U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 01:41 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Race IS part of the underlying issue...sorry to inform you.

If 12 million non English speaking Swedes were invading the border, this conversation would still exist, but the tone would be different.

But by the same token, if The Congo was our border neighbor instead of Mexico, that border fence would've been built a century ago and high enough that an airplane couldn't get over it...let alone a human.

I mean, lets keep it real and at least be truthful about where we stand. Geez.
Language is a race now?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So one should conform to "this country?" What does that even mean? And why should anyone conform to others "out of respect of the country?" That is just a slap in the face to personal freedom.
I told you this in other threads. If you don't understand. I don't think you ever will.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This is exactly how they think. They think they are more American than anyone else. They believe that they are the "real Americans". The rest of us are just messing up their country.
Explain yourself.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:44 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Race IS part of the underlying issue...sorry to inform you.

If 12 million non English speaking Swedes were invading the border, this conversation would still exist, but the tone would be different.

But by the same token, if The Congo was our border neighbor instead of Mexico, that border fence would've been built a century ago and high enough that an airplane couldn't get over it...let alone a human.

I mean, lets keep it real and at least be truthful about where we stand. Geez.
Let's look at history, too, shall we? Millions of white Europeans have come here in very large numbers, especially after 1800. Most of them had no issues with the Americans already living here, with the Italians and Irish being the exceptions. Italians were regarded as dirty and filthy (tanned skin, dark hair) while for the Irish it was because they were Catholic. But, every other group held on to their language and customs, even language schools and media in their native language flourished in their communities. The US was much more multilingual back then, but no one said anything. Nowadays, the WASPs are in uproar for the very same thing that happened more than 100 years ago, except this time it's the brown people moving in, and they don't like it no matter how much they claim otherwise. I'm not addressing anyone specifically on this board, but out there in the real world there are a lot of people who think along the lines the Nativists on here and they are racist. I don't know how Oldglory actually feels in real life, anyone can say anything on here and we'd be none the wiser, but the fact is the majority of people against illegal immigration are most likely racist, right-wing white male Boomers.

Regarding some of the posters on here (again, I'm not mentioning any names) if you read the tone of their posts, it's no wonder a lot of them can be easily accused of being racist at worst, or just garden variety prejudice at best

Old 06-26-2013, 01:46 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
We ARE more American than criminals that sneek into our country and have not gone through the process to become a US citizen. THEY ARE NOT AMERICANS.
If they are born here, they are American, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:48 PM

31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
We ARE more American than criminals that sneek into our country and have not gone through the process to become a US citizen. THEY ARE NOT AMERICANS.
Exactly. This person's lies and spin is unbelievable. I have nothing against any ethnic group coming here legally, respecting our laws and not being a burden on our society. She doesn't seem to understand the difference. It's always about race to these idiots.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Let's look at history, too, shall we? Millions of white Europeans have come here in very large numbers, especially after 1800. Most of them had no issues with the Americans already living here, with the Italians and Irish being the exceptions. Italians were regarded as dirty and filthy (tanned skin, dark hair) while for the Irish it was because they were Catholic. But, every other group held on to their language and customs, even language schools and media in their native language flourished in their communities. The US was much more multilingual back then, but no one said anything. Nowadays, the WASPs are in uproar for the very same thing that happened more than 100 years ago, except this time it's the brown people moving in, and they don't like it no matter how much they claim otherwise. I'm not addressing anyone specifically on this board, but out there in the real world there are a lot of people who think along the lines the Nativists on here and they are racist. I don't know how Oldglory actually feels in real life, anyone can say anything on here and we'd be none the wiser, but the fact is the majority of people against illegal immigration are most likely racist, right-wing white male Boomers.

Regarding some of the posters on here (again, I'm not mentioning any names) if you read the tone of their posts, it's no wonder a lot of them can be easily accused of being racist at worst, or just garden variety prejudice at best
1.This massive illegal immigration is a recent phenomena.

2.Its distasteful for compare criminals to people who have respect for the law.

3. Prior legal immigrants came from different backgrounds but assimilated to the American way. When has any country in history assimilated to the immigrant?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:53 PM

31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
It is so sad that folk believe...have beed sold a myth... that they are the owners of country they barely know. How sad for these people to believe they are losing something they never had and never was thiers.
The owners of this country are every citizen of every ethnic group. Who has said otherwise? The fact is however that we do have a demographic white majority, English is our language along with an identifying culture. Why do facts bother you so much? Should I be bothered that Hispanics dominate Mexico and that Spanish is the language there? Why the double standard for the U.S.?

Yes, with continued illegal immigration we will lose all of the above but that is somehow not something we should object to?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:55 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,209,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If they are born here, they are American, no ifs, ands, or buts.
If they are born here then they don't need amnesty and neither do their family members.

USCIS - Family of U.S. Citizens

Old 06-26-2013, 01:55 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,265,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I told you this in other threads. If you don't understand. I don't think you ever will.
So if a Mexican starts eating cheese burgers and speaking American, you would be cool with them? Sounds like you are against individual freedom. What about Mexicans that come here legally and still choose to hold onto their Mexican culture instead of conforming to "American culture?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or