials your article mentions are now somehow magically the same folks coming across the border. I sure don't recall seeing that mentioned in the article you linked to.

There may be all kinds of valid arguments that can be made against illegal immigration - but your post certainly isn't one of them.

Ken

Where did I say it had anything to do with the original post, from your post I'm thinking you may have relatives south of the illegal line as well.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,042,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Immigrant nannies, cooks often abused | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/business/209639 - broken link)
Perhaps if it's so horrible for them here, they should go back to Mexico. Or, they could obtain citizenship legally, and then have the right of a US citizen and sue the crap out of their abusive employers. In no way am I supporting abuse, of course that's totally unacceptable, but it's hard for me to feel sorry for someone who puts themselves in a position where they can be abused and do nothing about it because of fear of deportation, fact is they shouldn't have been here to get abused in the first place.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Where did I say it had anything to do with the original post, from your post I'm thinking you may have relatives south of the illegal line as well.
Then why post it here?

And yes in my extended family (both on my side and my wife's side) I do have relatives south of the border - as I do in Germany, England, Ireland, France, Italy, the Philippines, China and India. I have family connections all over the world and I'm damned pround of it - it makes my family 100% mutts and 100% American. As an Air Force Brat - and son of an English/Irish mother and German-American father I spent half my childhood overseas as my dad defended his country - giving me a great chance to see what life is like outside of the good old USA.

In my experience immigrants (both legal and illegal) tend to be smarter, more ambitious, and much harder-working than your average American. Those folks who are unambitious and lazy generally stay home.

Ken

Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Perhaps if it's so horrible for them here, they should go back to Mexico. Or, they could obtain citizenship legally, and then have the right of a US citizen and sue the crap out of their abusive employers. In no way am I supporting abuse, of course that's totally unacceptable, but it's hard for me to feel sorry for someone who puts themselves in a position where they can be abused and do nothing about it because of fear of deportation, fact is they shouldn't have been here to get abused in the first place.
Now this argument is clear and concise and makes sense - even for folks such as myself who are appalled by the barely-hidden racist overtones of many of the posts on this topic. Even if I may not totally agree with you, it's hard to find real fault in your argument.

When folks stick to logic and rationality they score a lot more points than when they are obviously trying to stir up unreasonable fear and hatred.

Good post.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or