U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-14-2009, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I think the reason that some people take offense to current illegal immigration as opposed to the illegal immigration of yesteryear, is that today, such a concerted effort is made to embrace the latino culture of the majority of illegal immigrants. And it is, in the process, diluting and making native born Americans compromise the culture that they are accustomed to. If Im not mistaken, no such concerted effort was made to actually embrace and adapt to prior generations of illegal immigrants.
There is some truth to what you stated.

Although; I doubt that being 'Hispanic' as such is the issue..............it could be a bunch of Anglos i.e. Russians here illegally instead which would raise peoples' hackles with their demands that we accommodate them.

 
Old 11-14-2009, 07:02 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
It doesn't. But in all of American History, the driving force behind all immigration to the US has been economic, followed by freedom from non-democratic countries that oppressed basic freedoms of speech and religion. This is not new or exclusive to today's immigrants, both legal and not.
So how is pointing out why "immigrants" come here relevant to our right to have and to enforce our immigration laws and expect immigrants to come here legally? Nobody has stated that the reasons they come here today is any different than in the past. It is a moot point!
 
Old 11-14-2009, 07:08 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I think the reason that some people take offense to current illegal immigration as opposed to the illegal immigration of yesteryear, is that today, such a concerted effort is made to embrace the latino culture of the majority of illegal immigrants. And it is, in the process, diluting and making native born Americans compromise the culture that they are accustomed to. If Im not mistaken, no such concerted effort was made to actually embrace and adapt to prior generations of illegal immigrants.
What? Who is embracing the Latino culture? Just because we enjoy some Latino food doesn't compromise our culture or dilute it. Geez, we like Italian, German, Chinese, etc. food also but that doesn't mean our basic culture is changing or that we are "embracing" another culture over our own. It is mostly only in the southwest that Latino culture is prevelant. It barely touches the rest of the nation with any significance.

Last edited by chicagonut; 11-14-2009 at 07:55 AM..
 
Old 11-14-2009, 07:31 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
60,155 posts, read 30,630,253 times
Reputation: 12825
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is mostly only in the southwest that Latino culture is prevelant. It barely touches the rest of the nation with any significance.

Ya, the problems we here in Texas, screamed about for years and years, that fell on deaf ears by the rest of the northern states and "Oh, they are just trying to make a better life" Is now effecting you. Now, it is a big deal.

How am I going to help save you, when you let them kill me??
 
Old 11-14-2009, 11:51 AM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,089,611 times
Reputation: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What? Who is embracing the Latino culture? Just because we enjoy some Latino food doesn't compromise our culture or dilute it. Geez, we like Italian, German, Chinese, etc. food also but that doesn't mean our basic culture is changing or that we are "embracing" another culture over our own. It is mostly only in the southwest that Latino culture is prevelant. It barely touches the rest of the nation with any significance.
I think pretty much everyone in this society has been made to make a concerted effort to embrace Latin culture. Certainly one can oversimplify it down to Latin food, and a presence of Latino culture in the southwest, if they so choose. But in reality, and more reasonably it expands well beyond cuisine. Anyone can choose whether they want to eat latin cuisine or not. However, most cannot choose whether they wish to press 1 for English. In addition, by "embrace", I mean that our society has specifically CHOSEN to overwhelmingly accommodate latino culture. Dual language signs are virtually the norm. People who may or may not wish to view Spanish speaking television stations, have accepted that they are a part of any cable package. Translators exist for spanish speakers whereas they dont typically exists for someone who may speak Manderin or Russian. And there is no Asian television station as a regular stable in cable packages.

Employers usually list fluency in spanish language as a preferrable quality for job candidates to have, so that they may cater to spanish speaking clientele. That is what I mean by "embracing" and adapt to Latino culture. Hell, I, myself, love a good taco and I can eat tamales like there is no tomorrow. No way would I object to eating latin food...lol
 
Old 11-14-2009, 01:14 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I think pretty much everyone in this society has been made to make a concerted effort to embrace Latin culture. Certainly one can oversimplify it down to Latin food, and a presence of Latino culture in the southwest, if they so choose. But in reality, and more reasonably it expands well beyond cuisine. Anyone can choose whether they want to eat latin cuisine or not. However, most cannot choose whether they wish to press 1 for English. In addition, by "embrace", I mean that our society has specifically CHOSEN to overwhelmingly accommodate latino culture. Dual language signs are virtually the norm. People who may or may not wish to view Spanish speaking television stations, have accepted that they are a part of any cable package. Translators exist for spanish speakers whereas they dont typically exists for someone who may speak Manderin or Russian. And there is no Asian television station as a regular stable in cable packages.

Employers usually list fluency in spanish language as a preferrable quality for job candidates to have, so that they may cater to spanish speaking clientele. That is what I mean by "embracing" and adapt to Latino culture. Hell, I, myself, love a good taco and I can eat tamales like there is no tomorrow. No way would I object to eating latin food...lol
No, it isn't your everyday law abiding American who is embracing Latino culture and/or anything to do with illegal alien Latinos either. It is greedy business and the PC idiots in our government that are doing that. That is why we see bi-lingual signs and press two for Spanish. Get your facts straight and please don't place those traitors in the same catagory as us.

Employers are requiring potential employees to speak Spanish to cater to illegal alien Spanish speakers, period! Hispanic-Americans for the most part know how to speak English so why would they need to conduct business with them in Spanish?

I already said yes we enjoy Latin food but we also enjoy Chinese, German, Italian, etc. food. I don't see us being required to speak their languages or anyone catering to them. It is because the number of illegal aliens in those national groups are minute compared to Latinos. Enjoying ethnic food doesn't change our basic culture in this country if that is what you mean by "embracing".
 
Old 11-14-2009, 02:19 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,089,611 times
Reputation: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, it isn't your everyday law abiding American who is embracing Latino culture and/or anything to do with illegal alien Latinos either. It is greedy business and the PC idiots in our government that are doing that. That is why we see bi-lingual signs and press two for Spanish. Get your facts straight and please don't place those traitors in the same catagory as us.
I understand that this may be a sensitive topic, but goodness gracious, you seem mighy upset at me for some reason or another...Have I offended you in some way? If so, I will make an attempt to reinject some civility and respectfulness in this response to you.

To your point about "greedy businesses and PC idiots in our govt." -- I dont see how this refutes any of my statements. Are we, the people, not the govt? Are we, the people, not business owners? I mean, if you wish to separate the two under your own logic and philosophy, then that is fine..but I dont think that is cause for the outrage aimed at my comments. Especially when, those comments actually still stand in truth, if taken literally. We are the govt. and we are the people. I didnt say that everyone LIKED embracing or adapting to Latino culture. I just stated that our businesses, and our govts. (which we the people comprise) seem to be making such a concerted effort to endear ourselves to the wave of Latino illegal immigrants.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Employers are requiring potential employees to speak Spanish to cater to illegal alien Spanish speakers, period! Hispanic-Americans for the most part know how to speak English so why would they need to conduct business with them in Spanish?
That may be, but I dont know how we can quantify which Americans are billingual and simply choose to speak spanish (as is their right), and which people are speaking it because they are illegal immigrants. Or whether some illegal aliens are actually billingual themselves and simply choose to speak spanish. That was the only reason I said that employers cater moreso to Latino culture rather than encouraging them to assimilate to American culture as other immigrant groups have been made to do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I already said yes we enjoy Latin food but we also enjoy Chinese, German, Italian, etc. food. I don't see us being required to speak their languages or anyone catering to them. It is because the number of illegal aliens in those national groups are minute compared to Latinos. Enjoying ethnic food doesn't change our basic culture in this country if that is what you mean by "embracing".
I dont know how much more clearly I can state that eating food has nothing to do with my reference to embracing and adapting to Latino culture. You may continue to focus on food if you please, but as I stated, that is pretty irrelevant to my own statement. I think that despite the fact that Latinos are overwhelmingly the largest group of illegal aliens today, if we are measuring our receptions of culture by size and volume, then technically we should have never even began adapting to their cultural influences (whether legal or illegal), as they were for most of this nation's history, the minority themselves.
 
Old 11-14-2009, 05:34 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,131 posts, read 11,672,514 times
Reputation: 3418
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
I agree. We know that West Africans (tribe leaders and men of power), were the ones who went to the villages to gather their own people to sell to the Europeans. Which proves, there are good and bad in every people, no matter the race or religion.
Tribal leaders waged war on each other and their enemies that they
captured were sold to caucasian slavers , however caucasian also
directly enslaved african themselves when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Unless you are willing to include the Aztecs, etc. as being perpetrators of atrocities against other 'indigenous' people as well----------branding just White (or Black) people as being guilty is inaccurate, to be polite.
The Aztecs are a South American Indian...Native American Tribe...
Much More violent and aggressive as opposited to the Northern
American Tribes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
Interesting point. However, who is to say that would've never happened? We are just assuming that the indians sooner or later would've been taken down.
The Northern American Natives would have been invaded later
and not sooner , yes you are right on that account.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I think the reason that some people take offense to current illegal immigration as opposed to the illegal immigration of yesteryear, is that today, such a concerted effort is made to embrace the latino culture of the majority of illegal immigrants. And it is, in the process, diluting and making native born Americans compromise the culture that they are accustomed to. If Im not mistaken, no such concerted effort was made to actually embrace and adapt to prior generations of illegal immigrants.
Yes....but the illegal immigration of a group with superior technology
did attempt to inpose their's culture on the original people of Northern
America , by making them so called Civilizated Indians.

Last edited by Yac; 11-16-2009 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged
 
Old 11-14-2009, 05:56 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I understand that this may be a sensitive topic, but goodness gracious, you seem mighy upset at me for some reason or another...Have I offended you in some way? If so, I will make an attempt to reinject some civility and respectfulness in this response to you.

To your point about "greedy businesses and PC idiots in our govt." -- I dont see how this refutes any of my statements. Are we, the people, not the govt? Are we, the people, not business owners? I mean, if you wish to separate the two under your own logic and philosophy, then that is fine..but I dont think that is cause for the outrage aimed at my comments. Especially when, those comments actually still stand in truth, if taken literally. We are the govt. and we are the people. I didnt say that everyone LIKED embracing or adapting to Latino culture. I just stated that our businesses, and our govts. (which we the people comprise) seem to be making such a concerted effort to endear ourselves to the wave of Latino illegal immigrants.




That may be, but I dont know how we can quantify which Americans are billingual and simply choose to speak spanish (as is their right), and which people are speaking it because they are illegal immigrants. Or whether some illegal aliens are actually billingual themselves and simply choose to speak spanish. That was the only reason I said that employers cater moreso to Latino culture rather than encouraging them to assimilate to American culture as other immigrant groups have been made to do.




I dont know how much more clearly I can state that eating food has nothing to do with my reference to embracing and adapting to Latino culture. You may continue to focus on food if you please, but as I stated, that is pretty irrelevant to my own statement. I think that despite the fact that Latinos are overwhelmingly the largest group of illegal aliens today, if we are measuring our receptions of culture by size and volume, then technically we should have never even began adapting to their cultural influences (whether legal or illegal), as they were for most of this nation's history, the minority themselves.
No, "we the people" are not the government. They haven't represented our interests for some time now. If so, they would have secured our borders and wouldn't be talking about rewarding those here illegally who have raped "we the people". We the people are not corrupt business owners who have hired these people either. You do know the difference between a regular Joe and the elites, don't you? Well regular Joe is "we the people". You are correct though it is the corruption in our government and these elite business people who are embracing the Latino culture by printing everything in Spanish to accomodate the illegal ones and other PC pandering crap, not "we the people".

The only thing that "we the people" are embracing in Latino culture is some of their ethnic food. I don't know of any other part of the Latino culture that "we the people" are embracing. It is no different than enjoying Chinese, German or Italian food. I hope you get it now.
 
Old 11-14-2009, 06:20 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,803 posts, read 19,574,286 times
Reputation: 35847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
How can they take your jobs without work permits/social security numbers?
Identity theft ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top