Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And salaries would go up as ten million unemployed find jobs creating pressure to paymore, to get better qualified individuals..
You know, now that I think about it, all the griping and moaning about Walmart and fast food being low wage would most likely be cured as their worker pool dried up. We saw it when we lived in MT. In quick succession several businesses opened up reducing the labor pool to the point where the only unemployed people were those that A.didn't want to work B. Couldn't pass a drug screen. This quickly forced a pay hike for everyone in the valley as Lowes,Home Depot, a shopping center and new Costco opened.
Starting wage at McDonalds shot up to $15 hr and Walmart had to jump starting wages by a buck or two and hour and give an across the board raise to keep workers.
Heck, the local 18 screen movie theater was paying $12 per hour and advertising about how you'd get to bring your family to the movies for free.

Wages are all about supply and demand. Reduce supply, wages will rise until they get filled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 08:02 PM

10 posts, read 9,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Good. I don't care what side you are on. The economic ramifications of sending all the illegals home are enormous. We'd go straight into another recession, possibly worse.
This is unsupported hyperbole.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:05 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Thank God for the House GOP.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Good. I don't care what side you are on. The economic ramifications of sending all the illegals home are enormous. We'd go straight into another recession, possibly worse.
???? That's absurd -- their own country is doing much much better with them gone. Our economy is in terrible shape with millions of the most impoverished uneducated pouring over the border to get in our government handouts. They can't afford our high cost of living with their less than third grade educations and inability to ever learn our language.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:29 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
It does but it's dead in the House, hopefully. Besides Obama isn't enforcing the law anyway

Old 06-27-2013, 09:12 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Doubtful, though unemployment would drop like a rock.
I don't agree with doubtful, but you might be correct about unemployment. But the question remains. At what cost? I'll answer below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Do you have some link or reference to back up this statement?
I will in a moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Haha, it would create so many dam jobs that our economy would explode while cutting down on the amount we spend on welfare.. The new Democratic spin, creating jobs = a recession..
Create what jobs? The jobs are already there. Remember what happened when we scared off all the migrants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Please adjust her tin hat to the proper frequency.
And here's where I will begin. According to chron.com, it costs $12,500 to deport one person. ICE reveals cost for deporting each illegal immigrant | Immigration Chronicles | a Chron.com blog According to Statisticians Claim There Are 11 Million Illegal Immigrants in the U.S. — But How Did They Get That Figure? | TheBlaze.com which is most certainly a right leaning website, there are 11 million illegals in this country. 11 million times 13,000 (I adjusted conservatively for inflation) is equal to 143,000,000,000. According to FAIR, illegals cost 113,000,000,000 a year. From that alone, we are 30 billion dollar in the red. This does not take into account all the job losses. If we deport every illegal, we remove 3.6 percent of the population. Therefore, 144,000 teachers are out of work. If we assume every teacher would get the 400 dollars a week for 26 weeks, 1,497,600,000 is lost. Now we are at about 31.5 billion. This is excluding the rest of the people that would lose their jobs as a result of losing 3.6 percent of the population. They will all collect unemployment. We would need less of everyone. And as stated above, farmers lost a lot when we scared off migrants the previous year. To deport every illegal would destroy the farm industry. The government would have to pick up the slack, which would cost billions upon billions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
???? That's absurd -- their own country is doing much much better with them gone. Our economy is in terrible shape with millions of the most impoverished uneducated pouring over the border to get in our government handouts. They can't afford our high cost of living with their less than third grade educations and inability to ever learn our language.
Millions? Even Fox says you are wrong. http://www.fairus.org/DocServer/USCostStudy_2010.pdf

Old 06-28-2013, 06:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
I don't agree with doubtful, but you might be correct about unemployment. But the question remains. At what cost? I'll answer below.

I will in a moment.

Create what jobs? The jobs are already there. Remember what happened when we scared off all the migrants?

And here's where I will begin. According to chron.com, it costs $12,500 to deport one person. ICE reveals cost for deporting each illegal immigrant | Immigration Chronicles | a Chron.com blog According to Statisticians Claim There Are 11 Million Illegal Immigrants in the U.S. — But How Did They Get That Figure? | TheBlaze.com which is most certainly a right leaning website, there are 11 million illegals in this country. 11 million times 13,000 (I adjusted conservatively for inflation) is equal to 143,000,000,000. According to FAIR, illegals cost 113,000,000,000 a year. From that alone, we are 30 billion dollar in the red. This does not take into account all the job losses. If we deport every illegal, we remove 3.6 percent of the population. Therefore, 144,000 teachers are out of work. If we assume every teacher would get the 400 dollars a week for 26 weeks, 1,497,600,000 is lost. Now we are at about 31.5 billion. This is excluding the rest of the people that would lose their jobs as a result of losing 3.6 percent of the population. They will all collect unemployment. We would need less of everyone. And as stated above, farmers lost a lot when we scared off migrants the previous year. To deport every illegal would destroy the farm industry. The government would have to pick up the slack, which would cost billions upon billions.

Millions? Even Fox says you are wrong. http://www.fairus.org/DocServer/USCostStudy_2010.pdf
Just one little thing. You need to add in the expense of those "400 teachers" that are now working due to people who shouldn't be here. Salary,benefits,facilities,staffing etc that would be gone under your scenario.
Those expenses alone would eat up any cost of unemployment/retraining.
We don't need to deport 'em, just enforce the law and make it impossible for 'em to gain employment unless they've got real papers. If it hurts an industry temporarily then so be it, they've enjoyed doing business illegally for far too long on others money.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:06 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
What would the ramifications be of passing smaller bills that directly focus on things such as E-verify, and actually fixing what's broken with our immigration system instead of focus on rewarding illegals?
Your assumption is based upon the USA having to deport 11 million people. If you remove the ability for them to work and make life impossible for them, they will self deport. We have seen this already in states where they cracked down on illegals. They leave on their own. Do this nationwide and they will self deport.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:07 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:

I will in a moment.

Are you not aware that only 3% of illegals are working in the agricultural industry? Even for those jobs there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign ag workers. So why the need for illegals to do those jobs? It is simple greed on the part of the growers.

When you factor in all the billions for the social costs of these illegals, the remittances they send back home and don't spend in our economy, the lost jobs and reduced wages for Americans no they are not a benefit to our economy. It is quite the opposite.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:24 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
So, does this bill let illegal aliens who broke our laws, stay?

While keeping out the people who applied legally and are waiting patiently to get in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration