Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 06:36 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,865,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Many illegals do not have any criminal history, so a criminal background check would not get them rejected by aa landlord, plus some illegals have multiple working IDs, and thus might have a criminal record under a false identity while using a second 'clean' identity to use with landlords.
In most states; illegal aliens CAN'T have US drivers licenses so no US ID: NO rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 07:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
So you want to deputize landlords and turn them into immigration agents?

It's not the job of a landlord to check the status of tenants. What's next, making landlords drug test their tenants?

Nanny staters at work
No not deputize. Put tools in place so that they can verify legal status. When I rented I had to fill out a lease form that included my SSN.
Expand E-verify so that landlords can check on applicants. Then hold them accountable for knowingly renting to illegals.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:49 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,183,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Many illegals do not have any criminal history, so a criminal background check would not get them rejected by aa landlord, plus some illegals have multiple working IDs, and thus might have a criminal record under a false identity while using a second 'clean' identity to use with landlords.
I think it would be ok to require their SS number.......that they are required to have are they not.?..We need to seal up all of the cracks these people seem to find .Requiring a valid verified id is a good way to seal a few cracks.Those who dont want to seal up these cracks are pro illegal .

Old 06-30-2013, 01:13 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,863,356 times
I used to be a landlord and the owner of the building in Los Angeles said that I could easily refuse to rent to Illegal aliens and it would be legal to do so.

I thought she was wrong until she explained that:

1. A renter would have to have a legal means of income

2. Illegals have NO LEGAL right to work in the USA and therefore would not have ( technically) a LEGIT/ DOCUMENTABLE means of income and could be denied on that basis.

The owner was a French immigrant herself that had lived in Madrid , Spain for several years and was fluent in several languages and she had several tenants from Mexico and Central America and race wasn't an issue at all.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:35 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If a woman tenant gets raped because the landlord was bringing in criminal illegals, shouldn't the landlord be held liable?
What would the citizenship status of a rapist have to do with it?

Do you think an immigrant or illegal alien is more likely to be a rapist?

Do you think the landlord would be liable under the same circumstances if a female tenant got raped by a US citizen?

Old 06-30-2013, 07:42 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,183,989 times
The pro illegals don't seem to realise that these foreigners who have broken laws to even be here have almost always come from a third world country. What does that mean as far as crime? Third world countries don't have a culture of civic responsibility and culture that promotes obeying the laws. This is one of the things that makes them third world countries. Many are too ignorant to even KNOW our laws yet the pro illegals think dumping millions of them directly into our neighborhoods dont affect the safety and well being of our established citizens. The pro illegals never seem to want to talk about this it seems..I want the man living next door to my beautiful wife and little children to have a legal identity which goes along with his accountability to OBEY the laws..

Old 06-30-2013, 08:53 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,865,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
The pro illegals don't seem to realise that these foreigners who have broken laws to even be here have almost always come from a third world country. What does that mean as far as crime? Third world countries don't have a culture of civic responsibility and culture that promotes obeying the laws. This is one of the things that makes them third world countries. Many are too ignorant to even KNOW our laws yet the pro illegals think dumping millions of them directly into our neighborhoods dont affect the safety and well being of our established citizens. The pro illegals never seem to want to talk about this it seems..I want the man living next door to my beautiful wife and little children to have a legal identity which goes along with his accountability to OBEY the laws..
Agreed.

Tho the legal aliens like from Mexico DO usually follow the rules here in the US even if MOST of Mexico is a mess. OTOH: some American meth head or crack head WON'T be rented to since they have no references AND most of them have no legal income. They're "3rd world" like as in "dog eat dog".

Old 06-30-2013, 09:10 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,927,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
It is a long time common practice for landlords to check the history of want to be renters. Things like credit scores and job history are checked so why would you object to also checking to SEE IF THEY ARE EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE IN THIS COUNTRY? Only a pro illegal would worry about this.
Seems the US 5th circuit court is pro-illegal, because they ruled it was not the right or obligation landlords or the city [Framer's Branch, Texas]to check immigration status of renters.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
What would the citizenship status of a rapist have to do with it?

Do you think an immigrant or illegal alien is more likely to be a rapist?

Do you think the landlord would be liable under the same circumstances if a female tenant got raped by a US citizen?
Require background checks for ALL tenants and don't rent to the citizen rapists either.

The reason illegals might more likely be rapists is that they did their raping back home and just arrived here and so are not on any registered sex offender lists. For example many women and girls in Juarez were raped and murdered and most of the rapist-murderers were never caught. Many easily could be living it up in the USA now.

I don't know if it's state laws, but registered child sex offenders here cannot rent a house to families with children.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:09 AM

50,155 posts, read 46,811,218 times
In summary, you can rent to who you want. No one can force you to rent to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration