Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Are Italians considered white? lol. I've always wondered since they seem to be so dark. Maybe they just seem dark to a gentleman of German and Norwegian heritage .
Yep.

And Iranians, Arabs, N Africans and many other 'dark' peoples are also counted as 'Anglo' AKA non Hispanic Whites here in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yep.

And Iranians, Arabs, N Africans and many other 'dark' peoples are also counted as 'Anglo' AKA non Hispanic Whites here in Arizona.
I thought English Heritage made you an Anglo? If I have no English heritage, than I would be considered Nordic I would think.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I thought English Heritage made you an Anglo? If I have no English heritage, than I would be considered Nordic I would think.
Again: here in Arizona............Anglo=non Hispanic White person of any ancestry.

I am definitely counted as Anglo despite being 1/2 Hungarian/Slovak and 1/4 Irish

Old 10-06-2009, 12:38 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
More insults. Haven't you been warned already?
If you can show how heuristics work and show the correlation between perception and actuality with relation to thinking heuristically, then we can talk. However, I think that this would not be possible...so, what would be the point?

Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Again: here in Arizona............Anglo=non Hispanic White person of any ancestry.

I am definitely counted as Anglo despite being 1/2 Hungarian/Slovak and 1/4 Irish
Anglo pertains to ONLY English ancestry. Anglophone refers to the English LANGUAGE. Italian is not Anglo...neither is being Eastern European. You may be an Anglophone, but not Anglo.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
I bet there is more to this story

Although in all fairness: an Anglo friend of mine while visiting Arkansas or someplace similar over 30 years ago was (informally) 'profiled' by the local PW Trash since he looks American Indian------------never mind that he is 100% Anglo of 50% Italian heritage and that he self identified as a Redneck himself.
Actaully there is not more to the story. I lied, he was later released and recieved an apology. It's Santa Barbara, not much goes on in terms of crime...

Old 10-06-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Of course they are of the white race. Skin color has nothing to do with it. Even anglo whites can have darker skin tones and blacks can have lighter skin tones. There are only a few racial catagories and Italians by nature aren't usually of the Black, Asian or Native Indian races.
Technically race is a social construct...so really stating that there are "a few racial catagories (sic)" is really incorrect...Technically, race (skin color) is determined by so few alleles and changes VERY quickly in a blood line, that there really is no such thing as race. Two brothers can be related, but be very different looking racially. I know my kids will turn out darker than my brother's kid (MUCH darker than my brother).

Old 10-06-2009, 01:30 AM

247 posts, read 379,839 times
Actually there is an easy solution. All government would have to do is issue a National ID Card with a SmartChip embedded into the card. The SmartChip can be read by decoders as far as 40 feet away. The numbers on the SmartChip are a series of 14 characters and cannot be seen (read) by the human eye.

If the handheld decoders (used by Law Enforcement) were pointed at anyone, it could read the chip number. This in turn would pull up a file in a database showing the "photo" of the person that was issued that particular National ID Card. It would also list any arrest records, the persons name, age, sex, DOB, SSN, and registered street address.

This wouldn't cause anyone to have to present the ID. Simply having it on your person would be enough. Illegals wouldn't have the National ID Card and it'd be impossible to make a fake card, and if using a stolen card your face doesn't match what the cop gets back from the db your butt would be picked up and detained until you're able to prove you're not here illegally.

Then, if they're illegal -- send them back home.

A National ID Card with a yearly renewal fee of $20.00 would also help generate money for states that are having financial issues.

The SmartChip is already being used on a few credit cards now. The company that came out with it is based in Illinois and they've recently had their chip approved by the FDA stating it's safe even to be implanted in humans. I however do not agree with implanting a chip in anyone, whether they're legal or illegal -- it's just wrong.

But the National ID Card would work.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:39 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ho View Post
Actually there is an easy solution. All government would have to do is issue a National ID Card with a SmartChip embedded into the card. The SmartChip can be read by decoders as far as 40 feet away. The numbers on the SmartChip are a series of 14 characters and cannot be seen (read) by the human eye.

If the handheld decoders (used by Law Enforcement) were pointed at anyone, it could read the chip number. This in turn would pull up a file in a database showing the "photo" of the person that was issued that particular National ID Card. It would also list any arrest records, the persons name, age, sex, DOB, SSN, and registered street address.

This wouldn't cause anyone to have to present the ID. Simply having it on your person would be enough. Illegals wouldn't have the National ID Card and it'd be impossible to make a fake card, and if using a stolen card your face doesn't match what the cop gets back from the db your butt would be picked up and detained until you're able to prove you're not here illegally.

Then, if they're illegal -- send them back home.

A National ID Card with a yearly renewal fee of $20.00 would also help generate money for states that are having financial issues.

The SmartChip is already being used on a few credit cards now. The company that came out with it is based in Illinois and they've recently had their chip approved by the FDA stating it's safe even to be implanted in humans. I however do not agree with implanting a chip in anyone, whether they're legal or illegal -- it's just wrong.

But the National ID Card would work.
I agree. A national I.D. card that is tamper proof would solve a lot of our illegal immigration problems.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Anglo pertains to ONLY English ancestry. Anglophone refers to the English LANGUAGE. Italian is not Anglo...neither is being Eastern European. You may be an Anglophone, but not Anglo.
I was referring to how we do things here in Arizona: if you do not believe me----------tough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration