Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:29 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,985,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I would beat the hell out of you if you try to arrest me for the way I look.

This is the stupidest thread ever.
Just be careful; the ugly reality is that prejudice is growing against people who look stereotypically 'Hispanic' and you may lose---------big time.

I am not saying it is right but; the PR damage has been done by the ethnocentrists and illegal aliens.

For that matter: quite a few 'Anglos' may be at risk----------my stepsister is one (she looks like a Puerto Rican) courtesy of her partial Italian heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 08:33 AM

3,011 posts, read 6,279,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Since a citizen's arrest is legal under the US Constitution maybe the solution to the illegal alien infestation is to encourage the citizen's arrest of illegal aliens. States that have infestation problems could even allocate money towards covering the expenses of such said arrests. Perhaps local community involvement is necessary to clean up the mess we're in today. It could be modeled after the Guardian Angles program. Depending on what area of the country you live in and where you work maybe your employer would even give you paid time off to participate in this program. Plus, private citizens don't need warrants. Warrants only apply to government agencies.

What are you thoughts on the matter?
How would you differentiate between a legal citizen and illegal alien?

I'm a native born Black American who gets mistaken for being Middle Eastern, Mexican, etc.

If any "private citizen" ever approached and threatened to arrest me on the suspicion that I "may" be an illegal alien, let alone challenged my right to be in MY country that I proudly served in the US military, I'll just say that person will think twice about wanting to do this any further.

You are essentially playing with a hornet's nest by not only possibly arresting innocent people who have every legal right to be in this country, but setting yourself and others up to get hurt or worse.

This is what ICE has been designated for, not private citizens.

Last edited by Gil3; 10-02-2009 at 08:50 AM..

Old 10-02-2009, 12:33 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,263,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
No, you are the one who needs to be careful. No matter how much you try to justify prejudice toward Hispanics, it will not be accepted by real Americans. This country has gone too far to start going backwards, no matter what twisted logic you use.

You're definitely the one who needs to be careful in trying to push racial profiling or to consider citizens arrest on citizens who look different than you. I agree with the other two posters. Anyone who would try to profile me and make a citizen's arrest because of how I look would regret that action.
Most Americans are not prejudiced towards Hispanics but the fact remains that the majority of illegals are Hispanics. It is those Hispanics that we object to and their ethnocentric aiders and abettors, not law abiding Hispanic Americans. That makes it obvious why Hispanics in general are looked upon with suspicion. What is there to fear if one is here legally in this country and has proper documents to prove it? When someone fits the description of a law breaker in any crime it is those that will be questioned. It is called criminal profiling not racial profiling. If a white guy commits a crime whom shoud we be questioning.....black females?

Old 10-02-2009, 01:45 PM

291 posts, read 412,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
If the Police don't have a reliable means of determining the citizenship or immigration status of an individual, I don't see how an individual interested in doing an immigration/citizenship check on a 'suspect' is going to do it.

With that said, if anyone walked up to me and asked me if I was a citizen, I'd ask him to prove his first. Then, after he proves his, I'd ask for a copy so I could prove its authenticity. Or maybe I'd simply tell him he is brave because with all the identity theft out there, he is taking a significant risk carrying such important documents on his person.

I wonder where the citizen's arrest would occur. At a business location such as a supermarket or Disneyland? Would a private entity such as those allow such activity on their premises?

Maybe it could happen out on the street. Would there be checkpoints set up by individuals? Maybe they could do it at freeway offramps. You know, kind of like the guy who walks back and forth trying to sell oranges, in the meantime there could be a guy going back and forth pointing at drivers saying, "Citizen? Legal?"

Maybe it could happen in our neighborhoods where, like Jehovah's Witnesses, you get a knock on the door. Can I ignore the door?

Citizen arrests? I have a better idea - how about our government do it's job.
All are good ideas to consider, I remember when regan was in office, it was law to have ID on you at all times, drivers lic or state pic id.
thats what we need everyone be able to prove whom you are. if not cops
need to enforce our laws once and for all.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:42 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,208,509 times
I don't see the problem with racial profiling, it works. African Americans for example make up about 13% of the U.S. population yet commit around 80% of all our violent crime. Hispanics are starting to get up there too. It's not racist, it's just probability. Whites commit more crimes than Asians if that makes you feel any better. Lets say I'm a cop and I get a call about an assault, lets now say that there is no description of the suspect but we know their driving a blue ford taurus. Well lets say I encounter two blue ford taurus's, one being driven my a middle aged white man and one being driven by a middle aged hispanic or black male. Now statistics show that theres roughly a 8 out of 10 chance thats our suspect is not white, who are you going to pull over? If you say the white fella than there is nothing I can do for you. I'm sorry if the truth is painful.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,985,296 times
Quote:
No, you are the one who needs to be careful. No matter how much you try to justify prejudice toward Hispanics, it will not be accepted by real Americans. This country has gone too far to start going backwards, no matter what twisted logic you use.

