U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-20-2009, 05:15 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
Reputation: 2244

Advertisements

actually the immigration of previous decades, begining at the turn of the century, was pretty similar to the [illegal] immigration of today. it was an very easy to come here. people came across on a boat, gave a name, (fictitious, altered or not), stuck around for a physical check, were detained for a week or so to make sure they werent sick, and then VOILA! instant citizenship. there wasnt much of a vetting process.

and these immigrants WERE met with resistance.
italians in san francisco were hated! polish in chicago as well. the irish of the past were the mexicans of today. all these groups have been met with disdain by the previous groups.

historically people have come in waves and your gripes(as errouneous as they are) are not new.

germans were said not to assimilate. the polish didnt either. the irish didnt. neither did the italians or the portugues or anyone else.

the reality is that they did and they continue to do so.

my explanation for why people think spanish is taking over is because the wave of southern/hispanic immigration is stronger than other waves (altho it does not comapre percentage wise to the waves of immigrants invading the country in the early 1900's)
hispanics have been part of the immigration waves since the begining. they have assimilated, but because of proximity they continue to come to this country. immigration from other countries has tappered off (asians aside). so for a while we will have what seems like a bunch of un-assimilatable people, or people staying unassimilated when in fact its the recent arrivals that are still in the process assimilating.

be patient. and dont fear this isnt beign turned into a spanish speaking nation

and language is PARAMOUNT in gauging assimilation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Here is where you go wrong comparing the immigrants of the past to the massive illegal invasion mostly from south of our border today. The immigrants of the past came from several different nationality groups and they for the most part came legally and wanted to assimilate.

The so-called immigrants and citizens whose ancestors orginated from south of our border may learn to speak English but many don't want to unless they have to.

Sure our culture has evolved some but the basics still remain. These "basics" could quite likely change due to this massive illegal invasion from the south of us especially since it appears that far too many of them that are either here legally, illegally or are citizens don't really want to assimilate to our language. Just knowing how to speak English is not a sign of assimilation. They do that out of necessity not because they want to assimilate.

 
Old 11-20-2009, 05:17 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,088,829 times
Reputation: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
And the point is? I mean honestly, who cares?
??? Duuuh ....And the point is that no other immigrant group demands that we cater to them with their own specific language script for phone calls. Thats the point. And only most Americans INCLUDING MANY LEGAL IMMIGRANTS care. Thats who cares.. The same Americans who called and pressured politicians not to pass the Dream Act, or Amnesty legislation. Thats who cares, and thats who will care until the problem gets fixed.
 
Old 11-20-2009, 05:18 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
Reputation: 2244
HA first another poster accuses me of being white. then another says im ghetto trash, now you say im an illegal(which isnt a first, thats the most tired slur here)!!!

is that all you have?

just for that, you lose. debate the issues. the reality is that i DONT have to press english for anything. if there is a reason to press a button, its for SPANISH!
call ATT or sprint or t mobile and lets see if thats the case.

till then you are dismissed

oh and FYI im mixed and MULTILINGUAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktalon1 View Post
That's because you're hispanic and a spanish speaker. Hell, you may even be an illegal alien masquerading as citizen. In any event, I don't recall inquiring. There is nothing mythical about what I stated. The truth will set you free.
 
Old 11-20-2009, 05:26 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
60,095 posts, read 30,599,526 times
Reputation: 12815
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
HA first another poster accuses me of being white. then another says im ghetto trash, now you say im an illegal(which isnt a first, thats the most tired slur here)!!!

is that all you have?

If your worried about what label is placed on you, anti-American fits the best.
 
Old 11-20-2009, 06:02 PM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,410,081 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
As I stated previously, it’s a matter of opinion.
Let me explain why it's a lack if knowledge. The point addressed by the one is that Hispanics contribute to American culture. You said that only LEGAL ones because of such things as education, assimilation, etc.

Not only do they do they have the same cultural norms such as food, religion, traditions, etc. Those are real things of substance. It is also a fact that many illegal immigrants do agricultural jobs...which is a cultural contribution to our country.

I'm not disputing the illegality but even if we don't like it, they are part of the overall Hispanic cultural contribution.

I think the issue you presented is more of a social class issue ie education.

Macmeal, I will return later to respond to your post.
 
Old 11-20-2009, 06:05 PM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,410,081 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If your worried about what label is placed on you, anti-American fits the best.
For many of you guys that are anti-illegal, you consider someone with opposite views as yours as Anti-American. That is an insult. What ever happened to free speech, an American ideal?
 
Old 11-20-2009, 06:13 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,088,829 times
Reputation: 1814
To be honest, anyone that is against the enforcement of American laws IS Anti American. I dont see how they couldnt be. If they are willing to jeopardize American safety by overriding American law, in the interest of compassion, to people who arent even American citizens, then yes that person is by their very nature: Anti American.
 
Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 PM
 
51 posts, read 54,545 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
HA first another poster accuses me of being white. then another says im ghetto trash, now you say im an illegal(which isnt a first, thats the most tired slur here)!!!

is that all you have?

just for that, you lose. debate the issues. the reality is that i DONT have to press english for anything. if there is a reason to press a button, its for SPANISH!
call ATT or sprint or t mobile and lets see if thats the case.

till then you are dismissed


oh and FYI im mixed and MULTILINGUAL.
Please forgive me, I wasn't aware that children under the age of 12 were allowed to post on this forum. However, after reading your response I can see why there have been so many negative assessments associated with you.
 
Old 11-20-2009, 06:48 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
??? Duuuh ....And the point is that no other immigrant group demands that we cater to them with their own specific language script for phone calls. Thats the point. And only most Americans INCLUDING MANY LEGAL IMMIGRANTS care. Thats who cares.. The same Americans who called and pressured politicians not to pass the Dream Act, or Amnesty legislation. Thats who cares, and thats who will care until the problem gets fixed.
People who don't care about the larger issues concerning illegal immigration (inequality of access to resources globally, a veritable arpartheid state, and how to rectify these problems) care about pressing 1. That's who.
 
Old 11-20-2009, 06:49 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktalon1 View Post
Please forgive me, I wasn't aware that children under the age of 12 were allowed to post on this forum. However, after reading your response I can see why there have been so many negative assessments associated with you.
You really didn't address the post...You simply went on a character attack that had little to do with anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top