U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:41 AM

3,162 posts, read 10,298,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
It's a myth that America is a nation of immigrants, most of the 300 plus million Americans here were born in this country and that makes them native to this nation. Natives of a county have the right to enact and enforce laws for the greater good. Which means immigration laws. All illegal aliens are criminals and should be jailed then deported.
Dear Hawkeye:
Do you have any statistics to support that statement? it'd be interesting to see

Respect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 11:43 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,005,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
give the illegal immigrants a few years to drop all their anchor babies. they will be "born in this country and that makes them native to this nation". what will you do then?

We have the new republican leaning SCOTUS properly interpret the 14TH Amendment of the COTUS and kick them out with their parents.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:44 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,347,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I might be wrong here, but I've always had the idea that most american citizens have had at last one ancestor that might have immigrated illegally to the united states.

I think this because so many people came to live the American dream since the dawn of the country, some had to serve in the civil war in order to get their citizenship, others had sponors who helped them, but (imho) the big majority just got here somehow and survived, the main difference might be that before you had to learn english and become as americanized as possible and the population was smaller, but even then there were periods in american history that suffered from anti immigration waves, specially in times of economic woes of massive flows of a particular ethnicity.

the reasons that made me think this is that considering the significant population in America, it is hard to believe that most of the immigrants had an sponsor, civil war didn't last forever so just a few of the immigrants got their citizenship this way, but I might be wrong what are your thoughts?
I think that while the country was developing citizenship was not an issue. Many different nations were on this continent at the same time. As the population increased and the riches were discovered fights broke out over who got to own the country. The Spanish lost, the French lost, and the English lost. What was left here became the United State of America. As a newly formed country our forefathers set about creating laws. We are now considered a nation of laws. Prior to having an immigration law how someone got here was irrelevant. After immigration laws were written however, the laws were supposed to be enforced, and other nations were supposed to abide by the laws.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:46 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,005,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Dear Hawkeye:
Do you have any statistics to support that statement? it'd be interesting to see

Respect!
I'm not sure I follow your question TF. Are you asking me for statistics to prove that most of the 300 million Americans here were born in America?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:56 AM

1,510 posts, read 710,042 times
Quote:
We have the new republican leaning SCOTUS properly interpret the 14TH Amendment of the COTUS and kick them out with their parents.
but LEGAL is LEGAL!!!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:56 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,433 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I follow your question TF. Are you asking me for statistics to prove that most of the 300 million Americans here were born in America?
Yes, definitely, the foreign-born are less than the native-born, of course. I'm not sure of the precentage right now, but always in our history, there has been a certain percentage of foreign-born, but most are native-born.

One of the major things we have to do is to reinterpret the 14th amendment, which does not give children of illegals citizenship. I'm not sure when it was "misinterpreted" by the Supreme Court, but if you read the amendment, it clearly says that if you're not subject to the jurisdiction of the U.S., you aren't a citizen. If a woman comes over the border from Mexico for one day and gives birth, that child should NOT be a citizen.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Yup my friend we live in the internet age, so that's possible now

Respect!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:09 PM

1,510 posts, read 710,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
One of the major things we have to do is to reinterpret the 14th amendment, which does not give children of illegals citizenship.
umm, apparently it does.

Quote:
I'm not sure when it was "misinterpreted" by the Supreme Court, but if you read the amendment, it clearly says that if you're not subject to the jurisdiction of the U.S., you aren't a citizen.
"All persons born or naturalized in the United States". thats pretty clear to me. the parents are not born or naturalized, but their children are.

Quote:
If a woman comes over the border from Mexico for one day and gives birth, that child should NOT be a citizen.
if you can be justified in questioning this law, i can be justified in questioning the whole immigration law, in general, without having to hear "illegal is illegal" as a real defense.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Yes, definitely, the foreign-born are less than the native-born, of course. I'm not sure of the precentage right now, but always in our history, there has been a certain percentage of foreign-born, but most are native-born.

One of the major things we have to do is to reinterpret the 14th amendment, which does not give children of illegals citizenship. I'm not sure when it was "misinterpreted" by the Supreme Court, but if you read the amendment, it clearly says that if you're not subject to the jurisdiction of the U.S., you aren't a citizen. If a woman comes over the border from Mexico for one day and gives birth, that child should NOT be a citizen.
I understand your view and I respect it, but you know? in some countries if you have a child there, you become a legal resident immediately proven you don't have a criminal record, regardless of your immigration status, what could have made them create such a law?

Old 11-06-2007, 12:14 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,975,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
this is in the context of "america". overlooked is the fact that there were unwanted immigrants who established modern "america". a country founded on unwanted immigrants should certainly not be hypocritical enough to shun the next wave.
It's not hypocritical at all, since you cannot compare the America of 150-200 years ago with the America of today. Back then, you either took care of yourself or you starved and/or froze to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration