U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:27 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,350,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The people calling for total border control clearly have no idea what that would actually require.

It would require stopping, and searching, every single car, every single truck and every single container entering the US from Mexico. It would require tracking every single foreign passenger on every single airplane (lots of "illegals" are foreign visitors who overstay their visas). It would requiring building, and guarding, and virtual Maginot Lone across 2000 miles of open desert. The costs of doing all this, in terms of money, manpower and equipment, would be staggering.

And if it worked, it would bring US-Mexico trade to a virtual standstill. All that endless stopping and searching would make ordinary trade impossible. Both the US and Mexican economies would lose billions.

The close-the-border crowd needs to understand that you cannot expect a free northward flow of eggplant and avocados without a free northward flow of unauthorized workers and marijuana. The whole idea of "controlling the border" is just a fantasy. It will never happen.
Maybe it's time to put what you say to the test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 05:57 PM

31,942 posts, read 14,712,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The people calling for total border control clearly have no idea what that would actually require.

It would require stopping, and searching, every single car, every single truck and every single container entering the US from Mexico. It would require tracking every single foreign passenger on every single airplane (lots of "illegals" are foreign visitors who overstay their visas). It would requiring building, and guarding, and virtual Maginot Lone across 2000 miles of open desert. The costs of doing all this, in terms of money, manpower and equipment, would be staggering.
ht
And if it worked, it would bring US-Mexico trade to a virtual standstill. All that endless stopping and searching would make ordinary trade impossible. Both the US and Mexican economies would lose billions.

The close-the-border crowd needs to understand that you cannot expect a free northward flow of eggplant and avocados without a free northward flow of unauthorized workers and marijuana. The whole idea of "controlling the border" is just a fantasy. It will never happen.
If there were no incentives for them to come here then they wouldn't. That's what would work. No jobs, no benefits and no birthright citizenship.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:07 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,578,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Maybe it's time to put what you say to the test.
It already has been put to the test.

Back in 1969, the Nixon administration launched Operation Intercept, which effectively sealed the US-Mexico border in order to stem drug trafficking. It created so much chaos and had such awful economic consequences, it had to be abandoned after less than a month.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:32 AM

5,467 posts, read 4,607,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I dont mind enslaving illegals to do the work I wont do. Let em come and slave cheap labor so I can get sevices cheap. That along with globalization and walmart has done one hell of alot over the last 10 years to keep my COL down
Yes, and your selfish attitude has made US citizens wages low. Construction, landscaping, etc. used to be performed by Americans. Now those fields have been taken over by illegals and because they do it so cheaply, Americans who want to work in those fields have to do it for less.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:35 AM

5,467 posts, read 4,607,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
When I built my house the mason showed up and I saw he had some hispanic workers. I asked him if they were immigrants because they only spoke spanish. He kind of laughed and said kind of sorta t. I asked if they could produce green cards? If not get them off my property. He stuttered and started trying to talk contract. I offered to call the police and let them sort it out. He opted to leave. Guess they were illegals after all.
We hear what they save us. It cost me 400 additional dollars to get my foundation done by a contractor who used legal workers. $400.00 on a house that cost 140,000 grand to build in 2001. I don't think that is so high a price to pay. The other contractors used legal labor. I was on the job everyday and made sure of it.
I wish there were more like you.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:39 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,439,973 times
I do not seek your approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Yes, and your selfish attitude has made US citizens wages low. Construction, landscaping, etc. used to be performed by Americans. Now those fields have been taken over by illegals and because they do it so cheaply, Americans who want to work in those fields have to do it for less.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:53 PM

16,795 posts, read 8,720,935 times
Most Americans are standing in line outside of Nike stores waiting for the new sneakers.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:42 PM

44,762 posts, read 43,301,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Most Americans are standing in line outside of Nike stores waiting for the new sneakers.
Can you prove that?

Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 PM

10,913 posts, read 5,141,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The phrase "illegal alien" has been discredited. You should know that by now.
You are waaaay behind. The term "Illegal Alien" is pretty much accepted by the Political elite as (gasp) Racist - they don't even accept "Illegal Immigrant" any more.

Amid recent controversy, a few major news-gathering organizations like the Los Angeles Times and The Associated Press have announced they'd no longer use the term "illegal immigrant" because it labels people rather than their behavior.

I believe the politically 'acceptable' term is supposed to be either "undocumented" or "unauthorized".

Not everyone agrees ..... Ruben Naverrette (syndicated Hispanic columnist for many years) still likes "Illegal Immigrant" and is not fond of the newest PC Police terminology.

Politically correct bullies don't like ‘illegal immigrant'

Old 06-23-2013, 06:44 PM

44,762 posts, read 43,301,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If there were no incentives for them to come here then they wouldn't. That's what would work. No jobs, no benefits and no birthright citizenship.
Take away the incentives, that would work.

That being mentioned, the problems with unemployment go beyong illegal immigration. It's part of the problem. However,it goes beyond there. It is about employers looking for the cheapest possible labor force. When there was a crackdown on illegal immigrants in some states, farmers started to turn to prison labor.

Some tech companies are turning to H1B visas because the pay scale is less. This is how I see it. If an immigrant has a skill and comes to this nation legally, that person should be paid the same as someone who lives here already.

The main idea is that many business owners are after one thing: MONEY. Some of these politicians sit here and claim how much they care about immigrants. Deep down, they see MONEY. It is about businesses having access to cheaper labor. Many businesses want people whom they deem as pliable and acquiescent, who won't ask for decent pay. It isn't only about the incentives for illegal immigrants. It is about the businesses who want cheap labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or