U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:03 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
It's all a huge mistake to allow any illegals citizenship.
It's a good article, if read - But specifically covering legal immigration...

Old 06-25-2013, 07:29 PM

31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
From the article. Who could argue with this?

"But critics are concerned that clearing the green-card backlog on top of legalizing many of the 11 million undocumented immigrants would flood the U.S. with millions of new workers who could drive down wages, compete for jobs with Americans, and drive up the costs of public benefits".

"It's a very large increase in the eventual number of green cards and the eventual number of legal permanent residents, and I believe all together it will impose a very large cost on the U.S. taxpayer," said Robert Rector, senior research fellow at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank".

"Typically, legal immigrants who come to the U.S. on family-related visas have below-average education levels and therefore tend to use more in public benefits than they pay in taxes, Rector said".

Old 06-26-2013, 07:54 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Immigrants waiting for greencard in the US are most likely legal. IN term of the article you quote, it is for sure they are under H1 B visas.

They are two categories of these immigrants.
1. Ones which possess high education level (or at least bachelor degree - master of science and such are preferrable) usually from hard science or post-grad academic fields. (So forget about business, humanity and liberal arts fields).
"High education level" is debatable. I work in I.T. and I have worked with the products of Indian and Chinese universities every day for many years. I am unimpressed.

Quote:
2. Ones who posses specific skills which are highly demanded in the US but the country cannot fill up the quota from the fields, such as RN. (Although it is harder now for the second category to get H1Bs)
Hop on a nursing forum sometime and listen to all the baby nurses complain about not being able to find a job because they're all being snatched up by immigrants.

Quote:
In order for one to get an H1B from the first category, there is an arduous steps taken to ensure that the position taken by this immigrant is not going to sabotage a career opportunity for another bright US citizens with the same qualifications.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH *pausing for breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *holding stomach* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is BEYOND wrong.

Quote:
Employer has to put advertisement for 3 months, advertising the job while the immigrant is working. There are other steps, which I am not going to even discuss here.

That's OK, we all know it's BS anyway.

Quote:
If a US citizen apply for the job advertised and is qualified, the employer can fire the immigrant and hire the US citizen.
That is what happens and what I see and experience in the science and engineering fields.
Unfortunately, there are less Americans who are up to the par. That is why there is a huge H1B visa holders and backlog for greencard applications each year.

ROFLMAO

Google "skills gap myth" sometime.

Quote:
So try again! Try to find suitable article to promote your agenda, All American NYC.
These immigrants are legal, and these bright people posses high academic achievements such that United States are willing to take them as her proud residents.
Um...actually, we don't need them. They depress median wages and they're not better workers than Americans are. In fact, in my experience, they are worse. Especially Indian men. Oh gawd, if I could fire 95% of Indian men here and ship them back to India....my field would ROCK. And if I saw a Chinese or Indian coworker ever take ownership of anything, I'd probably drop dead from shock.

I don't care about your BS degree from some Indian diploma mill or Chinese "education" factory. Take it and go home. We don't need you here.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
From the article. Who could argue with this?

"But critics are concerned that clearing the green-card backlog on top of legalizing many of the 11 million undocumented immigrants would flood the U.S. with millions of new workers who could drive down wages, compete for jobs with Americans, and drive up the costs of public benefits"...
Those waiting to legally immigrate...

Quote:
..."It's a very large increase in the eventual number of green cards and the eventual number of legal permanent residents, and I believe all together it will impose a very large cost on the U.S. taxpayer," said Robert Rector, senior research fellow at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank"...
Legal immigrants...

Quote:
..."Typically, legal immigrants who come to the U.S. on family-related visas have below-average education levels and therefore tend to use more in public benefits than they pay in taxes, Rector said".
Legal immigrants...

Old 06-26-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Those waiting to legally immigrate...

Legal immigrants...

Legal immigrants...
Stop taking the remarks out of context and read the entire paragraphs for once.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Quote:
It's a good article, if read - But specifically covering legal immigration...
It speaks of illegals as well. Did you read the article?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Stop taking the remarks out of context and read the entire paragraphs for once.
All three quotes you sourced in the response labeled legal immigration as a negative factor. Legal immigration in that light is then viewed as no better than illegal immigration. It hard to define the characteristics of illegal immigration as exceptionally bad form when legal immigration is perceived the same way.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
All three quotes you sourced in the response labeled legal immigration as a negative factor. Legal immigration in that light is then viewed as no better than illegal immigration. It hard to define the characteristics of illegal immigration as exceptionally bad form when legal immigration is perceived the same way.
What part of these things aren't you getting?

"But critics are concerned that clearing the green-card backlog "ON TOP OF" legalizing many of the 11 million undocumented immigrants would flood the U.S. with millions of new workers who could drive down wages.

"It's a "VERY LARGE INCREASE" in the eventual number of green cards and the eventual number of legal permanent residents, and I believe all together it will impose a very large cost on the U.S. taxpayer,"

"Typically, legal immigrants who come to the U.S. on "FAMILY RELATED" visas have below-average education levels and therefore tend to use more in public benefits than they pay in taxes, Rector said".

Sorry that facts offend you. None of the above indicates any anti-legal immigration stance per se. Just that we shouldn't be legalizing millions of illegal immigrants along with trying to clear up the backlog for green card applicants and that "typically" the family related visas holders tend to be more of a burden than a benefit.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
It speaks of illegals as well. Did you read the article?
The question for you as the OP, is whether there is any resistance to those 5.5 million that are the focus of the article to gain legal residency...

Old 06-26-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
What part of these things aren't you getting?

"But critics are concerned that clearing the green-card backlog "ON TOP OF" legalizing many of the 11 million undocumented immigrants would flood the U.S. with millions of new workers who could drive down wages.

"It's a "VERY LARGE INCREASE" in the eventual number of green cards and the eventual number of legal permanent residents, and I believe all together it will impose a very large cost on the U.S. taxpayer,"

"Typically, legal immigrants who come to the U.S. on "FAMILY RELATED" visas have below-average education levels and therefore tend to use more in public benefits than they pay in taxes, Rector said".

Sorry that facts offend you. None of the above indicates any anti-legal immigration stance per se. Just that we shouldn't be legalizing millions of illegal immigrants along with trying to clear up the backlog for green card applicants and that "typically" the family related visas holders tend to be more of a burden than a benefit.
It's not as hard as you are making it to just say you dislike legal immigration as much as illegal immigration...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or