U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 01:19 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,987,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Doubling the amount of Border Patrol agents in the Southwest seems hard to imagine for me - We crossed over briefly last Saturday, and saw about 50 deployed Border Patrol vehicles over the span of just a couple hours. If that doubles, someone could drive along the border, and see an agent every minute or two.

I'm sure Ford appreciates selling (and maintaining) all of those custom pickups, vans, and Crown Vics. The small border communities probably get quite a bit of their economy from the agents. What is the cost in our taxes from that however?
Because you take roads and cross at the border crossings.

Try going a different route next time..like wading across the Rio Grande in the middle of the night.
There's a lot more to the border than the main highways that lead to crossings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 03:10 PM

31,804 posts, read 14,647,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
What is the cost to taxpayers of educating large families, providing social services for them, and the closing of many hospitals where they are sorely needed?

One must weigh one cost against the other, to be fair.
Exactly! How can one put a price on the security of our borders? It isn't just illegals getting in but criminals and possible terrorists also. Yeah, let em weigh the costs of having illegals here opposed to stopping them from coming here in the first place or allowing them to remain here.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,904,581 times
We can put the entire US Army on the border. If our Fed refuses to enforce our laws it will be a waste of time and money.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:20 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,017,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because you take roads and cross at the border crossings.

Try going a different route next time..like wading across the Rio Grande in the middle of the night.
There's a lot more to the border than the main highways that lead to crossings.
By the amount of deployed agents, the Border Patrol obviously thinks that illegal aliens take those same routes (I'll talk about that trip more). I can't reveal which particular roads I travel, it would show where I live. One stalker sending me e-mail about driving by my house and taking pictures of me "and one of your spouse's kids" is enough.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,904,581 times
Quote:
By the amount of deployed agents, the Border Patrol obviously thinks that illegal aliens take those same routes (I'll talk about that trip more). I can't reveal which particular roads I travel, it would show where I live. One stalker sending me e-mail about driving by my house and taking pictures of me "and one of your spouse's kids" is enough.
Anyone who would send such a dm is a demonstrated coward. Some people have 0 class. This is America.. We are allowed to disagree in a free society. We disagree at times in fact in the past often. I never found cause to ever not respect your right to your beliefs.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Anyone who would send such a dm is a demonstrated coward. Some people have 0 class. This is America.. We are allowed to disagree in a free society. We disagree at times in fact in the past often. I never found cause to ever not respect your right to your beliefs.
To be clear, it was not any messaging through C-D, nor any member here. This behavior has been over the span of many years, it just came a little closer this time. That's all I am going to say publicly.

Just be aware that some may be watching:

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 07-02-2013 at 10:04 PM..

Old 07-03-2013, 03:28 AM

33,186 posts, read 39,195,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

A permanent barrier would have been a better solution, with a patrol and removing any buildings and brush on our side to help prevent tunneling.

I'd suspect the vast majority of illegals cross the borders legitimately by car,bus or plane under the pretext of going to visit family,shopping for the weekend,vacation etc,once in the country is where they then become illegal by not returning to their home country.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:16 AM

31,804 posts, read 14,647,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I agree, it takes a demented mind to stalk someone just because they don't agree with your views. I have had people stalk me on the internet and track my IP address. It is very unnerving and totally uncalled for. I would never do that to anyone.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,987,095 times
Quote:
Don't give away any personal information on a public forum, especially since you got that DM.
But maybe the additional deployed guards at official border crossings is more show than anything else.

It's the unguarded areas where they are crossing the most.
Plenty of Texas ranchers at the border report worn trails across their properties.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Don't give away any personal information on a public forum, especially since you got that DM...
Again, it was not a "DM" contact, or anyone I commonly respond to at C-D. My wife posted a Facebook picture that provided my father's name, and a guy I've known to lurk around for the last several years was reminded to poke at me through a work-related (published in only one specific spot) address. Normally I don't heavily conceal who I am in real life, but the really bad thing is you can't notch that back later on the Internet.

Quote:
...But maybe the additional deployed guards at official border crossings is more show than anything else.

It's the unguarded areas where they are crossing the most.
Plenty of Texas ranchers at the border report worn trails across their properties.
I can't figure out why so many member besmirch the hard-working Border Patrol guys...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or