U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the US the "land of opportunities"?
Yes 18 72.00%
No 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:27 AM

236 posts, read 399,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Paaalease.....
Today like anytime in US history you can be what ever you work hard for to be...
What holds americans back is that we have become a nation of entitlment. People feel everyone owes them something.... Thus extravigent lawsuits.
I spilled coffee on my crotch. Its not my fault its its McDonalds fault!!! They have bucks I'll sue them.
I fell off my ladder when I stood on the top step with only 3 of the 4 legs firmly on the ground. Its not my fault its its the ladder company's fault for not warning me enough.
Immigrants come here work hard and live the dream... How? Why? Because they dont max out their credit, they save and build. In short they think smarter and work harder. They dont feel entitled to what they didnt earn.
I grew up on a poor dairy farm of 40 cows. Worked at times 18 hours a day in the summer. Thats life on a small farm. Went into the navy. Served my country as best I could. Got out and struggled for awhile working 2 and 3 jobs. Finally my work ethic and good name helped land me a great job....
I am the american dream come true. I own a great house on about 8 acres. My debt is low. Why? Because I worked extra jobs and saved rather than finance my self into a hole. ALL Americans have this opprotunity..... Not just some. I am not rich but I live well. Plead your case to those in 3rd world nations and see what they have to say...

I remember when I believed the same thing about the McDonalds coffee lawsuit. BUT in my Business law class we had to study that lawsuit and you would not believe what happened to that lady. She was 70 something years old. 3rd degree burns. 3 weeks in the hospital. Skin graphs. And the coffee was hotter than any coffee sold anywhere else. If you ever get a chance read up on that lawsuit you would be suprised. But aside from this I do agree that there are to many frivilous lawsuits. We are not entiled to anything but equality. Hard work is how you achieve the American Dream.
I hate when someone makes the statement that illegals work the jobs that Americans wont do. Or American's are lazy and won't do manual labor. How many times does it have to be said that Americans will work in the fields, mow laws, work in factories,etc. if they are paid a fair wage. The employers who are paying cash under the table, employing undocumented workers, or paying less than minimum wage need to be punished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 11:33 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,895,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasgt2005 View Post
I remember when I believed the same thing about the McDonalds coffee lawsuit. BUT in my Business law class we had to study that lawsuit and you would not believe what happened to that lady. She was 70 something years old. 3rd degree burns. 3 weeks in the hospital. Skin graphs. And the coffee was hotter than any coffee sold anywhere else. If you ever get a chance read up on that lawsuit you would be suprised. But aside from this I do agree that there are to many frivilous lawsuits. We are not entiled to anything but equality. Hard work is how you achieve the American Dream.
I hate when someone makes the statement that illegals work the jobs that Americans wont do. Or American's are lazy and won't do manual labor. How many times does it have to be said that Americans will work in the fields, mow laws, work in factories,etc. if they are paid a fair wage. The employers who are paying cash under the table, employing undocumented workers, or paying less than minimum wage need to be punished.
OH so true.
The coffee incident from what I understand it was later over turned. But even if the coffee was hot placing the paper cup or what ever between her thighs was a bit stupid.
I actually sat on a jury for a hair spray accident involving a 12 year old identical twin. Pm me if you want the details. She won her case and I am proud to have been apart of that.
Americans are not so much lazy as they are expectant of the freeby. That is our greatest downfall today.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:36 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,491,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
OH so true.
The coffee incident from what I understand it was later over turned. But even if the coffee was hot placing the paper cup or what ever between her thighs was a bit stupid.
I actually sat on a jury for a hair spray accident involving a 12 year old identical twin. Pm me if you want the details. She won her case and I am proud to have been apart of that.
Americans are not so much lazy as they are expectant of the freeby. That is our greatest downfall today.
I have worked for everything I have and that ain't much, but it wern't no freebie. I don't think most Americans are lazy, and most will do any kind of work they have to to support their families. Before we sue we need to ask, Was I part of the problem? I'm not talking about the case you were on.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
I have worked for everything I have and that ain't much, but it wern't no freebie. I don't think most Americans are lazy, and most will do any kind of work they have to to support their families. Before we sue we need to ask, Was I part of the problem? I'm not talking about the case you were on.
Understood. LOL I blame the lawyers and gullable juries for most lawsuits.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:09 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,224,549 times
Lot's of great posts in this thread. One thing that comes to mind after reading them all is the one thing becoming lacking in our society. That one thing is the lack of personal responsibility. People don't want to take personal responsibility. They want to place the blame elsewhere when they don't succeed in this country or they do something dumb and sue someone else. What ever happened to good old personal responsibility? Have we become a country of whinners or what?

Old 11-08-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Lot's of great posts in this thread. One thing that comes to mind after reading them all is the one thing becoming lacking in our society. That one thing is the lack of personal responsibility. People don't want to take personal responsibility. They want to place the blame elsewhere when they don't succeed in this country or they do something dumb and sue someone else. What ever happened to good old personal responsibility? Have we become a country of whinners or what?
That about sums it up....

Old 11-08-2007, 04:26 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,491,651 times
Quote:
We have become brain washed by TV ads by attorneys.....Stub my toe in your store call 555-1234 sue them bad guys.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:43 PM

1,510 posts, read 710,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
America IS the land of opportunity. At least for now. But if there's one single key to economic success in this country it's education, and most illegal aliens come here illiterate not only in English, but in Spanish as well. Most illegal aliens are so illiterate in their own language, in their own native tongue, that when the Mexican government hands out directions on how to sneak across our border they have to do it in the form of a comic book.

In short most illegal aliens from south of our border don't even have the educational tools to succeed in their own country, so it's no surprise they struggle their entire lives when they pick themselves up and move to a foreign country where most of them are functionally illiterate.

For the most part they can only take entry level jobs, which pay less and less in real wages as our underclass in this country keeps expanding. Which is happening primarily due to the fact we have so many illegal aliens coming here. Which destroys entry level wages and opportunities for our own poor. The illegals infest an area, destroy entry level wages and opportunities in that area, then they move on to the next area. The result is today we even have illegals in remote areas of our country.

Our underclass will keep expanding and expanding. Our middle-class will keep shrinking and shrinking. And in a generation our politicians will all point fingers at each other blaming the other guy for our sad economic state. So is America still the land of opportunity? Of course, at least for another decade or two.
the US has no official language. and if we dont want language to be a dividing factor, we should all strive to learn a few..

america has destroyed its middle class on its own. the influx of illegal workers isnt helping reestablish a middle class, but this is the fault of our government and money printing, not workers. if you dont want them to be uneducated and poor, show them that the US is the land of opportunities, and give them one. educate them and give them a shot at being productive beyond what they have now. make the immigration process free and quick so they have no incentive to come here illegally. we can definitely use their services and tax money! and then we can restore our schools, teach appropriate classes (personal finance, unedited history [christopher columbus did not discover america, etc.]), and have a more broad vocational/technical-influenced high school system, for those that are opting out of college. it wouldnt hurt to make college education free, either.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:44 PM

1,510 posts, read 710,889 times
Quote:
which is why we all need to stop blaming our shortcomings on illegal aliens!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 05:49 PM

9,309 posts, read 25,686,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
America IS the land of opportunity. At least for now. But if there's one single key to economic success in this country it's education, and most illegal aliens come here illiterate not only in English, but in Spanish as well. Most illegal aliens are so illiterate in their own language, in their own native tongue, that when the Mexican government hands out directions on how to sneak across our border they have to do it in the form of a comic book.

In short most illegal aliens from south of our border don't even have the educational tools to succeed in their own country, so it's no surprise they struggle their entire lives when they pick themselves up and move to a foreign country where most of them are functionally illiterate.

For the most part they can only take entry level jobs, which pay less and less in real wages as our underclass in this country keeps expanding. Which is happening primarily due to the fact we have so many illegal aliens coming here. Which destroys entry level wages and opportunities for our own poor. The illegals infest an area, destroy entry level wages and opportunities in that area, then they move on to the next area. The result is today we even have illegals in remote areas of our country.

Our underclass will keep expanding and expanding. Our middle-class will keep shrinking and shrinking. And in a generation our politicians will all point fingers at each other blaming the other guy for our sad economic state. So is America still the land of opportunity? Of course, at least for another decade or two.
Excellent post, Hawkeye . . . BEAUTIFULLY STATED!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or