Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 06:15 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times

Advertisements

http://ktla.com/2013/06/15/study-cla...#axzz2WR1TCXsv

Quote:
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (KTLA) — The children of undocumented immigrants cost Los Angeles County more than $54 Million in April, Supervisor Mike Antonovich announced Friday. In a press release, Antonovich said that the tally came from figures provided by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services (DPSS).

The DPSS estimated that the county provided $54 million in assistance to the children of undocumented immigrants, consisting of about $20 million in CalWORKs (welfare) and $35 million in food stamps. The $20 million dollar figure represented about 20% of all CalWORKs issuances in the County, the report said. The DPSS projected undocumented immigrant parents would receive approximately $650 million in assistance in 2013.

Last edited by Count David; 06-15-2013 at 09:51 PM..

Old 06-15-2013, 06:34 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Wow... this is very upsetting. So many problems in this city. If you have traveled at all to other cities you will quickly realize that L.A has many problems. We can not afford to spend this time of money. This is a huge amount of money. I am tired of hearing from the city/county that "we do not have any money to provide basic services" when all this money is being spent in this manner. Of course many businesses also exploit 'illegal' labor too. So there will not be much of a push from the business community to crack down on illegal immigration. Translation the regular working 'legal' person in L.A gets screwed.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:37 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
I am reposting this from delete. I am glad you cited the article because if you hadn't some La Raza organizer would call you a lying bigot.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:50 AM

155 posts, read 260,236 times
Yes, I don't get how folks in LA don't seem to understand that the social and economic cost beyond cheap labor is immense. People with money don't care, but the working and lower-classes (who have to live in these rapidly changing neighborhoods) have no power to stop the influx or deal with the problems of illegal immigration in SoCal.

My neighborhood is about 25% illegal Latino and Asian immigrants. They don't speak to anyone, they don't help out anyone else, and the most important thing is that they don't call the police or show any civic virtue at all when there are issues in the area. Me and a few other neighbors call the police for drug activity, we also report illegal dumping and other problems. They (the illegals) just sneak around trying to keep a low profile, pretending that there's nothing wrong.

If the middle class and rich of LA had to live next to these people they'd immediately call for increased border security and doing everything they can to reverse the sanctuary status of SoCal.

EDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Wow... this is very upsetting. So many problems in this city. If you have traveled at all to other cities you will quickly realize that L.A has many problems. We can not afford to spend this time of money. This is a huge amount of money. I am tired of hearing from the city/county that "we do not have any money to provide basic services" when all this money is being spent in this manner. Of course many businesses also exploit 'illegal' labor too. So there will not be much of a push from the business community to crack down on illegal immigration. Translation the regular working 'legal' person in L.A gets screwed.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:14 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,694 times
Children of undocumented immigrants...as in American citizens?

Old 06-16-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Children of undocumented immigrants...as in American citizens?
I guess "anchor babies" would be a more appropriate term.

If they were born here, they would be American citizens, but some travel illegally with their families. Even so, they don't belong here and neither do their parents.

It's just a mess. There's no way anyone can justify the damage these kids have done to LAUSD by turning all classrooms into defacto ESL camps. Meanwhile, poor American students have to deal with this and usually it ends badly.

Gotta love SoCal.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:34 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Wow... this is very upsetting. So many problems in this city. If you have traveled at all to other cities you will quickly realize that L.A has many problemsd.

Yeah, cuz I hardly saw ANY problems in all those other cities...

Old 06-16-2013, 09:37 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I am reposting this from delete. I am glad you cited the article because if you hadn't some La Raza organizer would call you a lying bigot.
You guys better get this all off your chest now- comprehensive reform is coming and you'll have to find something else to ***** about

Old 06-16-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
You guys better get this all off your chest now- comprehensive reform is coming and you'll have to find something else to ***** about
Move to East LA, Echo Park, SouthGate or any area with a bunch of illegals and see for yourself. Better yet, go to Wilshire and Alvarado or Rampart and 6th and tell me how nice it is.

Reform won't change their racist, clannish behavior or suddenly make them more intelligent. Deal with that.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:12 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
This is nothing new..

But anyway, alot of people I know, or interact with aren't legal. But really, it's not something I question. You speak spanish and like the same music/beer and we relate, then I could care less. I go to a relative's quincinera and I bet many aren't citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration