U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 11:04 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,759,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah right! Most of those are diseases that afflict older folks - not the young people sneaking in. How many old geezers have you seen hobbling across the border?

Yet another example of the many irrational and overly emotional posts that are placed with little or no logical merit.

LOL

Ken
I have read and re-read and then read some more....and I can't find anything that is even remotely insulting....I must be missing something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 11:16 AM

18,946 posts, read 21,933,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
First of all, enough with the insults.
Yes "Your Magisty" (your words - from the "immigrant nanny" post)

Ken

Old 11-07-2007, 12:41 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:
Yes "Your Magisty" (your words - from the "immigrant nanny" post)

Ken
It's 'majesty'.
So that's the best you can come up with. No response to anything else in my posts. No rebuttals to any of the facts. That tells me everything I need to know.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:37 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
What if your american hospital can't get you a bed b/c they are all taken by illegals?

I actually have the privilege of being covered by a Private hospital

Old 11-07-2007, 02:47 PM

18,946 posts, read 21,933,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
It's 'majesty'.
So that's the best you can come up with. No response to anything else in my posts. No rebuttals to any of the facts. That tells me everything I need to know.
No, I have no problem with most of your posts. Overall your arguments are clear, concise and logical. My issues with so many of the posters here are not so much over immigration itself, but the often nasty and utterly illogical approach so many posters here take. THAT'S why I make comparisons of the things I see here to the things that happened in Germany prior to WW II. There is a racist undertone in many of the posts and many others are just plain silly attempts to stir up trouble. One of the worst of these that I've seen was a post claiming that Mexicans were crossing over the border and kidnapping American citizens and taking them back to Mexico (or at least that was the implication). It soon became clear that no such thing took place - and the OP as much as admitted he had no evidence of his claim. It was extremely inflamatory and as near as I can see was only posted to stir up trouble. First it was moved from the Immigration folder to the Mexico folder, then it was eventually deleted.

Here's another one that has (it seems to me) no real merit

"Here's a new scenario. Let's say Hilary actually gets elected (feeling like vomiting), and illegals get driver's licenses, including a class A truck driving license (I have no doubt they will not be limited to a class C if this happens). Now, millions of truck driving jobs across the Nation are now being taken over by illegal immigrants, putting a huge number of middle class Americans out of work, and encouraging vast numbers of more illegals coming into the country for these new job oppurtunies. Illegals who can't even read road signs because they refuse to learn English, most of which will have no truck driving experience, by the hundreds of thousands driving down the road with 80,000 pounds putting your family's safety at risk. Does this thought make anyone else sick? Do any of you who are pro-illegal not see it immoral to put possibly millions of Americans out of work?"

The post above is silly and meant merely to inflame. The number of inaccuracies and exagerrations in the post is well... pretty darned high.

Here's another one:

"The larger immoral point is the tremendous safety hazard this will cause to our citizens on the roads, and to all the stopping points along these highways where the illegals stop to shop. Maybe they will shoot and/or rape a few people along the way."

Yeah, right! We're going to have hoards of marading illegal truck drivers running down people and commiting crime sprees all over the country. I see this kind of post ALL the time on this board. These are not logical, rational arguments based on facts, rather, these are purely emotional posts with little or no factual content - based on conjecture, rumour or (in some cases, I would guess) psychic divination.

This is the type of posts I'm complaining about. Reading this stuff I get the general feeling that EVERYTHING is somehow the fault of illegal immigrants - or at least so some people would have me believe.

There are legitimate arguments to be made for Immigration reform. Certainly there are costs associated with illegal immigration. There are also benifits. To a certain degree our economy is dependent upon these folks - and we ALL benefit from the cheap labor they provide because the cost of goods and services that we ALL use is therefor less. I'm not saying that offsets the costs incurred - I really have no idea whether it does or not, and I doubt that anyone else on this board does either (regardless of what they may think). Part of the complications in determining the economic impact of undocumented economic activity is (surprise!) that's it's undocumented. Overall, it may well be that the economic drain caused by these folks more than offsets any economic gain - but NO ONE here can say that for sure. Certainly particular areas are impacted adversely (such as health care) but overall? Hard to say.

As I've said before, I DO believe we need to stop the flow of undocumented people into the country - for any number of reasons. However, I just don't think that focusing on the immigrants themselves is the solution - any more than focusing on arresting drug addicts is the answer to stopping the drug trade. If you want to fix the problem you need to go after the SUPPLIERS - in this case the employers. Right now, business likes things the way they are. It gives them a cheaper labor force that is unable/unwilling to stand up for themselves and report labor violations (for fear of deportation) and more than willing to accept sub-standard illegal wages. But you know I seldom see that here. Instead I see post after post where illegal aliens are accused of everything from acts of terrorism by starting the California fires to planning insurrection against the US government. Most of these posts are just plain dumb.

As a student of history (with particular interest in WW II) it all just sounds WAY too familiar - conjuring up so many similarities with prewar Germany. It disturbs me, and it SHOULD disturb you too. Stirring up hatred against ANY particular group of people is ALWAYS a bad thing. Somehow, someway, it always comes back to haunt you in the end. The fact is, the VAST majority of immigrants -even illegal immigrants - want nothing more than to get a job and provide a better future for their family. Some folks here however, clearly think they are mostly all muggers, rapists, and murderers.
Pretty silly and ignorant in my opinion.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 11-07-2007 at 03:46 PM..

Old 11-07-2007, 02:59 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Mon dieu. Somebody else will have to take this one.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:33 PM

376 posts, read 611,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
The privilege of being covered by private hospitals and HMOs will be of no use to you or anyone else if, God forbid, you were to catch an incurable ailment brought into the country by an Illegal.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:38 PM

1,510 posts, read 709,122 times
"Germs and Viruses can be brought in too by Illegals…"

i guess that means theyre just like us! whats the problem again?

ps- the native americans loved small pox.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
And if my mind serves me correct.. The Europeans were the ones that introduced some of the diseases that wiped out the Natives in Mexico. I won't chat amongst this much longer-- considering I'm part of European ancestry.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:06 PM

376 posts, read 611,975 times
Quote:
Guess you better not eat out ANYWHERE since from the sounds of so many posts on this board illegals are EVERYWHERE. In fact, it sounds like you need to lock yourself in your closet and not have any contact with anyone (they COULD be an illegal after all - or at the very least, have come in contact with one). And be sure and not eat any fresh fruits or vegitables - probably picked by those darned illegals.

Oh brother. Give me a break!

Ken
After reading several posts on this issue one gets the sense on who are the patriots, cowards, deserters, turncoats, and I guess those that have simply surrendered. If any one expects me to cede my moral high ground that easily, then they should expect and be prepared for a long and brutal uphill fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or