You're definitely the one who needs to be careful in trying to push racial profiling or to consider citizens arrest on citizens who look different than you. I agree with the other two posters. Anyone who would try to profile me and make a citizen's arrest because of how I look would regret that action.
I stand by what I stated-----------the anger and prejudice is growing against stereotypical Hispanics as a group. You pro illegal alien apologists need to face that courtesy of defending a bunch of losers who have no right being in the USA in the first place.

The people I am worried about being in danger (from extremists of both sides) are true blue Americans (of any race/ethnicity) who physically resemble Mestizos.

The truth hurts-------------accept it and maybe quit being such a bunch of traitors towards your fellow Americans.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:03 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,644,447 times
This whole thing is ridiculous. Just specify that citizenship is impossible for children of illegals. When the illegals drop anchor babies deport them. If they come for welfare, deport them. If they commit a crime, deport them. If they are spotted picking vegetables or doing other labor, deport them. Citizens should get together to replace congressmen and the senate with real non-lawyer wall street scum and the problem will go away. Arresting people and checking ID is simply insane.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:48 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,263,203 times
Quote:
Oh my god.

The metaphor just makes me want to

Why can't you people understand that the majority of illegals being Hispanic does not mean that the majority of Hispanics are illegal??

It makes me sick that there's still people that call themselves Americans that will try to justify racial profiling, and pretend that is acceptable and isn't racist.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? I do NOT have to prove that I am citizen. I was born and raised in this country like you. Either harass everyone, or do the right thing and search under probable cause, NOT race. Believe me, most Americans would be against this. You are a minority with that mindset. It's a pipe dream to think this will be acceptable in 2009 America. And I'm relatively quiet politically. Even with immigration, I'm an observer who is watching how things turn out, keeping a close eye when things go too far.

But believe me, if Hispanics begin to get their civil rights trampled on, and those of us who are as American as you begin to get treated like foreigners in our own country, and become "looked upon with suspicion" because we have mestizo features, brown skin, or Spanish names and speak a little Spanish, a lot of people will become angry, and will fight for our deserved place in this country. I am infuriated by this even being a topic. Stop trying to divide the country, and if you want your pet topic to be treated seriously, and not to be considered "racist", don't wan't people getting involved on the side of illegals because of shared ethnicity, then TAKE race and ethnicity OUT OF IT.
I guess my truthful analogy hit a nerve, didn't it? As a law abiding American I would not resent being questioned as a white person if most illegals in this country were white. I have authentic I.D. so it would be the end of the story and no big deal. No, I think many Hispanics make a fuss about being questioned and call it racial profiling because they don't want those of their ethnic kind illegally here deported. It has nothing to do with personal feelings of racial profiliing. It is all smoke and mirrors. Hispanics have a trible mentality and they stick together to the point of putting their own above the law and that is what this is really all about not any perceived racial profiling. If Hispanics stood shoulder to shoulder with their other law abiding Americans against illegal immigration they would see a big change in attitude towards them. I won't hold my breath though.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:26 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,505,496 times
True "racial profiling", if it ever existed, would be an odious affront to American values. True racial profiling would imply that ALL members of a race were 'singled out' for intense scrutiny; subjected to harassment on the grounds of race alone; and that other races were exempt from such degradations. This MAY have occurred 50 years ago in Alabama....it does NOT occur today in America.

What DOES sometimes occur is that groups are profiled; and that MANY of those profiled MAY share ethnicity or race. That may cause consternation, but it's not racial profiling.

My wife looks as 'Mexican' as anyone possibly could (She's an American Indian, from a Spanish-speaking native California family). Yet she's NEVER ONCE been asked to "prove" she belongs here (not by authorities, at least), even though we've visited Phoenix many times... (Phoenix being the home turf of the notorious 'profiling' Sheriff, Joe Arapaio). Controversial as Arpaio is, the VAST MAJORITY of the Hispanic residents of Phoenix are able to live their lives without being "pulled over" once a week because of their 'looks'.

I don't know all the answers, but MOST law-enforcement work includes 'profiling' of one kind or another. But true 'racial profiling'? No...that's what Hitler did to the Jews in Europe. That's what Mississippi did to blacks in the 1940's. It's NOT what we in America do to ANYONE, today.

I do know there's plenty of racism on this forum. I don't know how you're supposed to "find" illegals...(nor whether most people even WANT them 'found'...nor how you could EVER 'find' them without a huge outcry of 'oppression' and a giant lawsuit)...But I DO know that what we do here is NOT the definition of 'racial profiling'. If it was, my wife and family would never get ANYTHING done...

Old 10-04-2009, 11:43 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,883,720 times
So if it hasn't happened to you, it hasn't happened at all. I used to think along those same lines...until it happened to me. Being questioned whether or not I have crack inside my vehicle when I was pulled over for no reason (the officer said I ran a red light, even though the light was clearly yellow). Or what about my friend, Hispanic from suburban NorCal, who was the only person handcuffed for being with a group that had a pellet gun in the dorm. The guy who owned it didn't even get hancuffed. Four of my friends went camping, brought back a pellet gun, and then the cops came. I find it odd that the ONLY minority was handcuffed.

You are right, we don't single out EVERY single person. However, we single out minorities more. Meaning that racial profiling exists. It is however, encouraging that we are moving more away from this trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration