U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:30 PM

9,138 posts, read 6,502,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I have a few friends that don't get to stay when they finish their degree, but an illegal working at McD's would get to stay under an amnesty program. How is this fair and why do people support this policy?

Not that I support this, but if an illegal immigrant has a kid in the USA the kid can get them (and the rest of the family that may not be here) a green card.

How the United States Immigration System Works: A Fact Sheet | Immigration Policy Center
At least be correct in your terminology. There is no amnesty. If CIR passes and is signed into law, aliens in the US unlawfully, would [upon appyling for] recieve temporary lawful status until they met the requirements to apply for permanent status...then citizenship.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:34 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,236,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
At least be correct in your terminology. There is no amensty. If CIR passes and is signed into law, aliens in the US unlawfully, would [upon appyling for] recieve temporary lawful status until they met the requirements to apply for permenant status...then citizenship.
There is no law...yet. The proposed bill would not be contingent upon the illegal immigrant doing anything, rather, upon certain benchmarks being met by the US government.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:36 PM

5,122 posts, read 5,983,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I'm a liberal ............ Too me, its simply, if one side is for it/against it the other side has the opposite opinion.
Herein lies the problem.......

Party (team) politics has destroyed common sense. The entire country suffers because of it. The entire country will likely cease to exist because a vocal few feel they need to bully their views upon the rest of us.

YC.......

Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,095,370 times
Quote:
I could be completely wrong in this answer, but I think alot of it has to do with the polarization of this country. I'm a liberal and the only reason I give a damn about immigration is simply because of the hatred that comes from conservatives. I think if the GOP wasn't so hostile to anybody not white, you probably wouldn't have so many liberals defending immigration. Too me, its simply, if one side is for it/against it the other side has the opposite opinion.
That sums up my feelings pretty well. As the conservatives have moved farther and farther to the right, I find myself opposed to everything they support. If the GOP and Tea Party are in favor of something, it is safe to assume that it is not something that I want to actually see happen. Their attempts to take the country back to a bygone era and the desperation that is evident in their desire to maintain the white, Christian male "Real American" power structure is disgusting.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:51 PM

9,138 posts, read 6,502,214 times
Quote:
There is no law...yet. The proposed bill would not be contingent upon the illegal immigrant doing anything, rather, upon certain benchmarks being met by the US government.

that is not correct.

Amnesty requires no actions or reprecussions. There is no forgiveness of crimes committed nor or forgiveness of fines to be imposed.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:55 PM

33,496 posts, read 14,636,270 times
Quote:
I could be completely wrong in this answer, but I think alot of it has to do with the polarization of this country. I'm a liberal and the only reason I give a damn about immigration is simply because of the hatred that comes from conservatives. I think if the GOP wasn't so hostile to anybody not white, you probably wouldn't have so many liberals defending immigration. Too me, its simply, if one side is for it/against it the other side has the opposite opinion.
" I give a damn about immigration is simply because of the hatred that comes from conservatives."

Being a conservative and talkig with many of my conservatives friends, we always wonder where people come up with this type of opinion.

Please help me figure out why you think we all hate so much.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 PM

31,899 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
At least be correct in your terminology. There is no amnesty. If CIR passes and is signed into law, aliens in the US unlawfully, would [upon appyling for] recieve temporary lawful status until they met the requirements to apply for permanent status...then citizenship.
There is no reform in rewarding illegals by allowing them to remain here on a temporary lawful status because the actual laws aren't being "reformed". It is amnesty pure an simple even with some so-called penalties. The only thing that wouldn't make it amnesty would be if they were required to return to their homelands and apply to come legally like everyone else.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:23 PM

31,899 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" I give a damn about immigration is simply because of the hatred that comes from conservatives."

Being a conservative and talkig with many of my conservatives friends, we always wonder where people come up with this type of opinion.

Please help me figure out why you think we all hate so much.
Not only that but these people are willing to see our country destroyed by illegal immigration and amnesty just because they hate conservatives? WTH?

Old 06-27-2013, 02:41 PM

2,547 posts, read 1,787,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Most people do not support this according to every single legitimate poll out there. This is a DC/business bill and what Americans want is irrelevant.
And what legitimate polls may that be?

Old 06-27-2013, 02:52 PM

2,547 posts, read 1,787,646 times
Quote:
I have a few friends that don't get to stay when they finish their degree, but an illegal working at McD's would get to stay under an amnesty program. How is this fair and why do people support this policy?

Not that I support this, but if an illegal immigrant has a kid in the USA the kid can get them (and the rest of the family that may not be here) a green card.

How the United States Immigration System Works: A Fact Sheet | Immigration Policy Center
I will answer your question from my point of view. First of all amnesty and giving someone a chance to admit guilt and pass stringent standards to achieve legal status is not amnesty.

For the last 3 decades the government of this country turned a blind eye to the open borders as if to say,
"Come on over, we won't stop you". Now 30 years later some, and clearly not the majority according to the polls want them all out. The situation of those we educate and send home as you mentioned needs to be addressed as well.

Now everyone can take a turn bashing me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or