U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2013, 02:15 AM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,054 posts, read 5,043,685 times
Reputation: 1377

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Im serious

Had my roof replaced a couple years ago. After at least 6 estimates the company i chose was because they were busy (i saw their sign at alot of residences with new roofs) and their quote was one of the least expensive. I had no idea they would show up on the job with a dozen illegals doing a job in 2.5 days that would normaly take a week (I have a Mansard roof 45 squares of shingles). The owner of the company came in late on day two to sew up the job doing the flashing on the chimney and making the job perfect. I got a substantial increase in my property value at a really good price because the most expensive factor of production (labor) was reduced big time.

When i go shoping with my children I currently spend for a pair of jeans what my mother spent when I was growing up, $6, Good winter coats for less than $20 and shoes are the same as when I was a kid about $8 but they dont last as long

And while globalization has been hard on the auto worker I can buy a ford F-150 for the same price as 20-25 years ago. As a Machnist from Michigan who didnt work under the cush umbrella of the UAW i could GAF about them workers either. They needed a good clipping and globalization gave it to them.

Yup now that the wife and I find ourselves in a good position financially all of these developments have increased our quality of life big time. Now im the one with 2 nice vehicles, a split level on the lake and 2 vacations of 2 weeks plus a year not some tard on the line mounting BF Goodrich on rims for 47 bucks an hour

Dead serious

Only a 45 sq Mansard roof and it took them 2 and half days and you think that was fast? And the owner dirtbag came in to do the flashing AFTER the roofing was being put in place? I'll love hearing how your leaks in a few years go !!!! You got screwed in your contemp for the American worker AND shafted yourself! ROFLMAO !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2013, 02:24 AM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,054 posts, read 5,043,685 times
Reputation: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The phrase "illegal alien" has been discredited. You should know that by now.


No, the only ones that WANT the CORRECT TERM for these maggots "illegal aliens" sweep under the rug are the fools that think either their favorite political stupidity party will get more votes or are trying to make money off the backs of these illegal aliens while saying a great big F#%^ You to the United States Of America citizens. And ANYONE that is so cowardly as to support amnesty bills should be shot by a firing squad or hung by rope by the neck until dead. Supporting any of these amnesty bills is an act of treason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 07:32 AM
 
31,882 posts, read 14,678,159 times
Reputation: 8495
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I hold the individual responsible for their actions. If a Mexican wants to cross the border illegally and be enslaved that is his business. I hope he is caught and deported before he and his GF can drop an anchor baby or he can get on the earned income credit gravy train. If he makes it to my state and hooks up with a roofing contractor that is out of my control even if i benefit from his services. As far as my attitude towards fellow citizens again I hold the indvidual responsible for their actions. If you have a problem with illegals taking jobs from you or reducing wages then you need to become more politically active and champion a cause. Either that or aquire some education or skills that remove you from the labor pool that has you competeting with illegals.

I learned long ago that the only person that was going to help me is me. The alternative is to petition the government to assist you in over coming the obstacles fate places in your path to opportunity. I didnt have much success with that
I am retired and don't need a job so this doesn't apply to me. However, I know many Americans that have been replaced on their jobs or can't get hired because they have to compete with cheap, illegal labor. We have always had a large American blue-collared workforce in our country. Many Americans enjoy physical labor. Should they just stop doing the jobs they like to do and hand them over to illegal aliens and do something they don't enjoy instead?

I don't think I have any further need to converse with you. Your attitude is too upsetting to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 11:04 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,330,336 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The phrase "illegal alien" has been discredited. You should know that by now.
Uh; people who are here in the US ILLEGALLY are STILL ILLEGAL aliens. Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 11:05 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,330,336 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I dont mind enslaving illegals to do the work I wont do. Let em come and slave cheap labor so I can get sevices cheap. That along with globalization and walmart has done one hell of alot over the last 10 years to keep my COL down
Uh; your attitude is PART of the problem. Too; just be careful saying that stuff since YOUR job could go away between illegal aliens and outsourcing to India and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 11:15 AM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,136 posts, read 21,179,583 times
Reputation: 23168
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Im serious

Had my roof replaced a couple years ago. After at least 6 estimates the company i chose was because they were busy (i saw their sign at alot of residences with new roofs) and their quote was one of the least expensive. I had no idea they would show up on the job with a dozen illegals doing a job in 2.5 days that would normaly take a week (I have a Mansard roof 45 squares of shingles). The owner of the company came in late on day two to sew up the job doing the flashing on the chimney and making the job perfect. I got a substantial increase in my property value at a really good price because the most expensive factor of production (labor) was reduced big time.

When i go shoping with my children I currently spend for a pair of jeans what my mother spent when I was growing up, $6, Good winter coats for less than $20 and shoes are the same as when I was a kid about $8 but they dont last as long

And while globalization has been hard on the auto worker I can buy a ford F-150 for the same price as 20-25 years ago. As a Machnist from Michigan who didnt work under the cush umbrella of the UAW i could GAF about them workers either. They needed a good clipping and globalization gave it to them.

Yup now that the wife and I find ourselves in a good position financially all of these developments have increased our quality of life big time. Now im the one with 2 nice vehicles, a split level on the lake and 2 vacations of 2 weeks plus a year not some tard on the line mounting BF Goodrich on rims for 47 bucks an hour

Dead serious
We had our roof replaced a few years back too. I wish we could require that anyone working on our property speak our language because in the middle of the work I saw something they were doing wrong and it took a call to the company doing the work to get someone to talk to them to tell them to stop. That could have been a disaster. I am really careful who I get to work on my house now and will pay more for qualified people. I still worry about my roof. Goodness knows what these people did to it?

My friends and I are learning to pass around to each other those businesses that are American friendly. Wonder how long it will be until that is illegal. My home is important to me and I don't want on the edge people around it. I want quality work not cheap work. And you better watch who is serving you food because a lot of these people do not understand cleanliness. I see Hispanic, I go on to another place. People have died by not doing this. And if you want to question that, check the news in North Carolina.

Last edited by NCN; 06-22-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,913,834 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We had our roof replaced a few years back too. I wish we could require that anyone working on our property speak our language because in the middle of the work I saw something they were doing wrong and it took a call to the company doing the work to get someone to talk to them to tell them to stop. That could have been a disaster. I am really careful who I get to work on my house now and will pay more for qualified people. I still worry about my roof. Goodness knows what these people did to it?
When I built my house the mason showed up and I saw he had some hispanic workers. I asked him if they were immigrants because they only spoke spanish. He kind of laughed and said kind of sorta t. I asked if they could produce green cards? If not get them off my property. He stuttered and started trying to talk contract. I offered to call the police and let them sort it out. He opted to leave. Guess they were illegals after all.
We hear what they save us. It cost me 400 additional dollars to get my foundation done by a contractor who used legal workers. $400.00 on a house that cost 140,000 grand to build in 2001. I don't think that is so high a price to pay. The other contractors used legal labor. I was on the job everyday and made sure of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 02:50 PM
 
1,729 posts, read 1,437,786 times
Reputation: 886
The roof is perfect. You have no clue

Stand down


Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Only a 45 sq Mansard roof and it took them 2 and half days and you think that was fast? And the owner dirtbag came in to do the flashing AFTER the roofing was being put in place? I'll love hearing how your leaks in a few years go !!!! You got screwed in your contemp for the American worker AND shafted yourself! ROFLMAO !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 03:40 PM
 
1,729 posts, read 1,437,786 times
Reputation: 886
The owner did exactly what I wanted and I never had any problems with his labor. His signs were all over town at homes he had worked on and he came highly reccommended by all of them. i had enough estimates, due diligence was done. Id rather have an overpaid illegal on my roof than an underpaid American

The roof is perfect. I Inspect it all the time and its solid after 3 years




Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We had our roof replaced a few years back too. I wish we could require that anyone working on our property speak our language because in the middle of the work I saw something they were doing wrong and it took a call to the company doing the work to get someone to talk to them to tell them to stop. That could have been a disaster. I am really careful who I get to work on my house now and will pay more for qualified people. I still worry about my roof. Goodness knows what these people did to it?

My friends and I are learning to pass around to each other those businesses that are American friendly. Wonder how long it will be until that is illegal. My home is important to me and I don't want on the edge people around it. I want quality work not cheap work. And you better watch who is serving you food because a lot of these people do not understand cleanliness. I see Hispanic, I go on to another place. People have died by not doing this. And if you want to question that, check the news in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,395 posts, read 3,573,898 times
Reputation: 7773
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
SurveyResults




Do you believe that illegals should be given status to work in the United States after paying appropriate fines?
Yes
18,187(21%)

No
67,139(78%)




Do you believe the United States border with Mexico has been fully secured by the Obama administration?
Yes
3,400(3%)

No
82,651(96%)





After working in the United States for a period of time and paying fines, should illegals be allowed to apply for U.S. citizenship?
Yes
19,584(22%)

No
66,281(77%)
The people calling for total border control clearly have no idea what that would actually require.

It would require stopping, and searching, every single car, every single truck and every single container entering the US from Mexico. It would require tracking every single foreign passenger on every single airplane (lots of "illegals" are foreign visitors who overstay their visas). It would requiring building, and guarding, and virtual Maginot Lone across 2000 miles of open desert. The costs of doing all this, in terms of money, manpower and equipment, would be staggering.

And if it worked, it would bring US-Mexico trade to a virtual standstill. All that endless stopping and searching would make ordinary trade impossible. Both the US and Mexican economies would lose billions.

The close-the-border crowd needs to understand that you cannot expect a free northward flow of eggplant and avocados without a free northward flow of unauthorized workers and marijuana. The whole idea of "controlling the border" is just a fantasy. It will never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top