Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 04:37 PM

51 posts, read 65,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
sources please, because the studies i have seen show that language acquisition is accelerated by the first and second generation.

studies also show that this new wave of immigrants is assimilating faster than previous immigrant waves.

you say things like they were fact. but its just your opinion. an erroneous one at that.

and enough with this tribalism!
. . . .and reality dictates that Americans are thrilled with pressing 2 for English because we enjoy having annoying bs crammed down our throats.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:45 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
i never have to press anything for english.

anytime i call somewhere its always 2 or 3 or 4 for spanish.

i NEVER have to press for english. english is the default language.

that myth of yours gets old quick!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktalon1 View Post
. . . .and reality dictates that Americans are thrilled with pressing 2 for English because we enjoy having annoying bs crammed down our throats.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:52 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Quote:
you're completely wrong! ...its "press 1" for English..

Old 11-20-2009, 04:54 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I have to agree with the one and solytaire here.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:56 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
at one point in time german was as prevalent as spanish is now. at another time it was italian. people worried that the country was becoming too german or too italian, now people worry its becomng too spanish. its not.

but aside from that. you totally lost. i dont understand your logic. apparently language is part of culture, but food isnt?

culture is made up of many things. US culture has been evolving since US inception. its going to continue. we will see it in language, in fashion, in sports, in entertainment AND in FOOD
Here is where you go wrong comparing the immigrants of the past to the massive illegal invasion mostly from south of our border today. The immigrants of the past came from several different nationality groups and they for the most part came legally and wanted to assimilate.

The so-called immigrants and citizens whose ancestors orginated from south of our border may learn to speak English but many don't want to unless they have to.

Sure our culture has evolved some but the basics still remain. These "basics" could quite likely change due to this massive illegal invasion from the south of us especially since it appears that far too many of them that are either here legally, illegally or are citizens don't really want to assimilate to our language. Just knowing how to speak English is not a sign of assimilation. They do that out of necessity not because they want to assimilate.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:00 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
sources please, because the studies i have seen show that language acquisition is accelerated by the first and second generation.

studies also show that this new wave of immigrants is assimilating faster than previous immigrant waves.

you say things like they were fact. but its just your opinion. an erroneous one at that.

and enough with this tribalism!
You're not comprehending what I mean. As I said, just because they learn English out of necessity doesn't mean they are assimilated. If they don't speak it unless they have to they are non-assimilated IMO. We have different views as to what assimilation means. I have just explained mine.

Sorry, it is evident by the number of Hispanic citizens who support an amnesty for their ethnic kind that they are very tribal in nature. They should be sticking up for the laws of the U.S. instead. Many even take it a step futher and call their fellow Americans racists, etc. if they don't agree with their position on this issue. If that isn't tribalism then I don't know what is.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I guess it depends on where you live, doesn't it?

Old 11-20-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:

That's because you're hispanic and a spanish speaker. Hell, you may even be an illegal alien masquerading as citizen. In any event, I don't recall inquiring. There is nothing mythical about what I stated. The truth will set you free.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:07 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
Quote:
And the point is? I mean honestly, who cares?

Old 11-20-2009, 05:14 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Quote:
I guess it depends on where you live, doesn't it?
Whoa!...that has REALLY got to suck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration