U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 03:49 PM

9,077 posts, read 15,537,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Man in prison outfit, dreadlocks and darkened skin make-up came to party
  • Party host was Julie Myers, head of Immigration and Customs Enforcement
  • She and other judges at first gave man praise for costume's "originality"
  • But some were offended and Myers later apologized in an email to employees
Immigration chief apologizes for 'offensive' costumes at her party - CNN.com

DHS employee put on leave after wearing 'offensive' costume - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 03:54 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,979,188 times
Once again the appologists have over reacted. It was a costume party!!! If someone dressed as the pope, or a priest even a satanic priest no one would have cared.
Pitiful

Old 11-06-2007, 05:57 PM

7,139 posts, read 12,936,781 times
I used to dress up as a bag lady for Halloween. Wonder how that would go over in today's insane PC society? Is a full time job now, trying to keep up with who the "sacred ones" are.... Let's see, criminals, terrorists, pedophiles, fringers, the "disenfranchised", to name a few.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:02 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,179,378 times
Back in the old days I noticed that there were some musicals where a White man put black paint on their face with a curly haired wig. People could have referred to this and realized that his costume was offensive. I know people back then didn't think it was offensive.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:11 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,668,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Back in the old days I noticed that there were some musicals where a White man put black paint on their face with a curly haired wig. People could have referred to this and realized that his costume was offensive. I know people back then didn't think it was offensive.
"Some Musicals" is an understatement. Much of the entire "showtunes" industry is based on what you're refering to--it's called "blackface", and was quite a part of the culture decades ago. Al Jolson, one of the most prolific showmen in American history, was a white (Jewish) guy who made his mark in "blackface" musicals. You've probably heard many of his "numbers" without realizing how they started.
Needless to say, this has long ago gone out of "fashion", and would no longer be acceptable. Every now and then some college fraternity, etc, gets in trouble for a "blackface" skit. Big big part of American culture, 80 years ago or so...big big "no no" today...

BUT GETTING back to the specific incident mentioned on this thread, I think it's safe to say that we now live in a world of Political Correctness- and theres VERY LITTLE in this type of culture that is acceptable as humor. ALL jokes have a "Butt"....and someone, or something, thus becomes the "butt of the joke". Perhaps the only safe "butt" left is the straight, white male...and after while, even THEY aren't too funny, if you're really being "PC"...

Old 11-06-2007, 06:16 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,893,217 times
Check out this Jolson movie - it has the most bizzare sequence at the end:
Wonder Bar (1934)

Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,749,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Perhaps the only safe "butt" left is the straight, white male...and after while, even THEY aren't too funny, if you're really being "PC"...
Darn: no more Irish or Italian jokes!

Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 PM

17,287 posts, read 25,078,788 times
The funniest non-PC costume I saw this Halloween was a couple of guys dressed as Sheiks, drinking out of portable gas containers.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:26 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,904,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Darn: no more Irish or Italian jokes!
an if anyone make a joke about tall old bald phat guys I am gonna SCREAM

Old 11-06-2007, 10:56 PM

17 posts, read 36,290 times

Halloween party = Dress up. What does this have to do with immigration???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or